Can foreigner on retirement visa apply for gun permit

haymanpl

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

It's not the guns or gun laws per se that cause the problems. It's issues in society: culture, education, substance abuse, crime, etc etc etc. that need addressing. Tackle the root causes not the symptoms.

Thailand has a massive problem with deaths and serious accidents caused by driving issues. Is the answer to ban vehicles? No of course not. Similarly when the idiot Mayor of London thinks banning knives will prevent stabbings - since his efforts stabbings have actually increased in London!

Politician need to address the real issues - but can't or don't want to.

Knives serve a purpose.. guns do not. Or at least not if your not a hunter. A knife is different (unless you carry it on you). It sure is a lot easier to kill someone with a gun then with a knife. People could stop someone with a knife easier if need be. A gun.. forget about it. How often do you hear about good people with guns (not law enforcement) really stopping a shooter. Its almost unheard of so that argument holds no water.

Again a car is useful so is a bike, guns and knives have no use (or at least knives not out of the kitchen). You cannot even consider banning cars, you can enforce traffic laws better. In my country guns are banned and guess what we got one of the lowest gun crimes in the world. So it does work. I don't think it will work in the US anymore because there are too many guns already. But the fact that there are still people thinking its a good idea to have guns just makes no sense to me.

You see them here on Thaivisa too wanting a gun to confront people to (protect what is theirs). I think having a gun or a weapon is only putting yourself in a more dangerous position. Avoidance is best confronting people only leads to more violence. Just think about it if you have something in your car your more liable to use it in an incident instead of avoiding problems. So more liable to get in a bad situation.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Happened to grow up with guns all my life in the USA and if ever moved back would certainly get 1 or 2 new ones. The old ones I kept them in storage at the folks home until finally off loaded them. Big deal. Every time I go back I go to my brother's ranch and he has an arsenal I get to use and shoot things up with. Have my pick of make and model. Bullets are expensive for some..

Guns are only dangerous with the gangs and some off balanced people, but if most people carried guns they could honestly shoot the off balance ones before they project too much harm on their rampage. But then that is a catch 22 as well. Gangs normally kill each other. 

Thailand is easy to get a firearm. Too easy. I could go out and get one within one day if I wanted. More Thai have them unregistered than you would believe and that is scary as are too hot head and uncontrollable to have a gun on them.

Like so many without motorcycle licenses, they just don't care. 

Honestly I prefer golf clubs as are more fun.

I disagree with the part that the balanced people shoot the unbalanced ones. How often has a normal person not police shot one those people on a shooting spree ? Don't think it has ever happened. So its kinda a moot point.

As for your brother he lives on a ranch, wildlife and other things about. Then guns are a tool and useful. Different story in crowded places like cities. The problem is too many stupid people get guns. I would not want a drunk neighbor owning a gun. Then I might have to get one to protect myself. That is how you get an arms race and a totally crazy situation.

I don't like golf but guns are fun for target shooting or stuff like that. But I just don't like them in the hand of just everyone like in the US. Too dangerous as has been proven already.

17 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

There is no super sizing here in Thailand. Something my American friends complain about constantly.

My suggestion that they just buy two has met with nothing but snorts of derision. 

Greedy bastards. But if they wait a while, the Mc whatever will really kick in and Thais will also expect giant portions of food with no chance of working it off.

16 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Hi whats that mean in English?

sorry forgot that you speak American, your buddy said ''if you feel you need to carry a weapon, remove yourself from that situation''  so how many people in Texas have a concealed firearm licence, meaning they should remove themselves from that situation then no need to carry a gun around. Yes you have the right to bear arms but why should your average joe be able to buy a AR15 or armour piercing ammunition.

29 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I've been to some shady looking sois in the night as well as to many remote places, but i've never felt unsafe here in Thailand.

Somebody who wants to take your belongings, doesn't want to kill you. But if you provoke it by confronting him with a gun, he might hurt or kill you.

