Cheese and Wine to go up?

Gandtee

19 hours ago, perconrad said:

I too have almost given up on drinking wine and yesterday I bought a box of Beer Lao Dark, my favorite beer, in Makro in Ubon, I was surprised at the price, THB 1608 for 24 bottles, last time I bought it was about THB 1300, so THB 67 for a small bottle of Lao beer is expensive too.

And the officials are claiming what, 3% inflation? 

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Some things are simply worth avoiding. I love good goat cheese. I buy it for $9-10 a lb. in the US, and carry it back here in my carry on. It costs between 1200 and 2000 baht a kilo here. That is insane. It keeps in the freezer for a long time, though it loses some of it's nice texture if frozen too long. Same with good tequila. I smuggle in as much as I can. If you can find tequila here worth drinking, it is Don Julio silver, at 2,000 baht and up (decent, but not great) or El Jimador (a blue collar tequila in Mexico, but infinitely better than the swill brands you find here, that are export only, and cannot even be found in Mexico, even at $4 a bottle. I will not drink junk (supposedly good) brands like Patron. I usually bring back Casa Noble reposado or anejo, Clase Azul, Fortaleza, San Miguel anejo, Cuervo Reserva de la familia (gorgeous!) and some other very worthy brands. You cannot find them here at any price. A few of the five star hotels have decent brands, at 300-700 baht for a shot! I can buy a full sized bottle of Casa Noble reposado for $40 in the US. And it lasts quite some time. I also bring back alot of dark chocolate. Real quality brands, that cannot be found here. A carry on full of this kind of stuff, and the tequila buried deep within the boxes of supplies. 

And all that tequila is repackaged into 100ml bottles to be able get onto the plane in your carry on? Is the USA the only country that does not require this.  Didn't think so, as they introduced it first. 

Pure fantasy stuff 007.

and here I am, my deepest concern is the recent inability to buy Mekhong anywhere off the shelf in Melbourne! - at an price... 

yes I fly it in now, but twice now have lost a bottle; to (the bottle itself) not surviving the altitude... 

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

And all that tequila is repackaged into 100ml bottles to be able get onto the plane in your carry on? Is the USA the only country that does not require this.  Didn't think so, as they introduced it first. 

Pure fantasy stuff 007.

No. Liquid is never brought within my carry on. Only perishables. The rest is brought within boxes of supplies I bring back from the US. Never had an issue.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, spidermike007 said:

Some things are simply worth avoiding. I love good goat cheese. I buy it for $9-10 a lb. in the US, and carry it back here in my carry on. It costs between 1200 and 2000 baht a kilo here. That is insane. It keeps in the freezer for a long time, though it loses some of it's nice texture if frozen too long. Same with good tequila. I smuggle in as much as I can. If you can find tequila here worth drinking, it is Don Julio silver, at 2,000 baht and up (decent, but not great) or El Jimador (a blue collar tequila in Mexico, but infinitely better than the swill brands you find here, that are export only, and cannot even be found in Mexico, even at $4 a bottle. I will not drink junk (supposedly good) brands like Patron. I usually bring back Casa Noble reposado or anejo, Clase Azul, Fortaleza, San Miguel anejo, Cuervo Reserva de la familia (gorgeous!) and some other very worthy brands. You cannot find them here at any price. A few of the five star hotels have decent brands, at 300-700 baht for a shot! I can buy a full sized bottle of Casa Noble reposado for $40 in the US. And it lasts quite some time. I also bring back alot of dark chocolate. Real quality brands, that cannot be found here. A carry on full of this kind of stuff, and the tequila buried deep within the boxes of supplies. 

Wishbeer has a lot of nice tequila. They don't seems to keep any in stock so you need to order many weeks in advance. 

Screenshot_20190916_142216_com.brave.browser.jpg

Edited by Tayaout

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ran out of Beston Cheddar from Rimping this morning (toasted cheese for breakfast).

Decided to give Gekko a try ........... now my bread & cheese board is truly overloaded.

1Kg Aussie mature cheddar 275Bht, and 1Kg of Danish Blue 210Bht.

The Danish Blue smells really nice.

cheese2.jpg

Seeing we can attempt do digest chit no name Aussie cheddar in Oz for about 150baht a kilo which is probably what you are eating your being ripped at 275baht a kg.

I much prefer a cheese that crumbles a little with a long flavor.

That putrid looking thing on your cheeseboard looks more like a cream slice gone wrong.

1 hour ago, Brer said:

Seeing we can attempt do digest chit no name Aussie cheddar in Oz for about 150baht a kilo which is probably what you are eating your being ripped at 275baht a kg.

That putrid looking thing on your cheeseboard looks more like a cream slice gone wrong.

He is not in Oz. The title of the forum and or maybe website may give that away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brer said:

It's actually slightly crumbly and much stronger than I'm used to eating.

Just tried it.

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nope. It will not change anything. They already x-ray my bags often. Cheese is not what they are looking for.

Two points, firstly you have never had your bags x-rayed with the new machines that are about to be installed at the airports and secondly it is not about cheese, it is about suspicious content and anything with a moisture content will get flagged up. 

Once your bags have been inspected it would be up to customs what happens next.

19 hours ago, sharktooth said:

He is not in Oz. The title of the forum and or maybe website may give that away.

That’s very observant of you, thanks for pointing that out my comprehension of the English language is somewhat lacking being from the colonies mate.