Department urged to develop nursing-home business amid rising number of elderly citizens

rooster59

Department urged to develop nursing-home business amid rising number of elderly citizens

By The Nation

800_7f4c092233886e5.jpeg

The Commerce Ministry has ordered the Department of Business Development to speed up development of the nursing-home business in the country by introducing efficient management to match world standards as well as find ways to woo investors.

Commerce Minister Veerasak Wangsuphakijkosol said on Friday (September 13) that there were concerns Thailand’s nursing-home industry would not be able to cope with rising demand from the increasing number of elderly citizens in the country.

“We also want Thailand to become the centre for the nursing-home business in the region, and we need qualified personnel such as doctors, nurses, physical therapists, nutritionists and occupational therapists, as well as facilities and management with international standards. This will allow us to cater to elderly foreigners who come to Thailand or use our knowledge to invest in other countries,” he said.

The Department will be responsible for establishing high management standards through education, and strengthen management potential, following the guidelines of the Thailand Quality Award.

“We also want to create marketing opportunities as well as connect nursing-home business networks with the market through new platforms or marketing channels of related startups,” he added.

Presently there are five types of nursing-home businesses in Thailand – residential home, assisted living, basic nursing home, long-term care hospital and hospice care.

There are approximately 800 operators in this business and it is expected that Thailand will have 13 million elderly citizens in 2020 and 18 million in 2030, equivalent to 27 per cent of the total population.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376188

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-15

37 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

So not a hub! ????

Better a center than just a hub cap. 

I applaud efforts to provide this elderly care.  I'm in the USA .  My 91 year old mother is in a facility at about 2 million Baht per year...  my 61 year old brother is cratering fast as we speak.  The two of them together may be spending close to $100,000 USD per year soon - 3 million Baht.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

This will allow us to cater to elderly foreigners who come to Thailand 

Although it sounds like a great idea, with two tier pricing, and scams in various other areas catering for westerners, taxis, jet skis, Omani bell ringers, to name a few, it might not be a good idea. Opportunities to rip vulneable people off would, unfortunately, be plentiful.

Providing facilities to care for elderly people would be a good idea.

Many so -called experts lined up ready to go, ready to scam the poor defenceless aged farang.

Here is a perfect example...... A few times every year my wife is away over night, so a carer is required.

Wife was going away beginning of this month, local lady comes and says.... I am a qualified carer for paralyzed people.

So i asked my wife how/ where did she qualify?

Ohh she do a 1 day seminar at the local hospital, and she now has a certificate saying she is a qualified carer.????

Hopefully if this idea gets off the ground, the carers will be better qualified than that.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Providing facilities to care for elderly people would be a good idea.

Many so -called experts lined up ready to go, ready to scam the poor defenceless aged farang.

Here is a perfect example...... A few times every year my wife is away over night, so a carer is required.

Wife was going away beginning of this month, local lady comes and says.... I am a qualified carer for paralyzed people.

So i asked my wife how/ where did she qualify?

Ohh she do a 1 day seminar at the local hospital, and she now has a certificate saying she is a qualified carer.????

Hopefully if this idea gets off the ground, the carers will be better qualified than that.

Yeah, me being cynical, in a case like that, I can see it more as 'carer of your bank account'.

Talking of certificates of uselessness, I knew a girl who did a course to become a 'nursing assistant' - to be able to help in a hospital. Her boyfriend paid for the six week course.

One entire day was spent showing the 'students' how to apply makeup and make themselves look pretty, so the patients would feel happy. I kid you not.

A timely idea,  a retirement/nursing homes in every developed country cost a lot of money and Thailand, if done right and under the supervision and patronage of the government could greatly benefit out of such enterprises, having said that, right now the government can't even control the hospitals let alone private nursing homes, so there...

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Presently there are five types of nursing-home businesses in Thailand – residential home, assisted living, basic nursing home, long-term care hospital and hospice care.

This should go down well out in the boons of Isaan where farmers and their families have no disposable income to spend on such luxuries. But it should go well in the wealth centres of Thailand.

Fundamentally it  is a good idea and one where the government could, if it wanted to, find a wealth tax to take money from the haves and give something to the have not's.

But it wont' do that for fear of upsetting the elite who really run the country.

Invest in nursing-homes? Does the Minister of Commerce know what's the Pension Rate for elderlies?

900 baht a month, that to thank them for having worked all their life and contributed to Thailand's economy. How much would they have to pay to stay in a nursing-home?

A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world. "Louis Pasteur"   

In theory, you'd think places like Thailand and the Philippines would be ideal places for this: Thailand with it's established medical tourism; and the Philippines with it's huge cadre of English-speaking staff, many with experience of working in western or western-style hospitals, and nursing homes too.

I've got experience working in nursing homes and in the running of a small one, and I can imagine that as long as there's a couple of properly qualified foreigners at the heart of it, an actual RGN or RMN, and an experienced nursing home manager who can deal with the hygiene, kitchen, and accounts, it could work.

...but you just know they're going to make it unnecessarily difficult, and want it all locally-owned, locally run, both on the small scale, and on the large scale; but then, do you really want to be dealing with testy blamy local relatives when things go wrong, and venerated geriatrics start deteriorating or dying...

Archived