latest requirements by DWP UK

BUSBY

Can anyone provide the latest requirements by DWP UK for recently widowed adult OAP dependent and required documentation please.

Recommend a lawyer who is familiar with UK law re OAP's and can offer useful advice and if needed assistance communicating with the DWP along with approximate fees.

Chonburi area if possible

Thank you

40 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Not sure I would ask them. If they find out you are abroad you will get less pension. Use a UK address if you can.

Well don't why you quote me the OP can ask the question or ring em up there very helpful ya don't need a lawyer to ask a question.

op maybe if you explain in greater detail, ie which family member has died, were they claiming state pension, who wants to claim widows pension etc, etc

all adults receive a pension in their own right, bereavement pensions/lump sum payments have all been stopped.

Thank you Steve,

I am enquiring on behalf of a friends wife.

He has passed on and his Thai wife of 20 years is now his widow.

She is 59 years old but is unable to work due to heart related problems.

He gets an OAP which includes a dependent allowance for her.

There are no dependent children

I am trying to ascertain what she may be able to claim / is entitled to and also wish to put her in touch with a good lawyer in case she needs one who can sort  out whatever is needed at a reasonable price along with a documents check on what is required by the DWP.

Bereavement Payment was a lump sum payment of £2,000 but was stopped on 6th april 2017, and replaced by

Bereavement Support Payment is a benefit for people whose husband, wife or civil partner died on or after 6 April 2017. It is based on the National Insurance contributions that they paid when they were working. It is tax free.

You could be eligible if your husband, wife or civil partner who died either:

• paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks, or
  • died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work.

When they died you must have been:

• under State Pension age, and living in the UK or a country that pays UK bereavement benefits, (note Thailand is not included in this list)

i do not think the widow will be entitled to any benefits from the UK and the state pension will stop on death, private pensions may still be payable , maybe at a reduced rate, the widow would need to earn her own State pension by way of paid national insurance contributions.

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-payment

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-allowance

https://www.gov.uk/widowed-parents-allowance

Thanks for the information Steve also the URL links which I appreciate as I am sure will many other OAP's with Thai partners / spouses.

Sadly she lives in Thailand and therefore won't entitled to anything.

It will also effect many of us with Thai spouses unless anything happens to change things in the future which I do not see happening.

They really are caning us what with cancelling our dependent spouse's allowances from April 2020 ( I got a letter of them referring to it ceasing in July )

Frozen pensions ect ect ect

I guess us OAP' who have paid into the kitty over many years in full plus still look like paying taxes till we expire are an easy target and seemingly count for nothing

aka worthless

In my case I have been happily married for 20 plus years but my wife qualifies for zero unless she lives in the UK.

We have also supported and together built up the UK while living and working there thru good and bad times while many who haven't thru laziness ect. have been well looked after during their many years of idleness, non contributions and not giving a damn about sod all and credited with contributions and full pension rights.

I feel for my neighbours wife who will struggle I am sure now with no support.

I am not looking forward to passing this on to her that's for sure.

Thank you again Steve for the information which many of us where unaware of.

Busby

The only pension she could get is a widow's pension from a company scheme should the deceased have had one.

I made sure my company scheme knew we were married and I have already sent them and had acknowledgement and return of my wife's birth certificate and our wedding certificate, both of which were certified translations.  This just makes it easier for her in the future when I'm not here to do the paperwork.

I registered my wife's details and submitted original documents and translations several years ago to my company who in turn assured me they would be kept on file and recorded.

I do contact them every so often to check everything is ok and the last time they said there is no record of these details ect. and I must resubmit them again.

Prior to coming back this year I contacted them via phone to ask them for an up to date forecast of how much based on my present company pension, she could expect which I have received and due to them shifting the goal posts yet again based on what was also said to send me a new list required by post to my registered Thai address.

Everything on it now differs from what was asked for previously.

On my demise she must contact them via registered letter or phone and she will be sent a form to complete plus having to send certificates plus certified translations of her birth, our marriage and death certificate, the latter being the only one they had not received previously......visualize a sarcastic smile here.

I will have it translated for her along with making sure the required documentation, plus contact info and let her keep it in a safe place until it is needed.

I will also tell her to get at least 3 additional original certified death certificates preferably in English if possible.

Based on my experiences I would offer a recommendation all those who have a company pension to contact them on an annual basis to confirm no changes have been introduced.

The important thing for me is my concern that when I do eventually throw a six rather than it being easy for my wife to claim based on the up to date information provided in Thai and prepared by me will be of no use at all.

The problem with my company and several others at least is they outsource our pensions ect to third parties and they in turn put their own interpretations on what is required and it goes on and on. 

The good thing about my company is they will pay her the full pension for 3 months after my demise.

Good luck

Busby

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, rott said:

Sorry to go slightly off topic, I turned 65 and started drawing the OAP in 2013 as a single man. Had I then been married to a Thai lady would my basic state pension be any higher?

Thanks in advance for any info.

i think the "adult dependency increase" (ADI) pension (This is for a wife, husband or someone who is looking after your children) stopped on 6th April 2010, but anyone on this pension will see the "adult dependency increase" part stopped in 2020, so some will be £70 ish worse off.

see here - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/mar/27/state-pensions-changes

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

i think the "adult dependency increase" (ADI) pension (This is for a wife, husband or someone who is looking after your children) stopped on 6th April 2010, but anyone on this pension will see the "adult dependency increase" part stopped in 2020, so some will be £70 ish worse off.

see here - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/mar/27/state-pensions-changes

Thanks for replying Steve but I am a bit confused by the "stopped in 2020" bit.

If I had married my Thai gf (she has never been to the Uk)either before or after retirement would I be getting a higher basic pension?

Thanks again in advance.

12 minutes ago, rott said:

Thanks for replying Steve but I am a bit confused by the "stopped in 2020" bit.

If I had married my Thai gf (she has never been to the Uk)either before or after retirement would I be getting a higher basic pension?

Thanks again in advance.

if you were married when you retired prior to 2010 you would have received extra money for the wife, ( "adult dependency increase") people that are in receipt of this extra money around £70 a week will cease to receive it after April next year

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

if you were married when you retired prior to 2010 you would have received extra money for the wife, ( "adult dependency increase") people that are in receipt of this extra money around £70 a week will cease to receive it after April next year

I only just made it ,but yes after april next year my pension ,drops by 70 pounds a week . still i am sure the cash is needed for those poor immigrants to our fair land ,who paid in nothing,what do we who paid in all our lives matter?

Archived