I have no personal experience with this, and probably will never have it because i don't think having a gun is smart, but just imagine a situation like this (not that i ever had anybody entering my house at night, or that i personally know anybody who had this happen to him)

In the night you wake up because you hear some noise downstairs, somebody is in your house. The person goes upstairs and enters your bedroom.

If you have a gun:

You prepared your gun when you heard the noise and are going to point the gun at him. Are you 100% certain that you will pull the trigger and accept that you might kill the person? If you are in shock and don't pull the trigger (in probably less than a second, no time for second thoughts) he might kill you upon seeing your gun. Are you able to properly aim in such a stress situation and hit him? If you miss him, he might kill you.

If you don't have a gun:

The person didn't enter your house to hurt or kill you, but just to take your belongings, actually he would have preferred that you had not been at home. He will tell you to stay down, take your stuff and leave. The chance that he will hurt or kill you if you don't provoke him is close to zero.

Let's say you had a gun and shot the offender... turns out it was your neighbour, he was drunk as <deleted>, mistook your house for his house and it turns out that you forgot to lock the door of your house this evening.

Even if it turns out that he came to rob you, you might still go to jail for killing him.

Sorry don't buy it. Of course if one has a gun you will have had training and practice or are an idiot not to. I would not hesitate one second to shoot if someone is in my house. Although we do not have a gun as is not fitting for my area. Yes I have had burglars here in Thailand at my window trying to come in before (and one time was in Bangkok). Even beat one with his own club one time as I caught him on the street..

If we did have a gun, we would not jump to conclusions and pick it up every time we heard a noise, but would be well aware something is out of place. Our dogs would alert us to the noise as they are indoor dogs and know everyone's sound and so if did bark would shut up quick with any family member. Guns are only dangerous in jumpy untrained or unbalanced people. So for me now, we don't want one here, and for most Thai being 99.9% they should not have one either. If I lived in Issan in the outer area, then yes I would absolutely want one and would get one.

But in safer areas easier to get a cross bow or a spear gun and equally as dangerous and less punishment if used it on a burglar rather than a gun here. I actually just keep a machete in the house with cc tv. My old house was way more dangerous than my newer one.

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

I disagree with the part that the balanced people shoot the unbalanced ones. How often has a normal person not police shot one those people on a shooting spree ? Don't think it has ever happened. So its kinda a moot point.

As for your brother he lives on a ranch, wildlife and other things about. Then guns are a tool and useful. Different story in crowded places like cities. The problem is too many stupid people get guns. I would not want a drunk neighbor owning a gun. Then I might have to get one to protect myself. That is how you get an arms race and a totally crazy situation.

I don't like golf but guns are fun for target shooting or stuff like that. But I just don't like them in the hand of just everyone like in the US. Too dangerous as has been proven already.

Actually.... Recently in the USA there has been one or two times the armed citizen did good justice. Not every state allows it so it is not a given to be able to have and hold. California is a no have and carry outside of your home in public for one, but on private property is fully legal.

That is the total problem with Thailand, it is the ones who have a gun who get drunk and use them. Not sure what the punishment is for a Thai with an unregistered gun here, but can't be all that much. for the USA, I agree, not everyone should have a gun and should be better check ups and in to a person's demeaner. But it should be legal if you want one. Yes target practice and shooting big guns can be a lot of fun. Even hunting if you have the stomach for it.

Of course you can apply. However I recommend you do not hold your breath waiting for approval. You want to carry or even own a weapon, I suggest you live in America and become a citizen where that right is written into the constitution. In almost all other country you have no rights to defend yourself or any other rights guaranteed to you. That’s what makes the USA so special on this planet.

How about we ask the Thai government to pull all retirement visas for all Americans until their country has banned all weapons and it's out of their system? Which is probably never.. Morons.. should all go back to their own country and retire each other with their guns there so the rest of the world can live in peace.

