Worries rise as baht scales six-year high

rooster59

20 hours ago, xylophone said:

I wouldn't know about the price of the boxed wine as I don't drink the stuff, or indeed anything with fruit juice and it, but I can bear witness to the fact that Big C are now selling an Italian wine "Passimento" (same as the method of drying grapes slightly before fermenting them) for 624 baht a bottle when just a short while ago it was in the late 700s.

A few of the other cheaper Aussie bottled wines did come down in price from 499 baht to 429 baht for a short while, but I see they have gone back up again.

I am buying bottled bona fide (non-fruit juice) Aussie wines for 380 baht a bottle at the moment, and they are not half bad!

any wine even home grown has a 15% duty, I believe.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Percy P said:

Thailand in general is cheap in Baht. Converting foreign currency into Baht is the expensive part. Due th the £ loss of value I am paying twice as much in  £ for the same item in Baht. And the shop keepers don't benefit from it. Only the Government benefits in their Foreign Currency Account. The more tourists keeps the Baht high.

Get a job or start a business.

18 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

I enjoy a Big Mac and fries occasionally from McThai, the beef tastes just fine to me. Doesn't seem to put Thais off eating in there either! 

Fairly sure the beef cattle were kept in better conditions than most animals are in Thailand

Does it really matter if they are kept in a 5 start hotel before being prodded with electric prods and being hung upside down bleeding to death, to scare them and make your Bic Mac tastier?

On 9/15/2019 at 8:15 AM, Cadbury said:

More gloom on the way.

"......Jitipol Puksamatanan, Bangkok-based chief strategist at Krung Thai Bank Pcl. The third most-accurate forecaster for the currency last quarter predicts the baht will rise to 30.25 per dollar by the end of the year".

Another kick in the teeth for exports and still PM Prayut says nothing, his silence is deafening which is a worry.

One would expect him to say something since he recently appointed himself to the Chairmanship of the Council of Economic Ministers. Surely that makes him the official spokesperson. One can only conclude he is unsure of himself and doesn't know what to say.

Prayutnomics, it appears, is not working. Except perhaps that the 20 Year plan will ensure the rich will be richer and the poor will be poorer.

https://fortune.com/2019/08/06/thai-baht-currency-war-trade/

Smiling man.jpg

It is best to say nothing rather than opening your mouth and inserting foot in it.

Something the Big Guy does often.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Does it really matter if they are kept in a 5 start hotel before being prodded with electric prods and being hung upside down bleeding to death, to scare them and make your Bic Mac tastier?

Don't matter to me . Do you eat fish when they're cought they're drug up out of the water and left to suffugate

1 minute ago, Fred white said:

Don't matter to me . Do you eat fish when they're cought they're drug up out of the water and left to suffugate

You sound just like my mate Fred  who was a butcher from Bolton.

Did you know it's ok to eat fish coz they don't have any feelings?

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You sound just like my mate Fred  who was a butcher from Bolton.

Did you know it's ok to eat fish coz they don't have any feelings?

Does the carrot scream as its torn from the ground?

according my wife she read yesterday thai PM dont know how to get thaibath lower.He said that everybody blaiming him but even thaksin couldnt help about this matter.My wife laughed and said his like a teenager who get blamed for everything thats wrong.555

His hands are tigth..he cant do anything.

Archived