Electrical Surge in Chiang Mai - Hang Dong

arcturaz

Pylon transformers and capacitors exploding during a rainstorm is an every day occurence.

Get used to it, it will knock out power to a local village area thats all.

The 5 hour power outage yesterday hit Hang Dong, Saraphi, MaeHia and oddly at a time there was no rain.

Probably upgrading the system somewhere without notifying anyone

That was a cable failing (first flash up high) and coming down. 

Exciting for the people in the white car on the left when it hit the ground (second flash at ground level).

You can see the failed cable dangling later in the video. 

We Live between Mae Hia and Hang Dong. Power outages are not uncommon. At present we are in Phichit on family business. I bought a power surge arrestor in the electrical shop on Wu Alai street. This device protects my fridge from surges and brown outs. I think brown outs ( low voltage ) can damage fridges as there is not enough voltage to run the motor and the current goes high which can burn it out. ( happy to learn if I'm mistaken here - I'm an audio engineer retired.) So this device shuts off the main power until it returns to the correct voltage and waits a further three minutes for it to stabilise.

For peace of mind I recommend one of these units. cheaper than a new fridge.

Sometimes they inform us that the power will be out for 8 hours or so and I have a small generator which keeps the fridge running most of the day - can't have the beer getting warm can we?

I also learnt by experience to shut off the supply to our air conditioners and sensitive items like TVs etc. when we are away as we had a mother board on a new unit possibly burned out by a surge too.  Lightning can be a problem too.

So a few outages are annoying but to be expected - you get what you pay for. Power here is less reliable than Australia but look at the insane prices they have to pay for it there thanks to backward politicians being in bed with the coal lobby.

5 hours ago, Jan Dietz said:

Actually yes, I understand MOVs and avalanche diodes and the likes, but we're talking high voltage wiring dumping into a 240V net here. Tens of kilovolts and amps, not fun.

Sounds like a real disaster with homes loosing all electronics and electric appliances.  In 30 years living here never heard of it on a big scale like hundreds or thousands of homes, only on isolated individual cases infrequently.  Wonder why?

Archived