ONCB seizes 25 tonnes of acid after tip-off from Myanmar

rooster59

ONCB seizes 25 tonnes of acid after tip-off from Myanmar

By The Nation

800_ccf98e396552372.jpg

More than 25 tonnes of hydrochloric acid were seized earlier this week from the Myanmar border town of Tachilek and Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district through the joint efforts of Thailand's Office of Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) and their Myanmar counterparts.

The acid could have been used to produce 50 tonnes of crystal meth or "ice", or heroin, ONCB secretary-general Niyom Termsrisuk said on Friday, and the 50 tonnes of "ice" could have been used to produce 2.5 billion methamphetamine pills.

Niyom said the Myanmar authority had arrested six suspects and seized 10,350 kilograms of hydrochloric acid from a rented house in Tachilek early in the week. The ONCB was alerted after the suspects reportedly told Myanmar police that the acid was from Mae Sai. The agency led Army and police officers to the suspected site and seized another 15,100 kilograms of hydrochloric acid from a house in Mae Sai, Niyom said.

The ONCB chief said the Provincial Police Region 5 and the Department of Industrial Works were now checking to see if this batch of acid had the necessary permit as hydrochloric acid is a Category 3 substance under the Hazard Substances Act BE 2535 (1992). They initially found that there was no permit for possession, import or export.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376195

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-15

23 hours ago, JoePai said:

So you cannot keep a little acid to top up your car battery  ????

Sure top it up with HCl and destroy the battery. 

I must confess I carry about 100 mL of hydrochloric acid around all the time, in my stomach. 

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

no doubt all of it loaded onto a Thai truck with no brakes.

The brakes rusted out because the truck was parked in the same shed as all the acid.  Acid fumes will destroy most anything.  I heard of a case where someone bought several bottles of an acid-based bathroom cleaner, and one or more spilled in their van.  They cleaned it up, but the fumes got into everything and started corrosion.  Vehicle was totaled.

Archived