Can foreigner on retirement visa apply for gun permit

haymanpl

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

Americans (the gun loving kind) are paranoid people.

Speaking as a gun loving American, I would note that just because you are paranoid doesnt mean that someone aint out to get you. But your gratuitous, childish, euro-reflexive, ignorant and anti american canard aside, I would note that:

The right, let me repeat that, the right to own, use and possess a firearm is a right that is possessed by US citizens and Permanent US residents in the USA under the greatest document enshrining freedom ever written, the US Constitution, with extrmeley limited exceptions. I have no complaint about Thailands rules regarding furriners and guns. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Lagavulin said:

No. Foreigners are no longer allowed to buy guns.

This is not true - or at least not true in Bangkok; outside Bangkok, it is quite possible that many provinces will not issue a permit to a foreigner (in fact, they won't always issue them to Thais). The key requirement is to be on a household registration. As with many regulatory matters, it is much easier if you live in Bangkok.

OP > if you want to buy a firearm for personal protection, my advice is don't. If you're worried about home invasion, keep a baseball bat by your bed. Much easier to use. Much less likely to hurt anyone other than someone you're trying to hit with it. Depending on how your home is constructed, discharging a firearm inside it is fraught with risk to others, as is keeping a loaded firearm in a bedside drawer or wherever.

However if your interest is in sport shooting, there is an active sports shooting community in Thailand (IPSC and IDPA), and foreigners resident in Thailand are among those who participate. 

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Speaking as a gun loving American, I would note that just because you are paranoid doesnt mean that someone aint out to get you. But your gratuitous, childish, euro-reflexive, ignorant and anti american canard aside, I would note that:

The right, let me repeat that, the right to own, use and possess a firearm is a right that is possessed by US citizens and Permanent US residents in the USA under the greatest document enshrining freedom ever written, the US Constitution, with extrmeley limited exceptions. I have no complaint about Thailands rules regarding furriners and guns. 

Yes i forgot the gun loving Americans are real sensitive, cant complain about them. But as someone from a country with low murder rate low gun rate and stuff like that I can only say our way works your way does not. (at the same time i realise there are no easy solutions now that guns are everywhere in your country).

I agree with Thailands gun laws too the less people with guns the better. Wish they got real tough on gun possession seems not to be a big deal if you own a gun and have no license if your a Thai.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Yes i forgot the gun loving Americans are real sensitive, cant complain about them.

You can complain about any particular gun loving American you want, its just soo childish to see folks extrapolate as to a whole nation the alleged personal characteristics of a ferw.

But hey I can play the game too Euro boys. Lets say that all Euros are a bunch of neo nazi rascists. See that in footie matches dont we? Ever watch an Ajax match?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

You can complain about any particular gun loving American you want, its just soo childish to see folks extrapolate as to a whole nation the alleged personal characteristics of a ferw.

But hey I can play the game too Euro boys. Lets say that all Euros are a bunch of neo nazi rascists. See that in footie matches dont we? Ever watch an Ajax match?

To be honest unlike you I don't like footie and your 100% right about the people watching and the fans. Lots of low life trouble makers. 

I did not extrapolate a whole nation.. just the pro gun ones. Like i said its shown to be a complete failure if you compare it with my country. (as i said before right now there is no real solution as those guns will never be taken out of the country). I just don't understand why people still support the gun laws with so much problems they cause.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, haymanpl said:

I think there's Pro's and Con's to living in Thailand however Thai people need to treat people equally and in this country, that's still not happening.

Sometimes i feel like a second hand citizen, like there's 1 law for Thai's and 1 for farung.

I would just like to see the country move forward and improve.

And by owning a gun you are helping how?

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why do you choose to settle in a country where you feel so unsafe that you need to carry a gun? I am probably stupid, but I thought the whole idea with moving abroad was to get away from problems and get a better life.

Because the liberals and morons are everywhere 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

no. and don't carry any type of weapon at all.

if you feel you need to carry a weapon remove yourself from the situation. 

Good advice. 

Shooting is quite popular with Thais. There are a number of organizations that run training days and week ends and from what I can see these are popular with each course filled easily. I have several Thai friends who all shoot pistols. A foreigner could attend but would need to speak Thai. Good if you enjoy shooting but you cannot own or buy guns as foreigners are not allowed permits.

I have some Thai friends who teach various martial arts and self defense, male and female. Many carry small knives, extension batons, or even wear a small neck knife. They practice martial arts where small knives are used, I train with them on occasion and they are serious martial artists. They wonder why I never carry any of my weapons like they do. The reason is very simple. They are well connected Thai nationals. I'm a foreigner married to a Thai. Foreigners are very unwise to get into any trouble here and even more so to carry and use weapons of any kind, even in self defense. Avoid trouble. Otherwise it will cost, one way or another.

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

no. and don't carry any type of weapon at all.

if you feel you need to carry a weapon remove yourself from the situation. 

I refuse to be a statistic, yep the wife is packing. Maybe you feel better retreating to your safe room.

