Has the novelty finally worn off for the average tourist?

kellersphuket

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

A fool and their money ...

Yeah dude, its cool, Im a fool but unlike you, Im totally happy. Dont see me running around message boards yammering about how bad things are in a country Im not in, or just visiting, or even staying in just to be miserable.

It amazes me that folks who hate Thailand so much purport to live here or visit here or stay here. More and more, as I read about the total misery some people experience, Im convinced this forum may have a mommys basement cadre.

Now dont get me wrong, I have enough money to go where I want and stay where I want. I can go to Florida or the USVI or Bermuda or Brazil or Columbia or Portugal or Phillipines or the Bahamas (before) for the winter if I want.  I am well aware of the road carnage, the crazy drivers, the poor infrastructure, the dual pricing, the junta, somchai, motoisais, the Chinese takeover, the exchange rate, TM30s, ditch weed, mercenary hookers, blahblahblah, ad nauseum, ad infinitum. All of us who enjoy our time here for our own reasons are well aware of the flaws in this country, as well as our own and anywhere else. But life is beautiful and the glass is half full, not half empty and if there is a rat strolling past my street table as I slurp some noodles, well hell cowboy, give me another bowl. Ill stand and stare at a Lotus for a while and dig on nature, then chill with a Buddha, then take some pics, then lie in the pool, then discover a new place to eat unknown to the white man, maybe catch a cheap movie, take a train to nowhere and just enjoy. Even the Monday morning laundry routine is more fun when you are 25 floors up. Hell, next week the MAID is coming, she will even change the sheets! And if I get tired of the horns and traffic, Ill go over to Ko Chang and chill with sand, or go to Lopburi and hang with my primate relatives.

Maybe its because I have put my 8-8 time in for 50 years and dont need to do anyhting for several months at a time anymore, but even if I was working here, I would dig it. Because there is something cool wherever you are and if all you can do is obsess and complain about the little things, then you need to look into the mirror and examine your life as a whole, because clearly it sucks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I am well aware of the road carnage, the crazy drivers, the poor infrastructure, the dual pricing, the junta, somchai, motoisais, the Chinese takeover, the exchange rate, TM30s, ditch weed, mercenary hookers.

Do you work for the TAT?

You're really selling it to me dude ????

17 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

What's going on????

Where are all the tourists?

Have they had enough of Thailand? Is the visa situation becoming too much of a pain in the behind?

Please explain to us, in nice simple terms what on earth the 'visa situation' has got to do with tourist numbers?

In fact what 'visa situation' are you referring to?

I live in KL. Twice a year 2 friends from oz and 1 from UK and myself go to thailand for good times. Have done this for last 4 years. Plus I have regularly visited other times of year by myself.

This time the guys decided to holiday to KL instead. There were a few reasons but the biggest decider was less bang for the buck.

The guys really enjoyed it and felt it was more friendly. Tho i didnt really get to go away this time. We think vietnam for next trip.

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Please explain to us, in nice simple terms what on earth the 'visa situation' has got to do with tourist numbers?

oh i don't know.

Maybe being forced to show 20,000 in cash on arrival?

having one too many stamps in their passport and being sent back to their home country?

being denied entry at the border for any number of reasons? (bad dress, long hair, buddha tattoo?)

just a few reasons why tourists have probably had enough.

27 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Do you work for the TAT?

You're really selling it to me dude ????

Why do I care? I wasnt put on this earth to assuage the misery of your own personal hell. You need to fix your life yourself, but merely seeking the approbation to be found in an internet echo chamber filled with the screeches of the eternally miserable like yourself is not going to fix anything.

Why dont you guys make it simpler. Just cut and paste these lines:

Thailand sucks.

Yeah, it sucks.

Everybody knows it sucks.

Only idiots go there.

Yeah, they suck too.

Im going to *insert somewhere*

Yeah its better than Thailand.

Yeah, Thailand sucks.

I agree.

My brother in law sayys it sucks.

Im never going there.

Neither is my cousin Mikey, he said it sucks.

If they say it doesnt suck, they are lying.