22 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Actually.... Recently in the USA there has been one or two times the armed citizen did good justice. Not every state allows it so it is not a given to be able to have and hold. California is a no have and carry outside of your home in public for one, but on private property is fully legal.

That is the total problem with Thailand, it is the ones who have a gun who get drunk and use them. Not sure what the punishment is for a Thai with an unregistered gun here, but can't be all that much. for the USA, I agree, not everyone should have a gun and should be better check ups and in to a person's demeaner. But it should be legal if you want one. Yes target practice and shooting big guns can be a lot of fun. Even hunting if you have the stomach for it.

Yes in Thailand they should punish people with guns that are not registered a lot more. The problem is indeed drunk people with guns and other idiots with them. The thing is once you have a gun its easy to feel over confident and use it. Just my opinion of course.

41 minutes ago, ancharee said:

sorry forgot that you speak American, your buddy said ''if you feel you need to carry a weapon, remove yourself from that situation''  so how many people in Texas have a concealed firearm licence, meaning they should remove themselves from that situation then no need to carry a gun around. Yes you have the right to bear arms but why should your average joe be able to buy a AR15 or armour piercing ammunition.

Oh OK, I see the english is better now wot wot.

This is a thread about Thailand, and for me to try to educate folks with no training in firearms, little knowledge about firearms and no tradition of freedom, self reliance and self defense would be far off topic.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

no. and don't carry any type of weapon at all.

if you feel you need to carry a weapon remove yourself from the situation. 

I’ve always bought and carried a knife in every country I’ve spent time in. I’ve carried a knife ever since I was in Cubs and Scouts and time with military. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

It sure is a lot easier to kill someone with a gun then with a knife.

that depends who has the gun or the knife. I know knife guys who would easily take out your average gangbanger with a gun.

How often do you hear about good people with guns (not law enforcement) really stopping a shooter.

well I have done it ????

Just now, Catoni said:

Yes, also carried a knife in Thailand. Why would you ask or be surprised? 

Damn dude I was looking at some Benchmades the other day, but chickened out, both because they were so stupidly overpriced and I wouldnt want to get in any trouble with the PoPo. I alwys carry a knife in the USA, usually an auto, mostly to clean my nails and cut pizza.

But hey, if that seatbelt is jammed, or some big dude has me on the ground and is whaling on me......

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes in Thailand they should punish people with guns that are not registered a lot more. The problem is indeed drunk people with guns and other idiots with them. The thing is once you have a gun its easy to feel over confident and use it. Just my opinion of course.

I don't disagree with you, especially when considering Thais with guns. Very bad mixture for the most part. Honestly guns scare me to the point of even realizing that if you shoot, that bullet is going more than 10 yards. Just had some kid in Thailand shoot his rifle at a lizard or something and hit the person riding on the bicycle on the street which was a bit of a distance away. Out of the city area in a semi out of the way area, but Murphy's law was the bullet hit the guy in the head dead.. No common sense what so ever. In the USA it is young little punks with guns who get really cocky. I have had them pulled on me a couple of times. 

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You don't need a gun here, go live in the USA if you want one.

Or Israel or Switzerland. Personally I like the machine guns at home in Switzy myself, even though they dont let you break into the ammo stash.

Some old dudes over in Bern are still packing Lugers and 210s I bet....classic!

Edited by Nyezhov

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, officially I am sure you are right in many countries.

But ask anyone with a black skin or an Asian how he is treated in many countries. I.e. when they are looking to rent an apartment and there are also locals, who do you think is more likely to get it? It seems lots of people are still uncomfortable with the "others".

Tribalism and racism exists anywhere .it is am unfortunate aspect of human nature, one we try to overcome with various levels of success.

but when such nature becomes official policy then I hope we can  all agree  it is a step in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

Just now, NCC1701A said:

how long is the blade? what type of knife is it?

It’s a SAK. Victorinix Swiss Army Knife. Not the small tiny model.