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

To be honest unlike you I don't like footie and your 100% right about the people watching and the fans. Lots of low life trouble makers. 

I did not extrapolate a whole nation.. just the pro gun ones. Like i said its shown to be a complete failure if you compare it with my country. (as i said before right now there is no real solution as those guns will never be taken out of the country). I just don't understand why people still support the gun laws with so much problems they cause.

It's not the guns or gun laws per se that cause the problems. It's issues in society: culture, education, substance abuse, crime, etc etc etc. that need addressing. Tackle the root causes not the symptoms.

Thailand has a massive problem with deaths and serious accidents caused by driving issues. Is the answer to ban vehicles? No of course not. Similarly when the idiot Mayor of London thinks banning knives will prevent stabbings - since his efforts stabbings have actually increased in London!

Politician need to address the real issues - but can't or don't want to.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lagavulin said:

No. Foreigners are no longer allowed to buy guns.

17 hours ago, haymanpl said:

Why is it so bias in favor of Thais?

If a foreigner could buy a gun, he could then conceivably stage a coup...

and that's a National Security risk!

• Haha 1

I just wanted a license to own an air rifle, but when I saw the price of decent air rifles in Thailand I couldn't be bothered. I'll look into it again when I move upcountry. But I would not consider owning a handgun. I don't see the need. 

For any in the know, would it be easier to get a license in Bangkok or upcountry? That is, should I get the license here in Bangkok before moving or just wait until I move. I do qualify.   

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Depends where you live. But because white boy is an easy money target as they think. Haven't you ever lived somewhere here that is actually really dangerous? And most places as in a house are very penetrable. 

I've been to some shady looking sois in the night as well as to many remote places, but i've never felt unsafe here in Thailand.

Somebody who wants to take your belongings, doesn't want to kill you. But if you provoke it by confronting him with a gun, he might hurt or kill you.

I have no personal experience with this, and probably will never have it because i don't think having a gun is smart, but just imagine a situation like this (not that i ever had anybody entering my house at night, or that i personally know anybody who had this happen to him)

In the night you wake up because you hear some noise downstairs, somebody is in your house. The person goes upstairs and enters your bedroom.

If you have a gun:

You prepared your gun when you heard the noise and are going to point the gun at him. Are you 100% certain that you will pull the trigger and accept that you might kill the person? If you are in shock and don't pull the trigger (in probably less than a second, no time for second thoughts) he might kill you upon seeing your gun. Are you able to properly aim in such a stress situation and hit him? If you miss him, he might kill you.

If you don't have a gun:

The person didn't enter your house to hurt or kill you, but just to take your belongings, actually he would have preferred that you had not been at home. He will tell you to stay down, take your stuff and leave. The chance that he will hurt or kill you if you don't provoke him is close to zero.

Let's say you had a gun and shot the offender... turns out it was your neighbour, he was drunk as <deleted>, mistook your house for his house and it turns out that you forgot to lock the door of your house this evening.

Even if it turns out that he came to rob you, you might still go to jail for killing him.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

In the worst case scenario the intruder was armed and there to do you harm. This situation is likely to almost never happen during most normal peoples lifetimes so the need to populate the nation with fire arms will cause more harm than good. 

But it happened to me and my family. It only takes the once. As we're told 'be prepared'. In fact my story goes on to what to do after the likes of that happening. In our case my missus couldn't stop shaking for days and couldn't sleep. We live in a village where the police live within the community. The day after our break-in a policeman friend came around and gave me an old revolver plus bullets so as to calm my missus down. Now this was going back a few years and I asked what would happen if I shot an intruder with this. All he said was not to worry '1500 baht will sort out any problems'. I kept the gun for a few months before returning it.

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

Do as the Thais do. 

No license is the best way forward IMO. Ask your friendly local copper where to get. He'll probably have a few spare or know of where to get.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes i forgot the gun loving Americans are real sensitive, cant complain about them. But as someone from a country with low murder rate low gun rate and stuff like that I can only say our way works your way does not. (at the same time i realise there are no easy solutions now that guns are everywhere in your country).

I agree with Thailands gun laws too the less people with guns the better. Wish they got real tough on gun possession seems not to be a big deal if you own a gun and have no license if your a Thai.

Happened to grow up with guns all my life in the USA and if ever moved back would certainly get 1 or 2 new ones. The old ones I kept them in storage at the folks home until finally off loaded them. Big deal. Every time I go back I go to my brother's ranch and he has an arsenal I get to use and shoot things up with. Have my pick of make and model. Bullets are expensive for some..

Guns are only dangerous with the gangs and some off balanced people, but if most people carried guns they could honestly shoot the off balance ones before they project too much harm on their rampage. But then that is a catch 22 as well. Gangs normally kill each other. 

Thailand is easy to get a firearm. Too easy. I could go out and get one within one day if I wanted. More Thai have them unregistered than you would believe and that is scary as are too hot head and uncontrollable to have a gun on them.

Like so many without motorcycle licenses, they just don't care. 

Honestly I prefer golf clubs as are more fun.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1