Car won’t go uphill after service

Gulfsailor

On 9/15/2019 at 12:19 AM, Gulfsailor said:

The mechanic checked the level constantly while filling up bit by bit. I tried finding the level stick for it, but can’t seem to locate it. It’s buried somewhere deep. I’ll look for it again tomorrow. 

They used Dexron 3 I think, which was also listed in the manual (unless that’s for the manual gear transmission, not auto, I can’t read Thai).

That's the 2nd time you mentioned this manual page in Thai. Can you shoot a copy and upload it here as a .pdf or .jpg? One of us Thai readers can verify what you think it says.

44 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Its been mentioned several times. Your not getting any boost from the Turbo. Could be an open waist gate, turbo controller or leaking hose. I'd start with the leading hose. Ask the mechanic to attach a boost gauge after the intercooler and go out for a ride. 

Your spinning your wheels looking at wrong oil or too high or low. Although these can be serious they're not consistent with your symptoms. I used to race (road courses) Volvo turbos and have seen this before. When running a car at high boost (30lb boost) . I had a hose blow off but the car still ran at low speeds. 

Read his post number 19. Seems to say that if he manages to get the revs higher while driving on the flat the vehicle will climb the hill normally and accelerate

On 9/14/2019 at 6:34 PM, Gulfsailor said:

Ah, I’m just reading of the symptoms of a bad mass air flow sensor. That certainly sounds like a possibility. At one point the mechanic did remove the air filter cap and hose completely to get access underneath. Maybe a plug got undone, or the sensor or cable was damaged. I’ll look for visual damage tomorrow.

Without being able to see the vehicle, that would also be one of the things I'd check.  I've seen them damaged durung services before.  Easy to check if you know where it is - unplug it and drive the vehicle.  If your performace issue is cured, that's the problem.

No, its not OK to leave it unplugged - only do it as a test.

13 hours ago, harry1465 said:

once had a rental vehicle and the car stop to a crawl going up a steep hill. when i filled up my gas tank i did not screw the gas cover back on at least 3 clicks. no problem after that. just a thought.

He mentioned the problem exists in D, 1 and 2, so I would guess an auto.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had the opportunity to visit the Toyota garage today after checking many things before myself. I explained the problem, and after a little while inside the back it came back with the diagnosis that the gas filter needed replacing. Only after I googled the part number and some further research did I understand it’s a vacuum gas filter thingy on one of the thin steel directly behind the engine. Still don’t know it’s function. But it’s cheap to replace, so I’ll give that a go. Part needs to be ordered though, so may take a week. 

I’ll update once it has been replaced. 

from what you've posted it seems the only varied factor is the angle of the vehicle. Would indicate something fluid is amiss. Do you have anything in your fuel tank or carburetor that moves backward as the front end rises? Maybe shavings in the transmission as you said the filter wasn't replaced. They float up and out during the incline and filter back down when level again?

Ah, I’m just reading of the symptoms of a bad mass air flow sensor. That certainly sounds like a possibility. At one point the mechanic did remove the air filter cap and hose completely to get access underneath. Maybe a plug got undone, or the sensor or cable was damaged. I’ll look for visual damage tomorrow.

Click and Clack diagnosed a bad mass air flow sensor recently.
Do they lost the susbjects by episode, in which case u may learn something.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived