Random Sunday Morning Bangkok Musings for those who are less fortunate and not living here, as opposed to me, living large in the Big Swamp, read ye and weep...Taco Bell, Bar Girls and more......

Nyezhov

1. I broke down. After hanging out on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak with my Roof and the boys (I am sort of a fat old mascot) I needed that American fix...so I broke down and went to Taco Bell. In my defense, I was headed to that area anyway, and was so addled that I could think of nothing but Taco Bell.

Dudes, it was good. Took me half an hour to just play Ozone ranger on the menu, replete with ejaculations like "O wow dude that looks bomb" to the puzzlement of Taco Bell girls whose English consists of ordering. Combo ka? Then I got me a Quesadilla and a Crunchwrap with Beef. OK, the beef is a mystery and perhaps a bit skimpy, but presentation wise, both munchie salvers looked like a picture out of a Japanese food franchise magazine...perfect. Its like when you go to a Japanese grocery anywhere and the single 3 oz lamb chop is arranged perfectly in the middle of the tray. Thats what my TB looked like. Shaped perfectly, ample filling, browned evenly, filling arranged correctly, not like in the US where you hit Taco Bell at 3am and as you pull out of the drive thru and begin to scompf that Burrito just plays John Holmes and squirts hot beans all over your lap because the dreadlocked dude was just randomslapping the filling in.

But I digress, it was tasty. The cheesy Quesadilla tasted exactly like a USA one albiet a bit more on the Chili powder, which was good. Usually the Crunchwraps have a bit more beef, but this was also cheesy. No beans though. I paid no attention to pricing, Im not being a cheap charlie over a once or twice a trip mucnhiefeed.

2. Living on the falang side of town this year (why, I have no idea, it just happened) I have been down to lower Asoke/Suk/Ratchap several times over the past few weeks as it necesariily forms part of my travel regimen.  The Uzbek bread is awesome at Bamboo, as are the Uzbek girls at Mixx. I don't need to pay an entrance fee if the right folks are at the door.  Excellent Tacos at Margarita Storm. Good Lambburgers at Bad Burger. The pizza is still OK at Pizza Pala Romana, but still overpriced. Gallery Pizza is in Ekkamai and Sathorn and delivers still, very good.  Suda is OK at off peak hours, but overpriced for what you get. Spassos live band sucks, but not as bad as the Thai bands who try to play western music. Soi Nana is possibly the filthiest and grossest street of unabashed debauchery in the world right now, its like you walk through there and Arab ladyboys hold out cups filled with their filth of their fornications while deaf mute teenages gesture on what they want to do to you, all the while turban and singlet wearing yobs just clog the sidewalks sniffing like dogs, its like gag me with a soup spoon Moon Unit.

3. Hi tourists, welcome to Bangkok. Ones feet are ones friend. Yesterday, after watching footie fans pissing in the puddles I was necesaarily forced to wade through, and then getting to soak my feet in the effluent streaming out of the Khlong Toey market, replete with drowned rats, chicken nails and probably human s**t, I thought of the need to ensure that my flippers were hygenic. So, when I got home, I just showered with my shoes. Thats right, used some Irish Spring on the foot covers, then alcoholed them up and hung them to dry. Thai people of course tie plastic bags on their feet, I guess that would work on a Motosai, but walking on the pavements...well I would be on my face. And that leads me to the important thing, gentle reader, your footwear.  Thai folks can get away with flip flops. Notice how many are missing body parts? And they get free medical care. And they have immunity that you dont have. Now think of you cutting your carefully manicured toe on a piece of broken glass while wading through a puddle (nay, a lake) filled with the remnants of the sewer overflow from a 200 baht a night hotel. Hey whats this brown foam in this wound, yuck. Get the picture. I wear Keen Arroyos myself. 

4. Finally, there is this vendor at PAT stadium that makes these steamed meatballs wrapped in rice paper that he covers with some sauce and deep friend shallot flakes. 60 baht for a big bowl that I can barely finish. Anyone here know the food I am talking about? What are they called. They are decent size balls, not the little mini ones.

