Has the novelty finally worn off for the average tourist?

kellersphuket

Afternoon yall,

out again last night with the guys and we noticed something..

how dang quiet it was!!

I mean, it's normal for low season to be less than busy but this was unreal.

There was literally nobody around, all the bars/restaurants/shops were empty.

So I called two of my buddies and put them on loud speaker, one in Pattaya, one in Chiang Mai.

Turns out its the same there too, nobody around, dead as dead can be.

What's going on????

Where are all the tourists?

Have they had enough of Thailand? Is the visa situation becoming too much of a pain in the behind?

We came up with that the novelty must have finally worn off and that the average tourist has 

discovered that there are better, more affordable places to spend their dough.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Afternoon yall,
out again last night with the guys and we noticed something..
how dang quiet it was!!
I mean, it's normal for low season to be less than busy but this was unreal.
There was literally nobody around, all the bars/restaurants/shops were empty.
So I called two of my buddies and put them on loud speaker, one in Pattaya, one in Chiang Mai.
Turns out its the same there too, nobody around, dead as dead can be.
What's going on????
Have they had enough of Thailand? Is the visa situation becoming too much of a pain in the behind?
We came up with that the novelty must have finally worn off and that the average tourist has 
discovered that there are better, more affordable places to spend their dough.

I can confirm this. I came yesterday to Bangkok. Nothing going on at all. All the pubs I visited empty. Daytime in the streets Chinese, Indians and Arabs. I really miss the good old times.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

I visit Pattaya 2 - 3 times a year and have done since 1999. I find it's become very expensive in most aspects of life in that city especially where the women are concerned.

And let's be fair that's what attracted us to the LOS in the first place and what still does apart from in the last few years mainly where the gogo bars are concerned.

We've all got beach resorts closer to home if that's what floats our boats.

I'm just a holiday maker but those of my friends who are ex pats and long termers are quickly falling out of love with the LOS because of the worsening attitude of some of the locals and the tightening up of the visa regulations.

A middle aged HM pal of mine was interrogated at BKK airport recently and accused of working. They eventually allowed him entry but it left a nasty taste in his mouth. The IO had been extremely officious, aggressive and rude.

He had just arrived for a 4 week holiday. He did not even need a visa.

29 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

All the pubs I visited empty.

nonsense ,you better call master card that just released figures for 2019 with proof that Bangkok is the most visited city on the planet. One of you is telling porkies , I wonder which one lol. I was out in soi 8 last night and the bars and reseraunts were all busy

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

nonsense 

What actually was the situation in all the pubs he visited, were they not empty as you seem to be implying.

Were you with him? If you were not how can you accuse his post of being 'nonsense'.

nonsense 
OK, I send you tomorrow a pic. Let's say Gulliver's. Then you will see what the reality is. Small advise, open your eyes next time you go out. Or was that 5 years ago you did ?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What point? That tourist numbers are declining? I thought that was a given?

The point is that he is making an observation and relaying what he's seen to this forum in case others might be interested in what he has to say.

That's the general idea and 'point' of an internet forum.

You appear to find the topic pointless so start one yourself that might be more interesting and informative instead of criticising the efforts of someone who has.

Why are so many negative replies to those that say tourist or many expats have left Thailand. If you not a moron, you read how slow it is on the news, in person or official stats. Personally, I went to Hua Hin, nobody. Went to Paong, nobody, this weekend Bangkok. People around this wonderful city, but sure isn't busy. I live in Pattaya and it is dead everywhere. Never go to walking street so I can only judge by current You Tube. LK and Bukaew slow. live off Kho Noi and the many regular bars we go to have only a couple of customers. Not like 4 or 5 years ago. Drinks have gone, the girls have gone up and the baht is sky-high. No bargins anymore. Those that don't see must' be living in a drunken fantasyville.

Those of us that were fortunate enough to have experienced Thailand's culture before Thai people became consumed with greed and nationalism count ourselves lucky...

Leaving present day Thailand will neither be difficult nor memorable...????

I know, I know...be careful of the door on the way out...????

1 hour ago, kellersphuket said:

What's going on????

First answer: It´s you that definitely every single day is to bored to do something out of value, and instead posting about all tour insignificant problems in life on this forum.

Second answer: It´s september, man. That´s not high season. But we can as well complain about that to, when we have TM30, visa regulations, downfall in the economy in comparision to the baht and last but not least. We don´t feel welcome here anymore. Get real and take up a new hobby.

It’s pretty short sighted of the Junta to make life impossible for westerners, as any slow down in China’s growth will hit Thailand hard. Debt levels, both private and public, in China are beyond danger levels, and sometime soon that will come home to roost. 

I’ll be watching with interest at how the authorities in Thailand react, but in the meantime they won’t be seeing any of my money.

21 minutes ago, rjwill01 said:

Why are so many negative replies to those that say tourist or many expats have left Thailand. If you not a moron, you read how slow it is on the news, in person or official stats. Personally, I went to Hua Hin, nobody. Went to Paong, nobody, this weekend Bangkok. People around this wonderful city, but sure isn't busy. I live in Pattaya and it is dead everywhere. Never go to walking street so I can only judge by current You Tube. LK and Bukaew slow. live off Kho Noi and the many regular bars we go to have only a couple of customers. Not like 4 or 5 years ago. Drinks have gone, the girls have gone up and the baht is sky-high. No bargins anymore. Those that don't see must' be living in a drunken fantasyville.

Where is Paong?

Anyway, you seem to base the number of tourists here on your bar expertise.

There are plenty of tourists in town but most do not go to LK Metro or Buakhow bars.  They are too busy doing tourist activities not wasting their vacation sitting on a bar stool staring out to nothingness.

The malls are a much better way to evaluate and they in fact have been busy from my observation.  Terminal 21 especially.

I would say that the average tourist is likely to be quite well informed these days. With worldwide media reporting on the sinking boats, nightclub fires, bombings, rapes and murders, combined with the fear (unfounded or not) of a developing country under military rule, now that the Baht is so outrageously high, it's little wonder that people are going elsewhere.

Even the small hardcore of repeat sex tourists are likely to have figured out that you can get much better value for money elsewhere!

You can forgive a country's foibles when the exchange rate is so good, but when things cost more that in your home country, it's just going to put people off altogether. And of course, the most important thing to most tourists is how much the trip will cost!

And that's before you've considered how ruthless the immigration has become (I read a story in the UK press about a first time visitor coming in on VE being refused for not having enough cash). They really have shot themselves in the foot with both barrels.

2 hours ago, The Cobra said:

And here we go again, another veiled attempt at negative Thailand bashing. 

Didnt think you would get a phone signal on that fantasy island of yours.

Out with the guys?, phoned mates,? yeah right !

if you dont like what I post then don't comment dude.

it's an observation, try opening your curtains in the morning and you may also have something to post about!

19 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

if you dont like what I post then don't comment dude.

it's an observation, try opening your curtains in the morning and you may also have something to post about!

Many of those who post on this and other forums are incapable of thinking of anything of interest to post about.

Instead they get a kick out of maligning the efforts of those who do.

It makes you wonder what they do with the rest of the spare time in their sad lives.

Archived