which internet service for fastest INTERNATIONAL speed?

phungo

Far too many factors involved to give an answer. Other things influence speed such as VPN's, demand, location, time of day, DNS Server, type of connection, web page complexity etc. Actually I find Thiavisa's web page with all its scrips takes longer to fully open than many of the European sites I visit.

I have not read about one particular ISP having a bad international speed, think they are all much the same.

Living out in the sticks my only option is to use TOT Fibre 2U. I have the 50mb/15mb basic package and have left TOT settings other than change the DNS to Cloudflare. With no VPN my downloads max out the connection so no international problem there. In the evenings with two TV's streaming, wife using TOT's IPTV for local channels and me watching international content, I can not remember when we last had buffering issues.

Personally if you are looking into buying a package I would first checkout what your neighbours are using than asking on a forum such as this. Everyone's circumstances are different and that will most probably be reflected in the answers.

There is no consensus...because few have tried them all....many do not have access to the various ISPs as all ISPs do not service all areas....many, many different plans and speeds....and it seems like in some areas certain ISPs have oversubscribed their bandwidth capability in that area.  Many factors can determine how satisfied or unsatisfied a person is with their ISP.

But it does seem True gets more hate mail/less glowing reviews than AIS, 3BB, and TOT.   

If if I had to pick an order from best to worst I would go AIS, 3BB, TOT, True.   

Far too many factors involved to give an answer. Other things influence speed such as VPN's, demand, location, time of day, DNS Server, type of connection, web page complexity etc. Actually I find Thiavisa's web page with all its scrips takes longer to fully open than many of the European sites I visit.

I have not read about one particular ISP having a bad international speed, think they are all much the same.

Living out in the sticks my only option is to use TOT Fibre 2U. I have the 50mb/15mb basic package and have left TOT settings other than change the DNS to Cloudflare. With no VPN my downloads max out the connection so no international problem there. In the evenings with two TV's streaming, wife using TOT's IPTV for local channels and me watching international content, I can not remember when we last had buffering issues.

Personally if you are looking into buying a package I would first checkout what your neighbours are using than asking on a forum such as this. Everyone's circumstances are different and that will most probably be reflected in the answers.

thanks for the detailed answers.

I will be living in a highrise condo in downtown bangkok.

Are there any recommendations or specific services to watch out for? for example, in the USA, if you have an option to use any other service besides Comcast, then do it, because Comcast has the worst customer service, unreliable internet and they charge $100/month for my connection.

What's the consensus on everyone's favorite internet service that is most RELIABLE (no disruptions or outages)?

There is no consensus...because few have tried them all....many do not have access to the various ISPs as all ISPs do not service all areas....many, many different plans and speeds....and it seems like in some areas certain ISPs have oversubscribed their bandwidth capability in that area.  Many factors can determine how satisfied or unsatisfied a person is with their ISP.

But it does seem True gets more hate mail/less glowing reviews than AIS, 3BB, and TOT.   

If if I had to pick an order from best to worst I would go AIS, 3BB, TOT, True.   
thanks! this is what I'm looking for! I will look to sign up for AIS or 3bb then.

2 hours ago, Kron said:

Personally if you are looking into buying a package I would first checkout what your neighbours are using

Exactly right, location is probably the biggest factor when making your choice of service provider. 

In Hat Yai we've been happy with TOT, but I know in other areas people find TOT terrible. We have the Fiber2U 300/300 package for Bht900 per month. Internal speeds are usually above the package rate, International speeds vary Singapore I get near the full rate, to the UK & Europe depending on time of day will get 150 to 200, to North America 100-150. I connect to a VPS in the UK to watch TV and have no buffering issues.

1 hour ago, phungo said:

I will be living in a highrise condo in downtown bangkok.

Afaik most condos have one provider which is servicing the condo (there are still many condos which don't even offer fiber, but only DSL), so probably you have to take what you can get.

Ditto to what jacked said.

In some buildings you may be limited to whatever ISP is allowed in the building. And how the building is currently wired will be a big factor. If the building is only wired for DSL (I.e., phone line) then you are going to be limited to approx a 75Mb or lower speed plan. If wired with cable (i.e., TV type cable) then you can get high speed cable internet but you'll probably end up with True). Many buildings are simply not outfitted with fiber optics since fiber has really only tookoff over the last 5 years or so.