5. Edit: Forgot to mention that the Paradiso Sports Bar on Suk 71 has a killer, I mean simply killer, Boiled Pork Salad with Lime Dressing. 5 stars!

Happpy Sunday.

20 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Happpy Sunday.

Sounds like you are quite happy to be back in Thailand.

Your #3 is always a concern. I travel quite prepared to counter the unhygienic street conditions.

And sterile wipes are a must for me after walking barefoot about a temple (before I once again step into my footwear).

28 minutes ago, neeray said:

And sterile wipes are a must for me after walking barefoot about a temple (before I once again step into my footwear).

Socks. I try to make sure I have the correct footwear for the mission.

For a dedicated temple run to a non tourist temple, its hiking boots and socks. Thats because I will be packing the most weight. In tourist temples, I clip my boots in a bag to my pack.

For random temples its whatever footwear I have on. And like you, I carry wipes ifin I go barefoot

40 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

The advert at the bottom of this page is for Malaysian Airlines. It says "Treat yourself to a vacay". 

Enjoy the rest of your day.????

Awww didnt like it? Jealous because you are either outside Thailand or in Pattaya LOL.....?

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

1. I broke down.

i did it.

i ordered a soft taco and being an American from Southern California who has eaten taco bell since there was taco bell I would say the soft taco was exactly the same only slightly (like 10%) more spicy. 

thanks for the Bangkok intel.

Reincarnated Jack Kerouak. ????

"There was nowhere to go but Nana, so just keep on rolling under the stars".

Agree about the Keens - my standard footware when not at work.  And yes Taco Bell here is surprisingly good - but do you also eat the great local street food?  

And if you want a better wet market than Klong Toey - take a trip to Ang Sila.

17 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

but do you also eat the great local street food?

All the time dude, last year I stayed like 500 Meters from Talat Phlu market and this year I am near Phra Kanong.

I sort of have a mental measurement for real street food. If any basic dish (like say pad Krapow) is below 50 baht then it is authentic with the usual

lesser sanitation, inferior ingredients, etc. Doubling the price only makes it a tourist food ????

21 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

take a trip to Ang Sila

Been there years ago.  I dont necessarily travel to wet markets qua wet markets, they are just a part of where I go to or are on the way. I particularly like the seafood market in Samut Prakhan, very well lit. Nothanburi Pier is a good one too. Maha Chai and around the Ta Chin are cool too and far easier to get to than going out Chonburi way.

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Awww didnt like it? Jealous because you are either outside Thailand or in Pattaya LOL.....?

Nah, just thought you'd like a break. You seem a little tense, a bit wound up. You're welcome to join me here on the outskirts of Pattaya, but the conditions are a little spartan. And the only bell is in the temple. 

Bar Girls and more......

Whats up with the super long title thread and all you talk about is food?!?

OK - granted we all have to eat, and the closest I have gotten to american food is at SIzzler.

Didn't see any mention of Bar Girls.  What up with that  5555

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Didn't see any mention of Bar Girls.  What up with that  5555

Made ya look

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

You seem a little tense, a bit wound up. You're welcome to join me here on the outskirts of Pattaya, but the conditions are a little spartan.

Naw dude I appreciate it though. Im trying to avoid Pattaya agin , although at my age, perhaps "one more time" is in order. Alternatively, I can just buy a Leo and sit on the curb across from the Stumble Inn and pretend.

1 hour ago, madmen said:

I live a 2 min walk from it .They also do excellent pepperoni pizza and Happy hour is 7am to 7pm and great people watching balcony

I think it was last February, I was cramming a Burrito in my hairy slobbering gob on the balcony there and two Ladyboys started going at it right on the corner there. Like wow dude look at them bitch slapping each other. Cool. Can I have another Coke please?

I think their Mex-American food is the best in BKK. Thanks for the tip on the Pizza, if I go to Vesuvio there isnt much to see, at least in the Storm you can get a people show.

For fun, sit outside in Argo and watch the folks being all furtive while going into Roritas. Makes ya wanna put down your Khachapuri and yell "no dude dont take that one, teeth" or "great choice, ask her to hum The Theme from Titanic" or "Remember, no kissing".

Archived