BANGKOK
rooster59

Over half of the tigers rescued from the Tiger Temple have died of tongue paralysis from stress

Over half of the captive tigers taken from the Tiger Temple three years have died of tongue paralysis from stress

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM75P9yfIKimzaTPLP7kzpICdmsaO.png

Eighty-six out of a total of 147 tigers kept at two wildlife breeding stations in Ratchaburi province after they were confiscated from a forest monastery in Thailand’s western province of Kanchanaburi about three years ago have died from Laryngeal tongue paralysis.

A well-informed source told Thai PBS that some of the tigers were diagnosed of suffering from Laryngeal tongue paralysis when they were first moved from Luangta Bua Yannasampanno forest monastery in Kanchanaburi province to the Khao Pratab Chang wildlife breeding station in Ratchaburi province in June 2016.

The source said that most of the tigers confiscated from the forest monastery, also known as Tiger Temple which used to be a tourist attraction, were captive bred Siberian tigers and, therefore, did not have natural immunity, rendering them weak and susceptible to diseases.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-half-of-the-captive-tigers-taken-from-the-tiger-temple-three-years-have-died-of-tongue-paralysis-from-stress/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-09-15
  • Sad 3

Laryngeal tongue paralysis - read it up on the internet (as I had to do). Result is interesting; this "disease" is not a disease but happens from a trauma. 
Most likely the bodies/carcasses are no longer around, officially cremated and hence no trace of them anymore? Well, alternative use to the tigers spring to mind ..... in Asia that is 😉 

I wonder about the source of the animals that will be exploited in the huge new Tiger Kingdom being build close to where I live.

😧

5 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Laryngeal tongue paralysis - read it up on the internet (as I had to do). Result is interesting; this "disease" is not a disease but happens from a trauma. 
Most likely the bodies/carcasses are no longer around, officially cremated and hence no trace of them anymore? Well, alternative use to the tigers spring to mind ..... in Asia that is 😉 

The headline states stress as the cause of the problem.

I thought that they had proven the temple tigers were being harvested for sale to a northern neighbor. 

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

As they were bred at the Temple were they put into a stress lifestyle when they were removed to live in cages at Khao Pratab Chang wildlife breeding station.

Visited Luangta Bua Yannasampanno forest monastery about a year ago. There is still hundreds, if not thousands, of domesticated animals left to wander the grounds, Pigs, deer, buffalo and such. With the income from the tigers gone, they rely on individual private donations to help feed them.

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

The whole story from being mistreated and exploited at the temple to the shambolic 'rescue' is a sorry, shameful episode.

But exceptable in Thailand for the purposes of tourism.

A DNA Geinie worth his/her salt would develop a plant that grows Tiger shlongs. A Rai or two would make some Thai's very rich.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

A DNA Geinie worth his/her salt would develop a plant that grows Tiger shlongs. A Rai or two would make some Thai's very rich.

Nothing worthwhile to say....better say nothing :wai:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I agree this saga is a rather sad one from beginning to end.

Tiger breeding doesn't just happen in Asia but also smack in the middle of the EU. 2 cubs were rescued from a woman in Vienna. She was "fostering" them and kept them in a bath tub. Origin is a breeding station somewhere nr. Bratislava. Apparently, the animals are being bread for sale as pets.

I have not read about any action to close this centre. 

Bad things don't just happen in Thailand.