30,000 take part in Chiang Mai University’s annual trek to Doi Suthep

rooster59

30,000 take part in Chiang Mai University’s annual trek to Doi Suthep

By Nisanart Kangwanwong
The Nation

800_d8b7b707681c81c.jpg

Some 30,000 students, personnel and alumnus of Chiang Mai University took part in the university’s annual trek up the mountain towards Wat Phra That Doi Suthep on Saturday morning.

Highlighting the university's 55th anniversary celebrations this year, the event was also witnessed by CMU rector Nivej Nanthajit and Chiang Mai Governor Supachai Iamsuwan.

Freshmen from 20 faculties from two CMU campuses were divided into faculty groups to trek the winding 14-kilometre-long road from their university's main campus at the foothill to the summit of the sacred Doi Suthep.

81680.jpg

Police were stationed along the way to provide security and other help while medical teams were also on hand to provide first-aid at 10 service points.

At the summit, the students performed merit-making at the temple, praying for good luck during the years of study ahead.

This traditional annual trek has been held since 1964 in order to bring the student body together, and it also serves as a rite of passage ceremony for first-year students, giving them a chance to make new friends and form new bonds with the seniors and with fellow-freshers.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376184

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-15

I’m too old for that now. I take songthaews up to Wat Phra That Doi  Suthep.  Been up three times. 

These days I’d have a heart attack before making it even halfway up. I admire those who can walk all the way up there.

I would if I could. 

20 hours ago, Catoni said:

I’m too old for that now. I take songthaews up to Wat Phra That Doi  Suthep.  Been up three times. 

These days I’d have a heart attack before making it even halfway up. I admire those who can walk all the way up there.

I would if I could. 

... but not right 'then' 

otherwise,

it would be like The Hindenberg...  "...oh! the humanity..."

Archived