Liars.

Cheats.

Theives. 

Yeah, it sucks.

Im gonna tell everybody it sucks.

I got bit by a Gecko.

That sucks.

Too many geckos.

It just sucks.

Yeah.

Right.

9 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:
15 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

10 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

oh i don't know.

having one too many stamps in their passport and being sent back to their home country?

being denied entry at the border for any number of reasons? (bad dress, long hair, buddha tattoo?)

Oh sorry, but you did ask where are all the tourists.

Surely what you're referring to here are the itinerant travellers who, not having the credentials to make a legitimate request for an extension, use the 'border hopping routine' instead.

Well I don't regard such people as tourists anymore that I regard myself as one.

For legitimate tourists there are, as far as I'm aware, no 'visa issues'. 

On 9/15/2019 at 3:21 PM, Nyezhov said:

Why do I care? I wasnt put on this earth to assuage the misery of your own personal hell. You need to fix your life yourself, but merely seeking the approbation to be found in an internet echo chamber filled with the screeches of the eternally miserable like yourself is not going to fix anything.

Why dont you guys make it simpler. Just cut and paste these lines:

Thailand sucks.

Yeah, it sucks.

Everybody knows it sucks.

Only idiots go there.

Yeah, they suck too.

Im going to *insert somewhere*

Yeah its better than Thailand.

Yeah, Thailand sucks.

I agree.

My brother in law sayys it sucks.

Im never going there.

Neither is my cousin Mikey, he said it sucks.

If they say it doesnt suck, they are lying.

Liars.

Cheats.

Theives. 

Yeah, it sucks.

Im gonna tell everybody it sucks.

I got bit by a Gecko.

That sucks.

Too many geckos.

It just sucks.

Yeah.

Right.

TBF , many poster shave given various reasons why Thailand isnt the place it once was and I havent seen anyone just post stating "it sucks"over and over again

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Oh sorry, but you did ask where are all the tourists.

Surely what you're referring to here are the itinerant travellers who, not having the credentials to make a legitimate request for an extension, use the 'border hopping routine' instead.

Well I don't regard such people as tourists anymore that I regard myself as one.

For legitimate tourists there are, as far as I'm aware, no 'visa issues'. 

I have had issues lately. Yes I am a tourist. Last couple of times questioned about why i go so often even tho they are short stays.

Also never had the 10k or 20k cash with me at imm and would never have known about that if I didnt see it on this forum. I just dont carry much cash and never ever have I had any local currency with me for any trip. I just withdraw at atm after customs.

But with that being an easy reason to deny entry, and other reasons, it has turned me off visiting again until things have changed and settled.

7 minutes ago, Sujo said:

But with that being an easy reason to deny entry, and other reasons, it has turned me off visiting again until things have changed and settled.

Your thoughts mirror many other tourists in similar situations as yourself.

Patently because there is nobody around!

Talking to a shopkeeper on my way home last night and he said in the 20+ years he has been open he has never seen it this quiet!

17 hours ago, Swedenlars said:

I can confirm this. I came yesterday to Bangkok. Nothing going on at all. All the pubs I visited empty. Daytime in the streets Chinese, Indians and Arabs. I really miss the good old times.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Good grief. Normal tourists are out sightseeing, NOT sitting in some crappy bar drinking overpriced whatever.

Even now there is more than enough for a tourist to do for a holiday, even if they never go inside a bar.

However, they probably don't go to the bar areas of Pattaya or Bkk on their expeditions.

10 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Talking to a shopkeeper on my way home last night and he said in the 20+ years he has been open he has never seen it this quiet!

LOL. Perhaps he's still selling the same junk he sold 20 years ago, and people just don't want to buy it anymore, or they'd rather shop in one of the hundreds of hi end malls that are everywhere now. 

53 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

oh i don't know.

LOL

Thailand had around 38 MILLION tourists last year. None of the reasons you gave seem to have put them off.

11 minutes ago, Sujo said:

C3434ECE-F5CB-41F8-9D6F-5CCEFCB32E58.png

A decrease is a good thing. Far too many tourists are bad for the environment. However, it's probably millions more than visited in the 1990s when they all thought they were doing quite well, thank you.

