suggestions for small touring bike

steve2112

i want to travel around thailand a bit but only a couple of hundred km per day, with lots of stops

i'm almost thinking of doing it on my PCX but if i could find a good second hand bike around 250-300cc for less than 150k baht, that would be better

i've seen some BMW G 310 GS's for around 150k which look great

although a big scooter like a forza would maybe be more practical but i think the forza is the ugliest thing i've ever seen

any ideas? what should i be looking for? i don't want a 650, i want something light and easy on the gas

The words 'touring' and 'small' don't really go together.  I have an ER6N which is a 650 and I find it ideal for Thai roads.  I've done a little touring on it and plan a lot more - for me its been great.  It was a downsize from my UK bike but I soon got used to it.

The ER6 has plenty of power but its not huge and does well on fuel. Being an 'upright' its also more comfortable than its sporting cousins on long distance rides.

Its up to you but I wouldn't want to go too far on anything smaller.

as much as i hate the looks of the forza, it has a lot of things i like, 1) automatic, i get bored changing gear in town and my left hand has a bit of a arthritis, 2) under seat storage for all my travel <deleted>. i guess the x max is the yamaha equivalent but they seem a lot more expensive second hand.

anyone tour on a forza?

14 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

If an automatic is going to be better for you , just use a scooter with a large top box , and pack accordingly. Even your PCX could do it , but with less luggage and speed.

my butt hurts after about 1-2 hours on my PCX and i have pretty long legs and feel the seat pushes me too far forward to get comfortable on a long trip. down to the pub, no problem at all, but phuket to samui in a day, or even 2 days, not much fun

also, if i can get all my luggage under the seat i prefer that to a top box. less likely to get broken into i think and looks better

its actually the older forza's that look boxy to me but that's what i can easily afford, about 65K for a 2013. newer models are all about 150k

30 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

as much as i hate the looks of the forza, it has a lot of things i like, 1) automatic, i get bored changing gear in town and my left hand has a bit of a arthritis, 2) under seat storage for all my travel <deleted>. i guess the x max is the yamaha equivalent but they seem a lot more expensive second hand.

anyone tour on a forza?

i have a friend who goes from Hua Hin to Phuket and back every year on his Forza. He is 66 and puts his Thai wife on the back. He takes two days to get there.  

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i have a friend who goes to Hua Hin to Phuket and back every year on his Forza. He is 66 and puts his Thai wife on the back. He takes two days to get there.  

i will do that trip also but want to stop in the smaller towns along the way, like bang sapan, etc

i just saw a really nice looking forza on bahtsold in chiang rai, complete with loads of hard luggage. that would be a great trip from CR to phuket

57 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Kawasaki Versys 300 all day long. The future is green. - BTW, 199,000 new.

W300.jpg

i have the 650 Versys for 5 years in Thailand and it has been bullet proof. But 650 would be too big and heavy for most people wanting a easier ride. 

This 300 looks to be a good size and Kawasaki sales and service is in many places in Thailand.

1 hour ago, steve2112 said:

i want to travel around thailand a bit but only a couple of hundred km per day, with lots of stops

11 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

A well made custom seat may be the answer.

Great idea.

One of the great things about Thailand is that you can get decent bespoke/custom stuff made at very reasonable prices. Back in the UK even if you could find somebody capable of and willing to make "stuff" it would most likely be really expensive.

19 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i have the 650 Versys for 5 years in Thailand and it has been bullet proof. But 650 would be too big and heavy for most people wanting a easier ride. 

This 300 looks to be a good size and Kawasaki sales and service is in many places in Thailand.

I have the more laid back Vulcan, I love it but haven't gone that far as Mrs BM is, unfortunately, not a fan of big bikes and I am too fond of my undercarriage to undertake unaccompanied trips (we have a duck farm).

4 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Kawasaki Versys 300 all day long. The future is green. - BTW, 199,000 new.

W300.jpg

Ex Versys 650 owner myself but I find the "baby" Versys too expensive when you can get a Honda 500X for almost same money, the 500 is easy on the gas too according to tests  & owners reports.

A used 500X will likely be easier too find as well.

Yes Forza is pretty ugly, well the new one slightly better looking, how about Yamaha X-max? Those 300cc scooters can do app 120km/h cruising speed which is enough for some but personally I prefer to have spare power at those speeds.

I'm "touring" in a CB300F, and so happy with it. Usually do 250-300Km/day. Comfortable enough, easy to move in the twisties and in the city. Yes, the 286cc is a bit short of power but, as I try to avoid the highways, it's enough for me. I travel solo (my 80Kg and the small luggage).

Many times think about getting a 500 or even a 650, but then I realize that I could do some trips on this already without any problems... and decided to wait a bit more for my next bike - in fact, decided to don't go for a new one until this one do 100K (has 64K right now) [emoji28]

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The words 'touring' and 'small' don't really go together.  I have an ER6N which is a 650 and I find it ideal for Thai roads.  I've done a little touring on it and plan a lot more - for me its been great.  It was a downsize from my UK bike but I soon got used to it.

The ER6 has plenty of power but its not huge and does well on fuel. Being an 'upright' its also more comfortable than its sporting cousins on long distance rides.

Its up to you but I wouldn't want to go too far on anything smaller.

papa has toured Thailand, Laos, Cambo, >30,000km,

on 2009 CBR150.

Fine for 1-up touring.

Cheap as dirt.

Did nearly 700 km one day

(CR-> BKK).

but don't recommend that.

15 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Small, light and cheap. Not much of a touring bike, more like a street version of the KLX250 dual-purpose bike.  122,500 Baht.  Here's a guy zipping around Kuala Lumpur in traffic: 

Z250SL: http://www.kawasaki.co.th/en/motorcycle/z250sl

image.png.31a14998ee6e2b0f451bb67c7c465695.png

Seriously the video says RUSH HOUR it looks more like a holiday from using the roads.

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have a friend who goes from Hua Hin to Phuket and back every year on his Forza. He is 66 and puts his Thai wife on the back. He takes two days to get there.  

And every year she finds her way back.

Knew a young farang without much money did Phuket to Chiang Rai return on his cheapy scooter......very happy and wasn't in a rush.

Most of the comments about the smaller bikes seem to be single cylinder and that may be why there wasn't any oomph at higher speeds. If you only plan on 200 klicks a day most seats should be pretty comfy as that is only 120 miles around two hours or three with breaks. Have fun. 

Scooters are great for the city, but not ideal for touring.  The compromised design of having an engine sitting on the swing arm can lead to hard suspension with limited travel.  Also, having all the weight on your but by sitting upright is not ideal

A low cost motorcycle is often a better solution - Honda Wave, Yamaha Finn, Kawasaki W175 etc.  These cost 50k to 80k new.  Even better is a lightweight motorcycle like a Honda CRF 250 or a Kawasaki 300 or a middleweight like a Honda 500.

It may not sound totally logical, but if you tour on a small bike, and it feels strained, you will feel more tired at the end of the days ride.

1 hour ago, Captain 776 said:

65 people a day die in road accidents..........85% of that 65 die on motorcycles........still want to ride?

This is motorbike forum, some of us here love to ride bikes.

I have never posted in the gay forum, not interested and non of my businesses what other people do or don't so I can't really post anything of value there, getting the hint?

Archived