The getting old curse – How are you dealing with it?

tomgreen

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Crock, the most unattractive type of footwear irrespective of practicality

Hardly going look good if you need to wear trousers and jacket though ????

I never wear trousers, only shorts and T shirt. If it's cold I put on a fleece jacket, but mainly only T shirt. If I had to wear trousers to go somewhere I wouldn't go.

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, what do they call those ladies undies that are just a bit of cloth at the front and it's held on with a couple of bits of elastic?

Perhaps Aussie sheilas only wear granny pants 55555555555555555.

I will allow you to pontificate on women's underwear, I am sure you have more knowledge on those matters

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree that if one doesn't use it one loses it. I realised I couldn't put shoes on, so I had to start bending every day till I could. Now I use Crocks, so never have to bend to put them on- brilliant.

So instead of exercising by bending everyday  so you had the ability to tie  your shoes you took the easy/lazy way out  by just  finding something  you could slip into.  Now you have limited mobiliy and had to find a workaround for the disability. Sometimes after a hard workout or simply sitting not moving for awhile I may find discomfort/slight pain  just to bend over to wash my face at a basin but I keep on and work thru it so that it doesn't become a permanant condition where I could only wash in a shower.

14 hours ago, Tony125 said:

So instead of exercising by bending everyday  so you had the ability to tie  your shoes you took the easy/lazy way out  by just  finding something  you could slip into.  Now you have limited mobiliy and had to find a workaround for the disability. Sometimes after a hard workout or simply sitting not moving for awhile I may find discomfort/slight pain  just to bend over to wash my face at a basin but I keep on and work thru it so that it doesn't become a permanant condition where I could only wash in a shower.

Absolutely. At my age anything is better than doing boring exercises, even wobbling on TVF.

However, next year I'll be shoveling a few tons of dirt by hand, so not exactly doing nothing physical in my life.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Absolutely. At my age anything is better than doing boring exercises, even wobbling on TVF.

However, next year I'll be shoveling a few tons of dirt by hand, so not exactly doing nothing physical in my life.

If you think after a long time of not doing exercise or physical exersion/work your going to start shoveling dirt again like a young buck you are in for a rude awakening. You  say "at my age" im not doing boring exercise --your only a few years older than me and you agreed that if you don't use it you lose it.  Shoveling dirt is an extrteem workout and if you have not stayed in shape and you push it you will wake up unable to move due to the sweeling and inflamation caused by overexsertion to your muscles ,joints. At 77 living a sedentary life that you can no longer bend over to tie your shoes you think your going to bend over and shovel tons of dirt ? You can blow out your rotator cuffs, damage/strain back wrists or heart.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope your "core" is in reasonable condition and shoulders may also need some build up before continuously shovelling tons of dirt by hand, not to mention your hip flexors.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do what most Thai,s do, hire some one from  Myanmar

17 hours ago, Tony125 said:

If you think after a long time of not doing exercise or physical exersion/work your going to start shoveling dirt again like a young buck you are in for a rude awakening. You  say "at my age" im not doing boring exercise --your only a few years older than me and you agreed that if you don't use it you lose it.  Shoveling dirt is an extrteem workout and if you have not stayed in shape and you push it you will wake up unable to move due to the sweeling and inflamation caused by overexsertion to your muscles ,joints. At 77 living a sedentary life that you can no longer bend over to tie your shoes you think your going to bend over and shovel tons of dirt ? You can blow out your rotator cuffs, damage/strain back wrists or heart.

Jai yen jai yen. I shovel dirt all the time, build stuff all the time, help with the shearing etc. I just can't bend over enough to do up shoe laces and can't be bothered doing the stretches to be able to do so.

The only thing different about this load of dirt is that it's a lot more than usual, and will take me a few weeks to complete the project.

However, in LOS my last year, it's true I did almost no physical work at all, except walking up stairs to my hotel room, and helping the maid make my bed. I've been back in the world over a year now, doing stuff.

17 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I hope your "core" is in reasonable condition and shoulders may also need some build up before continuously shovelling tons of dirt by hand, not to mention your hip flexors.

See my reply to Tony.

Since I've been back home I've shoveled several tons of dirt, but this project is going to be the biggest and take longer to complete than previously.

I actually ask the farmer for physical projects to do, specifically to keep reasonably fit, as I refuse to join a gym and pay to do the same thing as I do at the farm. Fencing with a spade and rammer is hard work, which is why most farmers use a machine now.

Archived