Cheese and Wine to go up?

Gandtee

With a currency which is well overvalued namely the Bhat and due for a fall possibly what will our good friends running the supermarkets do?

I really have not noticed any price downs say in the price of Imported cheese, wines, toiletries etc with a rising baht, so the supermarkets are obviously increasing their margins on these products and enjoying greater profitability.

So with a falling baht will the supermarkets accept a lesser margin or will they try to maintain current margins on these imported product. 

Cheese, wine, olive oil, decent cuts of meat etc are way above prices in the western world could they soon become an even greater luxury for us. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Like to know who manipulates the prices on imported wine?  I have cut back 80% in buying due too ridiculous price increases. Noted a 1.5 litre red ( drinkable) has recently gone from 454 baht to 620 baht. No one seems to buy the cardbox wine anymore that has a short shelf life, some dumb prices like 1500 baht  for fruit base wine. Just hope those behind this sting are losing sales and money.

I made a big mistake the other day. Bought a 5 litre box of red wine knocked down from 1500 to 1000 baht. The date showed it as 6 months old which i thought might be OK. It wasn't. I am not fussy but it had clearly gone bad, totally undrinkable. Be careful out there.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Like to know who manipulates the prices on imported wine?  I have cut back 80% in buying due too ridiculous price increases. Noted a 1.5 litre red ( drinkable) has recently gone from 454 baht to 620 baht. No one seems to buy the cardbox wine anymore that has a short shelf life, some dumb prices like 1500 baht  for fruit base wine. Just hope those behind this sting are losing sales and money.

Given up wine, with the falling pound and rising inflation here wine is now an overpriced luxury - certainly at the prices I could afford. I'll stick to beer until things calm down - whenever that may be.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

I miss cheese but didnt buy “falang“ food the last 5 months (cheese, frozen pizza, french fries ) that i would usually eat at home. same for alcohol , chocolate , fruit juices .

Lost plenty of weight without to much effort.

But prices are really insane here in Thailand for cheese , frozen pizza, tomato sauce (barilla etc), most chocolate..

7€ for a frozen ristorante pizza ?

6€ for 200g of the cheapest cheese?

I get the high prices for things that are available from thai brands (japanese rice vs thai rice).

Some things are simply worth avoiding. I love good goat cheese. I buy it for $9-10 a lb. in the US, and carry it back here in my carry on. It costs between 1200 and 2000 baht a kilo here. That is insane. It keeps in the freezer for a long time, though it loses some of it's nice texture if frozen too long. Same with good tequila. I smuggle in as much as I can. If you can find tequila here worth drinking, it is Don Julio silver, at 2,000 baht and up (decent, but not great) or El Jimador (a blue collar tequila in Mexico, but infinitely better than the swill brands you find here, that are export only, and cannot even be found in Mexico, even at $4 a bottle. I will not drink junk (supposedly good) brands like Patron. I usually bring back Casa Noble reposado or anejo, Clase Azul, Fortaleza, San Miguel anejo, Cuervo Reserva de la familia (gorgeous!) and some other very worthy brands. You cannot find them here at any price. A few of the five star hotels have decent brands, at 300-700 baht for a shot! I can buy a full sized bottle of Casa Noble reposado for $40 in the US. And it lasts quite some time. I also bring back alot of dark chocolate. Real quality brands, that cannot be found here. A carry on full of this kind of stuff, and the tequila buried deep within the boxes of supplies. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many food prices jump up and down depending on market, and for imported stuff the currency exchange rate when imported.

I have noticed that cheese is a bit cheaper right now, and even the price for wine is lower than right after the last tax increase – seems like I can continue to afford cheese and red wine despite of the bad exchange rate situation...????

3 hours ago, Farang99 said:

Given up wine, with the falling pound and rising inflation here wine is now an overpriced luxury - certainly at the prices I could afford. I'll stick to beer until things calm down - whenever that may be.