I’m going to be 68 years old in November. I’ve been carrying a knife of one type or another since I was a kid. Started shooting at the age of 7 with my father and grandfather. Had my first rifle at 12 years of age. My first hunting license at 16, my first hand gun at 21. 

In Canada of all places. Yes....I grew up and owned weapons legally in Canada. Hard to believe? 

Won a few trophies shooting Glock 17, 9mm in competition against police and military. 

I still carry at least a SAK....all these years. 

7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I don't disagree with you, especially when considering Thais with guns. Very bad mixture for the most part. Honestly guns scare me to the point of even realizing that if you shoot, that bullet is going more than 10 yards. Just had some kid in Thailand shoot his rifle at a lizard or something and hit the person riding on the bicycle on the street which was a bit of a distance away. Out of the city area in a semi out of the way area, but Murphy's law was the bullet hit the guy in the head dead.. No common sense what so ever. In the USA it is young little punks with guns who get really cocky. I have had them pulled on me a couple of times. 

I realize how it works with guns, i watch a lot of US reality shows and one of them is north woods law. They really explain about hunting and shooting close to houses and roads. Once you realise how dangerous it is and that bullets go a long way you soon understand its not a good idea for people to have guns. Sure there are some responsible people but that is far from everyone. 

And I add; how can it be OK for teenagers (many of them not yet fully rational adults) to carry sidearms in classrooms and also teachers allowed to carry guns in classrooms. In other words ins a somewhat confined space where other immature kids can grab the sidearm when the student is not paying attention to the whole matter and or same with the teacher.

And, especially for the teacher that's not even looking at the fact most teachers don't have training in how to respond in a class room setting and therefor putting more danger into the situation

for more kids.

Thank god I grew up in a country where private citizens are horrified at the idea of guns in the community and strongly support and new or adjusted legislation etc., to ensure guns are kept out of the community. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Damn dude I was looking at some Benchmades the other day, but chickened out, both because they were so stupidly overpriced and I wouldnt want to get in any trouble with the PoPo. I alwys carry a knife in the USA, usually an auto, mostly to clean my nails and cut pizza.

But hey, if that seatbelt is jammed, or some big dude has me on the ground and is whaling on me......

Buy a nice Victorinix SAK. You can get them in Thailand. I bought one when I was in Chiang Mai. (Couldn’t take it on the plane from Canada to Thailand obviously) 

When I flew out of Chiang Mai many months later, I gave it to a Thai friend as a gift. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I realize how it works with guns, i watch a lot of US reality shows and one of them is north woods law. They really explain about hunting and shooting close to houses and roads. Once you realise how dangerous it is and that bullets go a long way you soon understand its not a good idea for people to have guns. Sure there are some responsible people but that is far from everyone. 

67 year old Canadian. Shooting since I was 7. Raised with them by my father, grandfathers and uncles as if guns are a normal part of life.

Took all kinds of firearms training growing up. Rifle, shotgun, pistol. Hunting, target shooting, competition shooting.

Owned all kind of guns. Never any problem. 

4 minutes ago, MiNombreEsFicticious said:

You can't. When you arrive, first you have to find out where the nearest gun show is. Then you go there and buy as many guns, rifles, AR-15s and armor piercing bullets as your rental car can hold. Welcome to America! 

Thats simply a bald faced lie from someone who has never attended a real gun show.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Catoni said:

It’s a SAK. Victorinix Swiss Army Knife. Not the small tiny model.

I’m going to be 68 years old in November. I’ve been carrying a knife of one type or another since I was a kid. Started shooting at the age of 7 with my father and grandfather. Had my first rifle at 12 years of age. My first hunting license at 16, my first hand gun at 21. 

In Canada of all places. Yes....I grew up and owned weapons legally in Canada. Hard to believe? 

Won a few trophies shooting Glock 17, 9mm in competition against police and military. 

I still carry at least a SAK....all these years. 

Are you so scared, you need a knife all the time?