I live in a rural area 10 miles NE of Surin. 3BB started providing internet in my area about 5 years ago and I was one of their first subscribers. Originally I had 20/4 vdsl which was upgraded to 30/10. When Fiber became available, I signed up for 100/100 and after 3 months I was upgraded to 200/200 for the same price. I've never add issues while streaming US TV, US Netflix, VUDU, AUS TV, BBC iPlayer or Amazon Prime even with 20/10 vdsl and I also online game with a PS4.  In your situation living in a condo, you will probably not have a choice of which provider or plan, but only the one that services your building. 

1 hour ago, ICECOOL said:

CAT has commercial packages that guarantee international bandwidth. 

I have the cheapest option 30/20 for 1200 baht and it's very good for streaming. 

I would love to see the fine print in any bandwidth guarantee, It would be impossible to guarantee as there are just to many variables.

A bit like a Taxi guaranteeing a minimum speed across Bangkok.

Use 3bb fiber , 300/100, but they upgraded for free, so now 500/200. Been watching all the bicycling this spring/summer with very good result. Very few drops. I know the servers from the provider is in former estern europe, i believe in slovenia. Also premier league is ok, few drops.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:04 AM, phungo said:

I see many posts here about slow international speeds. So what's the concensus so far on which service provides the fastest international speed?

AIS? TRUE? Or 3BB? Other?

And what package?

It doesn't matter which local ISP you use as all traffic leaving Thailand goes out on the same international gateway.  However, the posts you've read about slow international speeds are most likely old posts as the international gateways have been expanded significantly in the past 10 years. 

Here is a chart of the routes out of Thailand (updated August 2019)  http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYhqi2s79NOD7jzmME87ni6BKEw5GqzBq7TmJAHdviNG8nqypbQ5/x5ZjdBMLyCnVSEAaRW0SIaIrw5xri+GUD6J 

And Thailand's Internet Map 

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYhkrcOa2KoLdsys05BuvgJKYEd021xg9AQXStKH4yoezCwmSumM5BHH4dRIOGTHUTePGmso2VazjsJ82Hj/aDyb

I've been using 3BB for the past 7 years and am very happy with the service I get.   I pay 750 THB a month (can't remember what speed it is and I'm not home to check, but it is very fast).

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

It doesn't matter which local ISP you use as all traffic leaving Thailand goes out on the same international gateway.  However, the posts you've read about slow international speeds are most likely old posts as the international gateways have been expanded significantly in the past 10 years. 

Here is a chart of the routes out of Thailand (updated August 2019)  http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYhqi2s79NOD7jzmME87ni6BKEw5GqzBq7TmJAHdviNG8nqypbQ5/x5ZjdBMLyCnVSEAaRW0SIaIrw5xri+GUD6J 

And Thailand's Internet Map 

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYhkrcOa2KoLdsys05BuvgJKYEd021xg9AQXStKH4yoezCwmSumM5BHH4dRIOGTHUTePGmso2VazjsJ82Hj/aDyb

I've been using 3BB for the past 7 years and am very happy with the service I get.   I pay 750 THB a month (can't remember what speed it is and I'm not home to check, but it is very fast).

You are right about limited lines out of Thailand. I use 3BB. For extra pay they give me access to a line to Europa via Malaysia, that increase the speed, but not stable. It seems like they shut down some server after midnight, whatever the streaming tend to be slower at night.

I did run many tests to many servers to figure out which routing is the fastest (at the current time, from my internet connection)

Depending on the server to which i connect (all located in Frankfurt), i get routed to one of five providers (at least for the IPs which i tested), this is either telstra, cogentco, ntt, tata or starhub.

I did run the tests many times, the results have quite some fluctuations, but at least right now using my AIS connection, telstra offers the best speeds.

If speeds to Europe were my main concern i would get a VPN server in a datacenter to which my connection to the VPN gets routed through telstra (or whatever turns out to be the fastest upon testing this over several days at different times of the day). This would then probably ensure the best possible connection to any server in the region of my VPN server.

Don't get carried away with figures on paper or other over technical claims from 3 rd parties....no matter which provider you choose, it will mostly depend on their service and coverage in your area. So better to check directly from your access point at home, as for which would be the fastest.

Archived