I too have almost given up on drinking wine and yesterday I bought a box of Beer Lao Dark, my favorite beer, in Makro in Ubon, I was surprised at the price, THB 1608 for 24 bottles, last time I bought it was about THB 1300, so THB 67 for a small bottle of Lao beer is expensive too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, perconrad said:

I too have almost given up on drinking wine and yesterday I bought a box of Beer Lao Dark, my favorite beer, in Makro in Ubon, I was surprised at the price, THB 1608 for 24 bottles, last time I bought it was about THB 1300, so THB 67 for a small bottle of Lao beer is expensive too.

It's a joke when you think how much it costs a few miles up the road in Lao..

6 hours ago, Mansinthe said:

A bottle of scotch whisky would set me back 90~110€ here. Back home its 30€. But even the more popular stuff is like double what im used to pay at amazon (free delivery).

Goat cheese is a good example. Or blue cheese... 

But other things are considerable cheaper in Thailand even with the Strong baht.

Your being ripped off if you are paying prices like that in Thailand, or drink some real luxury brand. I buy a bottle of Bells Scotch whisky for 395 baht. I only started buying the Bells because it is now cheaper to buy Bells Scotch whisky than a bottle of Mont Clair fruit wine (the really basic stuff). In the UK, not noted for cheap wine, I can buy a bottle of real wine (nothing special) for one third of the price of Scotch Whisky. A bottle of wine in the UK can be bought for under 4 GBP, or about 40% of the price of Mont Clair here in Thailand. 

Since the wine tax doubled, I haven't seen one person buy a bottle of wine in a supermarket in Thailand. I would really like to know how far sales fell after the tax hike.

Can't eat cheese due to bile duct sludge. Thai wine is undrinkable, they need to import some cellarmasters to teach them about enzymes and stuck ferments. Wouldn't get work permits, though. Not to mention face.

I stick to Scotch and local beer, relatively cheap.

8 hours ago, Artisi said:

If losing money due to reduced sales, time for a major price increase. 

That's a fine example of Thai logic.

They increase prices without thinking, will people buy it? So there it sits on the shelf unsold.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Some things are simply worth avoiding. I love good goat cheese. I buy it for $9-10 a lb. in the US, and carry it back here in my carry on. It costs between 1200 and 2000 baht a kilo here. That is insane. It keeps in the freezer for a long time, though it loses some of it's nice texture if frozen too long. Same with good tequila. I smuggle in as much as I can. If you can find tequila here worth drinking, it is Don Julio silver, at 2,000 baht and up (decent, but not great) or El Jimador (a blue collar tequila in Mexico, but infinitely better than the swill brands you find here, that are export only, and cannot even be found in Mexico, even at $4 a bottle. I will not drink junk (supposedly good) brands like Patron. I usually bring back Casa Noble reposado or anejo, Clase Azul, Fortaleza, San Miguel anejo, Cuervo Reserva de la familia (gorgeous!) and some other very worthy brands. You cannot find them here at any price. A few of the five star hotels have decent brands, at 300-700 baht for a shot! I can buy a full sized bottle of Casa Noble reposado for $40 in the US. And it lasts quite some time. I also bring back alot of dark chocolate. Real quality brands, that cannot be found here. A carry on full of this kind of stuff, and the tequila buried deep within the boxes of supplies. 

I usually bring some cheese back but that will come to an end when they bring in the new scanners at the airport.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I usually bring some cheese back but that will come to an end when they bring in the new scanners at the airport.

Are you not allowed to bring cheese into thailand ?

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Of course you are allowed, but here is the tricky part

Thailand customs allows visitors to enter Thailand with personal effects, the value of which does not exceed 80,000 Baht, without paying import fees as long as: 1) the items are specifically for personal or professional use; 2) the amount of goods are reasonable; and 3) the items are not subject to restriction or prohibition. 

Who gonna determine what is for personal use and reasonable or not?

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I don't think any fresh meat or dairy products are allowed, fairly international that.

The scanners will flag up that there is food in the luggage which will then be checked. The hassle alone will become a deterrent apart from any legality.