Can foreigner on retirement visa apply for gun permit

haymanpl

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

:clap2:

Absolutely right. Possessing a gun  puts you in a aggressive posture and makes it much more likely that you would be hurt. 

I know  that not having a gun makes you safer is counter intuitive but it is absolutely true, which is why the NRA does not want and desperately tries to prevent research on gun related violence. 

With a gun you confront, but you are the good guy, and you are not sure of the alleged  bad guy's intentions (it could be your son sneaking in)  so you inquire. but the bad guy knows your intentions, Right there you are at a distinct disadvantage, 

Who needs a permit , just carry .

• Sad 1

OP I can understand how as a female in Thailand you might feel the need to have a firearm to protect yourself.  But fear not.  Plenty of tough guys here in this thread that don't want you to have a gun but are ready to pull out their keyboards at a moments notice and beat any Thai or group of Thais that dared rob or assault you!

And if they left their keyboards at home I'm confident in that case they'll call the local police which should be a great relief to you.  ????

Edited by Oliver Holzerfilled
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

OP I can understand how as a female in Thailand you might feel the need to have a firearm to protect yourself.  But fear not.  Plenty of tough guys here in this thread that don't want you to have a gun but are ready to pull out their keyboards at a moments notice and beat any Thai or group of Thais that dared rob or assault you!

And if they left their keyboards at home I'm confident in that case they'll call the local police which should be a great relief to you.  ????

The average person is way safer without a gun. (The chance to get something taken from you might be higher, but the chance to get hurt or killed is way lower)

But i'm sure a tough guy like you would just gun the group of Thais down instead of just given them the few thousand baht which you have in your pocket. And standing your ground is totally worth going to Thai jail after this.

Edited by jackdd

20 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The average person is way safer without a gun. (The chance to get something taken from you might be higher, but the chance to get hurt or killed is way lower)

But i'm sure a tough guy like you would just gun the group of Thais down instead of just given them the few thousand baht which you have in your pocket. And standing your ground is totally worth going to Thai jail after this.

I just find it amusing some keyboard warriors want to "mansplain" to a woman with safety concerns.  As for what I would do, Jack please try to keep up.  I agree with you, and I would never carry a gun.  But this thread is about a female in Thailand with safety concerns who is interested in owning a gun.    

To the OP, as some of the other others have respectfully pointed out, I believe exploring solutions to your safety concerns other than owning a gun would be preferable.      

7 hours ago, haymanpl said:

Why is it so bias in favor of Thais?

So Thai's can have guns to protect themselves but foreigners who live here permanently cannot?

Their marksmanship isn't the best.  This gives them a home-court advantage. :cheesy:

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

And you had a gun, pulled it out and shot the assailant, correct?

Totally incorrect. But if my wife had had a gun at the time, then undoubtedly, I'd have used it to protect myself and my family. The intruder was there possibly to do us harm not to tell us we'd left the porch light on. Do you think the intruder was not armed? So go take your smug reply and...…………….whatever.

11 hours ago, sirineou said:
12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In how many countries are foreigners, especially from a different race, treated like the locals?

Officially they are in every civilised country 

I don't know France (but I am using France as an example , as to exclude my own national bias) .So in France if a store charged immigrants more than locals what do you think the official response would be when they found out? Substitute US, Germany Sweden, etc etc

Yes, officially I am sure you are right in many countries.

But ask anyone with a black skin or an Asian how he is treated in many countries. I.e. when they are looking to rent an apartment and there are also locals, who do you think is more likely to get it? It seems lots of people are still uncomfortable with the "others".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

I believe exploring solutions to your safety concerns other than owning a gun would be preferable.      

What would they be? If someone's determined to do what they want to do they'll come armed. Yes you can sleep with a knife under your pillow but it ain't much good if the intruder has a gun. And in Thailand there's a good chance he will have.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What would they be? If someone's determined to do what they want to do they'll come armed. Yes you can sleep with a knife under your pillow but it ain't much good if the intruder has a gun. And in Thailand there's a good chance he will have.

