suggestions for small touring bike

steve2112

You may not like the look of the Forza, that I don't understand, but I can assure you that it is very comfortable over long journeys, and very easy on the gas.

Also easy for lane splitting in the likes of Bangkok, even with two saddlebags on.

On 9/15/2019 at 10:47 AM, steve2112 said:

as much as i hate the looks of the forza, it has a lot of things i like, 1) automatic, i get bored changing gear in town and my left hand has a bit of a arthritis, 2) under seat storage for all my travel <deleted>. i guess the x max is the yamaha equivalent but they seem a lot more expensive second hand.

anyone tour on a forza?

Yes me, lots of times between Pattaya, Bangkok and around Isaan. 32,000 Ks over the last four years.

On 9/15/2019 at 2:39 PM, Kwasaki said:

Don't understand you want do it on a motorbike or a scoot a PCX can handle 200 kilos a day just as easy as any 300 cc bike so why bother.

I have also rode a PCX down to Pattaya and up to Mudakhan to the other side of Thailand at Maesot.

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have also rode a PCX down to Pattaya and up to Mudakhan to the other side of Thailand at Maesot.

Rather you than me, the small wheels on them make it pretty unstable, brakes are also <deleted>.

I've a PCX for a run around, for that it's fine.

56 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Rather you than me, the small wheels on them make it pretty unstable, brakes are also <deleted>.

I've a PCX for a run around, for that it's fine.

A lot of comfort on a smaller bike may have something to do with your weight, although I am 6ft tall, I am only about 76K, most farangs are about 20-30K heavier.

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

A lot of comfort on a smaller bike may have something to do with your weight, although I am 6ft tall, I am only about 76K, most farangs are about 20-30K heavier.

i would n't want to go more than 10km on my PCX, i'm 5'11" just over 80kg ( fine specimen of a humanoid ).

picked up a ktm duke 390 about a month ago. great mid size bike and i am really happy with it. shortly after i rode from pathum thani to hat yai. no problems and more than enough power to get you out of sticky situations. seat could be a little more comfy for longer rides. 

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

image.png.63a586b8629d42bb70567d710920509e.png

image.png.c61047b831c6d803d076c7e63dedfb69.png

image.png.6aff9983e00de4c605379b3851bc029a.png

Harley, Goldwing, Beemer.

All below 2000cc.

Small 'nuff?

I was coming back from CR last december early morning ( about 0615 ) with a friend, we were on Multisrada and Diavel doing about 140-150kmph and a guy on a Goldwing went past like we were parked....

We pulled up to the lights and had a quick news, it was chilly that early we asked him if he wanted to stop and have a coffee but he was quite happy to continue coz had heating - lol.

Me and my mate stopped until about 0800, after that we put our dresses back on and continued.

Those GW's are massive.

Not my thing but nice bike!

23 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

65 people a day die in road accidents..........85% of that 65 die on motorcycles........still want to ride?

Quite true. But the great majority of those casualties are young male Thais clowning around on rural roads, often after drinking and usually no helmet of course.

Thailand is a great country for sensible riders and I have no trepidations about riding here.

9 hours ago, JaiLai said:

i would n't want to go more than 10km on my PCX, i'm 5'11" just over 80kg ( fine specimen of a humanoid ).

I have no answer for that except maybe your not being truthful, I don't mean about your height and weight, a PCX is only slightly bigger than a Wave, and you would have a problem riding 10km on it??????

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have no answer for that except maybe your not being truthful, I don't mean about your height and weight, a PCX is only slightly bigger than a Wave, and you would have a problem riding 10km on it??????

yes

On 9/16/2019 at 8:53 PM, Kinnock said:

Scooters are great for the city, but not ideal for touring.  The compromised design of having an engine sitting on the swing arm can lead to hard suspension with limited travel.  Also, having all the weight on your but by sitting upright is not ideal

A low cost motorcycle is often a better solution - Honda Wave, Yamaha Finn, Kawasaki W175 etc.  These cost 50k to 80k new.  Even better is a lightweight motorcycle like a Honda CRF 250 or a Kawasaki 300 or a middleweight like a Honda 500.

It may not sound totally logical, but if you tour on a small bike, and it feels strained, you will feel more tired at the end of the days ride.

I agree with this and my comparison is not with that small motorcycle. I did kind of a long trip from Bkk to the most southern part in Trat to the cambodian border on the old Forza. Wasnt that fun. I have done from bkk to Nan and the area on a cbr250r. I think it was more enjoyable than with the forza. And most recently I rode to Nakhon Nayok from Bkk ( and back) and had the same feeling of not enough but not speed or power just not fun or I am not sure what word I can use. Then not long after I did the same trip on a cb1000 and the trip was longer since I took a wrong turn but I really enjoyed it. Yes more power s better, the engine sound and all the feelings together made it pleasant trip all the way, even through rain. 

Sonce the op s asking for a smaller motorcycle, i will only add to the options offered the cbr300 or if money s not a problem the Japanese made cbr250rr . ???? 

On 9/16/2019 at 3:39 PM, Captain 776 said:

65 people a day die in road accidents..........85% of that 65 die on motorcycles........still want to ride?

And what percentage of those 65 are Thai? 99.999999% ???

People who pull out on to a main road without even a cursory glance to their right, trusting Buddha to protect them, shouldn't expect to live long.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:59 PM, Moonlover said:

Quite true. But the great majority of those casualties are young male Thais clowning around on rural roads, often after drinking and usually no helmet of course.

Thailand is a great country for sensible riders and I have no trepidations about riding here.

You make a good point but you should have caution when riding here.  You can be Marc Marquez and it only takes one idiot drunk or sober to blind side you.

14 minutes ago, losworld said:

You make a good point but you should have caution when riding here.  You can be Marc Marquez and it only takes one idiot drunk or sober to blind side you.

You can also stay in home wrap yourself in cotton and wait to die. I mean its all about what risk a person thinks are too much. Personally I would not want to live here if i could not use my scooter. My scooter is so much better then my car for all the shopping. 

Sure if a drunk hits you its end of story.. but you could also die tripping in your shower.. does that keep you from showering ? 

And what percentage of those 65 are Thai? 99.999999% ???
People who pull out on to a main road without even a cursory glance to their right, trusting Buddha to protect them, shouldn't expect to live long.
I'm begining to believe in that Buddha protection after a couple of very close calls due to the VERY OLD somchai doing the farmer's U turn just trusting in Buddha. How the hell did they manage to survive 80 years doing the same thing everyday?

Archived