I'd be happy if numbers went back to those of the mid 90s. The beaches were certainly better back then.

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah dude, its cool, Im a fool but unlike you, Im totally happy. Dont see me running around message boards yammering about how bad things are in a country Im not in, or just visiting, or even staying in just to be miserable.

It amazes me that folks who hate Thailand so much purport to live here or visit here or stay here. More and more, as I read about the total misery some people experience, Im convinced this forum may have a mommys basement cadre.

Now dont get me wrong, I have enough money to go where I want and stay where I want. I can go to Florida or the USVI or Bermuda or Brazil or Columbia or Portugal or Phillipines or the Bahamas (before) for the winter if I want.  I am well aware of the road carnage, the crazy drivers, the poor infrastructure, the dual pricing, the junta, somchai, motoisais, the Chinese takeover, the exchange rate, TM30s, ditch weed, mercenary hookers, blahblahblah, ad nauseum, ad infinitum. All of us who enjoy our time here for our own reasons are well aware of the flaws in this country, as well as our own and anywhere else. But life is beautiful and the glass is half full, not half empty and if there is a rat strolling past my street table as I slurp some noodles, well hell cowboy, give me another bowl. Ill stand and stare at a Lotus for a while and dig on nature, then chill with a Buddha, then take some pics, then lie in the pool, then discover a new place to eat unknown to the white man, maybe catch a cheap movie, take a train to nowhere and just enjoy. Even the Monday morning laundry routine is more fun when you are 25 floors up. Hell, next week the MAID is coming, she will even change the sheets! And if I get tired of the horns and traffic, Ill go over to Ko Chang and chill with sand, or go to Lopburi and hang with my primate relatives.

Maybe its because I have put my 8-8 time in for 50 years and dont need to do anyhting for several months at a time anymore, but even if I was working here, I would dig it. Because there is something cool wherever you are and if all you can do is obsess and complain about the little things, then you need to look into the mirror and examine your life as a whole, because clearly it sucks.

Sure, my life sucks so much that, unlike you, I never had to put in 50 years anywhere, as I got off that bus in my 30's. I haven't been on the planet that long! Always amuses me that people think they are the only ones with resources, and everyone else is scratching to get by? I'm fortunate enough to live wherever the hell I like, and I don't have any need to stay in a country whose Government clearly doesn't want me there. I'll spend my money elsewhere. I don't hate Thailand or Thais, so don't engage in amateur psychology when its clear that you haven't got a clue about me or anyone else who posts here. The forum's for discussion and debate, exchange of views, some of which will not be positive ... something that the "Thaier than Thais" on here have trouble dealing with. 

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I don't have any need to stay in a country whose Government clearly doesn't want me there.

so go then dude, why are you here? And why would you even be posting on a Board about Thailand then? To be a buzz kill? To educate us on how bad it is? Leading us into the light of your knowledge?

I post on this Board  because Im here. Simple as that. If I was in the VI, Id be finding a message board there.

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

The forum's for discussion and debate, exchange of views, some of which will not be positive

Dude, I for one dont care about your view. You dont like it. Whoopee. Why then expend your mental bandwidth on reiterating all your problems with a country you dont like, arent in, wont be coming back to, etc?

Its like obsessing over an ex girlfriend you caught behind the dumpster with a midget biker.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

so go then dude, why are you here? And why would you even be posting on a Board about Thailand then? To be a buzz kill? To educate us on how bad it is? Leading us into the light of your knowledge?

I post on this Board  because Im here. Simple as that. If I was in the VI, Id be finding a message board there.

Dude, I for one dont care about your view. You dont like it. Whoopee. Why then expend your mental bandwidth on reiterating all your problems with a country you dont like, arent in, wont be coming back to, etc?

Its like obsessing over an ex girlfriend you caught behind the dumpster with a midget biker.

I don’t care either for your dumb American take on anything “dude” ... best you just get on with your Bill and Ted great adventure.

Archived