Why would somebody want to kill you?

21 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why would somebody want to kill you?

I ask myself the same question. I've been married for over 40 years, so she probably has her reasons.  The food she makes is still OK.  But her favorite TV show here in the USA is called "Forensic Files".  Murder and mayhem cases solved by scientific analysis.  I told her don't try any of that stuff because they've already figured it out.  Have to try something new. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Do you think the intruder was not armed?

You never told us - how should we know?

In the worst case scenario the intruder was armed and there to do you harm. This situation is likely to almost never happen during most normal peoples lifetimes so the need to populate the nation with fire arms will cause more harm than good. 

• Like 2

'Remove yourself from the situation' was a post responding to poster. Well, I usually agree with that, but a close friend of mine was robbed at night in his own home by a few Thai guys with a gun. There was a knock at the door and when they checked to see who was there, a hand holding a gun was pointing at them and they were ordered to open the door. Then their home was ransacked and rings plus small amount of cash was taken. Only by their not challenging them did they escape possible injury or worse. In cases like this- what would be your response ? Not sure if owning a weapon in this situation might have offered personal protection or not. It might have avoided losing wedding rings etc. Difficult to know what is the best, but I think individuals should be able to protect themselves, or at least make that decision, especially in their own home, but currently innocent people are at the mercy of violent nutters without any re-dress as local B.I.B do little to nothing to help or protect.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Totally incorrect. But if my wife had had a gun at the time, then undoubtedly, I'd have used it to protect myself and my family. The intruder was there possibly to do us harm not to tell us we'd left the porch light on. Do you think the intruder was not armed? So go take your smug reply and...…………….whatever.

I am smug too..seems you survived and nothing happened. With a gun you might have shot and killed someone just for entering your house or worse you could have been shot. 

Americans (the gun loving kind) are paranoid people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, generealty said:

'Remove yourself from the situation' was a post responding to poster. Well, I usually agree with that, but a close friend of mine was robbed at night in his own home by a few Thai guys with a gun. There was a knock at the door and when they checked to see who was there, a hand holding a gun was pointing at them and they were ordered to open the door. Then their home was ransacked and rings plus small amount of cash was taken. Only by their not challenging them did they escape possible injury or worse. In cases like this- what would be your response ? Not sure if owning a weapon in this situation might have offered personal protection or not. It might have avoided losing wedding rings etc. Difficult to know what is the best, but I think individuals should be able to protect themselves, or at least make that decision, especially in their own home, but currently innocent people are at the mercy of violent nutters without any re-dress as local B.I.B do little to nothing to help or protect.

Just imagine now the guy survived with just some things lost and a shock. If he had a gun and both started shooting just imagine the carnage to both that could have happened. In this case not having a gun made it better. Even if you open the door with a gun drawn it could end in a shooting. 

13 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Just get yer missus to apply for one. Very easy for her to obtain. I assume you want it for security? In the event of using it you get the missus to say she fired it. Job done.

Make sure you shoot at least one round into the ceiling . That way you can claim you fired a warning shot first.

On a serious note you might be able to get a permit for a shotgun if you are a remember of the skeet shooting club?

No! You cannot own a firearm in Thailand.

It is possible for a Thai wife to own a firearm in Thailand.

Some gun clubs will allow you to join there club and you can use a club firearm. 

If your wife buys a firearm and belongs to a club then you are able to use that firearm at the club.

Always under supervision.

Under no circumstances can you have the firearm on you any other time.

• Like 1

Guns are not the prefered method of offing yourself or someone else here in LOS. 

Jumping from a balcony or pushing another person over a balcony railing seems to be common

And you don't need a licence .  5555

(Yes, another off-topic asinine response from Skally again). 

Stay safe out there !

Edited by Skallywag