Can foreigner on retirement visa apply for gun permit

haymanpl

13 minutes ago, Catoni said:

I guess you never heard of the cases of nut jobs breaking into schools and murdering some teachers and kids. 

How are you going to stop a mad man with a rifle at the school door with checking ? 

Do you expect him to calmly hand his rifle over? Remember, he came there to kill. 

He’ll just shoot his way in. 

Better hope you have a couple of teachers in the building well trained and carrying Glocks or similar. 

And it’s not always in the U.S. it’s happened in other countries also with lots of kids getting shot up in schools or on field trips. (Examples off the top of my head...Norway, Canada)

No need to use a gun, there are plenty of alternatives available for much less in DIY (hardware) shops... and they're a lot easier to explain away, even nailgun or machete.

If you like sport or culture/ornaments, crossbows and other mediaeval toys are possibly an option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krabi–krabong

Some people enjoy speargun fishing as a hobby.

Do people buy tasers for self-defence here?

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

There are many different systems that you could use like security systems for doors and windows that stop any intruder from entering, which is a lot better and safer than having a gun in the house. I used to be licenced and carry a Smith and Wesson .38 special for 10 years and then upgraded to a Gloc G19 gen 5 for 5 years until I retired from the industry. I have yet to see anyone be able to recognize anyone in the dark room, all you see is an outline and you cannot recognize them but you are willing to shoot that shadow. What if it is one of your children? What if some other member of the family gets their hands on the gun and plays with it until it fires and kills them? How many of you have looked along the top of the barrel at a human shadow and actually pulled that trigger knowing that you have just killed someone?

Damn you are like a reformed smoker ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CaptainNemo said:

No need to use a gun, there are plenty of alternatives available for much less in DIY (hardware) shops... and they're a lot easier to explain away, even nailgun or machete.

If you like sport or culture/ornaments, crossbows and other mediaeval toys are possibly an option.

Chainsaw? That puts a world of hurt on burgurgelers and porch pirates.

1 minute ago, CaptainNemo said:

I prefer a Bostitch  20 degree angle framing nail gun with  3 1/8" nails and at least 100 ft of air hose for enhanced mobility.

Why get close and personal with a knife. One could get all short of diseases from the blood splatter.     

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Listen pal, we were taught in Cubs, and more so in Scouts, to carry a multi-tool form of knife similar to a SAK and also in scouts we began carrying a fixed blade sheath knife. 

I’ve carried a Victorinox SAK ever since..(except on planes. I purchase another one when I land)...more than half a century. And I don’t apologize to anyone for doing so. 

Are you some kind of smart _ _ _?

I am not your pal, are you still a Scout? Did they tell you to use it on humans?

Edited by FritsSikkink

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I prefer a Bostitch  20 degree angle framing nail gun with  3 1/8" nails and at least 100 ft of air hose for enhanced mobility.

Why get close and personal with a knife. One could get all short of diseases from the blood splatter.     

"Go ahead. Frame my house!"

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

PAh you need  cordless so you can run down the road  after them I gotta me one of these, still got the last robber nailed to the fence 400 metres  away.

51BgzBstraL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Apparently there’s lots of successful self defense shootings by law-abiding gun owners in the U.S.  but most of the mainstream media ignore those defensive shootings, or else bury the story half way through the paper in a small half column article to keep it quiet. 

They want to report only the bad criminal shootings and blame it on the gun...   

Not true there have only been approx. 20 of these defensive shootings in the last 5 years and were covered by the media, Unfortunately a couple of warriors on this thread are having Walter Mitty syndrome.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chazar said:

PAh you need  cordless so you can run down the road  after them I gotta me one of these, still got the last robber nailed to the fence 400 metres  away.

51BgzBstraL._AC_SY400_.jpg

You Young kids with your long hair , your rock and roll and new fangled godless contraptions!! Baaa Humbug 

21 hours ago, haymanpl said:

Why is it so bias in favor of Thais?

So Thai's can have guns to protect themselves but foreigners who live here permanently cannot?

I bristle at dual pricing however....In all countries citizens have rights that none-citizens do not have. Thailand, in this regard, is in the mainstream.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why do you choose to settle in a country where you feel so unsafe that you need to carry a gun? I am probably stupid, but I thought the whole idea with moving abroad was to get away from problems and get a better life.

I recently had a FB exchange with a retiree in the US referring to stores banning guns on the property. I told him I was sorry that Americans seem to now live in a country where they feel the need to carry firearms. Oh, off-the-record I am a citizen of the US and have been a gun owner holding a CDWL. Too many in my country are over the edge....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Are you smoking funny green stuff??

You said, quote:

“Honestly guns scare me to the point of even realizing that if you shoot, that bullet is going more than 10 yards.“

So what were you doing with all those firearms then huh? 

I wouldn’t expect a person so scared of guns that he has owned or owns them and had so much to do with them. 

My point was well trained law-abiding citizens are a hell of a lot safer with firearms than criminal with guns and no firearms training. 

You’re quite free to disagree if you wish. 

Scared = It means I respect firearms and think before I use them. It is like you don't point one at anyone even unloaded or walk with it pointed down at your foot, or even after picking up one not to first checking the chamber with safety on.. 

No, I do agree training and knowledge of firearms is essential, but I just don't think the majority of Thai people are up to it to be legally able to have them. For foreigners having them here, I actually have no problem with that if they are trained and if the country allowed.

14 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Totally incorrect. But if my wife had had a gun at the time, then undoubtedly, I'd have used it to protect myself and my family. The intruder was there possibly to do us harm not to tell us we'd left the porch light on. Do you think the intruder was not armed? So go take your smug reply and...…………….whatever.

Don't be a fool. You muast be a Yank. Your gun must be securely locked. Not under your bloody pillow. Even if you do manage to poitn your weapon at an intruder, you will most likely be shot to death. You and your wife and kids. Hopefeully YOU as well, as you will not be able to livel with yourself if they are murdered. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 7:00 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

Said by someone who has never been woken in the middle of the night with an intruder in his bedroom. Have I? Yes.

I have a Malinous (Belgium shepparddog) running around and sleeping in my bedroom. Believe me, nobody will try to even get on my property without guidance. Works better then a gun.

• Like 1