The getting old curse – How are you dealing with it?

tomgreen

7 hours ago, uhuh said:

Full size aspirin doesn't thin the blood.  81mg or 100mg does, full size is 500mg and does not thin the blood. 

But anyway,  aspirin doesn't help against deep vein thrombosis (that's the risk on flights). You should take an subcutaneous injection of clexane or a similar low molecule weight heparin,  or you should take a tablet of xarelto or a similar oral anticoagulant.

First parts not very accurate.

Aspirin does help prevent a DVT.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/safe-daily-use-aspirin/using-aspirin-lower-your-risk-heart-attack-or-stroke-what-you-should-know

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_dvt-pe-prophylaxis.asp

Unless one is at risk of DVT, I doubt you'd get a doctor to prescribe a prophylactic dose of Clexane or other anticoagulants.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, faraday said:

Nursing homes in the UK are violently expensive, & most of the 'nurses' are just assistants - although I'm not demeaning them, & perhaps they don't have the dedication that NHS trained staff do...

In NZ most staff are apparently paid minimum wage, which means most are untrained. They'll have one registered nurse a shift to give the meds etc, but few registered nurses want to work in those places.

It's nothing to do with dedication- it's that few people want to work with old people unless they have no other option. The ones that do, probably do their best, but it's hard when there are not enough staff to do more than the basics, which is why patients get parked in front of daytime tv.

To employ more staff would require paying proper wages= less profit for the owners.

You have to let go of what you were. Death is as natural as birth and we all have to come to terms with that. Focus on the positive aspects of your life.

As for me, I'm 64 and in good health. I run 3-4k a day with my dog and have always been active. I believe you are as old as you feel, and while I know I will eventually become old and decrepit, I have had an awesome life and done everything I wanted to do. I live for the moment and that works for me.

18 hours ago, Tim K said:

From an ancient chinese book, I-Ching
Hexagram 30, line 3.

Siu: The man reaches his declining years and recalls the transitoriness of life. Instead of enjoying the ordinary pleasures while they last, he groans in melancholy.

Wing: The best attitude to cultivate at this time in your life is a general acceptance of fate. To totally lose yourself in the happiness of the moment is as bad as to bemoan the passing of time. Such folly of the mind and the emotions leads to a loss of inner freedom. Misfortune.

"Religion is the opiate of the people..."  And in truth, getting old sucks.  There is nothing, but nothing worse, to my mind, than slowly losing one's own beloved body.

17 hours ago, faraday said:

First parts not very accurate.

Aspirin does help prevent a DVT.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/safe-daily-use-aspirin/using-aspirin-lower-your-risk-heart-attack-or-stroke-what-you-should-know

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_dvt-pe-prophylaxis.asp

Unless one is at risk of DVT, I doubt you'd get a doctor to prescribe a prophylactic dose of Clexane or other anticoagulants.

First part was accurate: full size aspirin, i.e. 500mg, does not thin the blood. Those who use aspirin as prevention of DVT use various dosages,  max. 325 mg (like HSS does).

I must admit that aspirin does help prevent DVT, especially after certain types of surgery (in other circumstances it has hardly been researched).

It is not as effective as Clexane and other low-molecular heparin or Xarelto etc. Therefore,  most consensus recommendations do not recommend aspirin for DVT prophylaxis. 

It is no problem at all to get a doctor to prescribe Clexane etc for DVT prophylaxis on a long-haul flight if you are old and/or have other risk factors. I can speak for Thai doctors and doctors in Western Europe,  don't know about Americans or Australians. 

On 9/23/2019 at 8:27 AM, geronimo said:

You have to let go of what you were. Death is as natural as birth and we all have to come to terms with that. Focus on the positive aspects of your life.

As for me, I'm 64 and in good health. I run 3-4k a day with my dog and have always been active. I believe you are as old as you feel, and while I know I will eventually become old and decrepit, I have had an awesome life and done everything I wanted to do. I live for the moment and that works for me.

I don't care about the death part.  What I care about is what leads up to it.  I like being able to run ten miles plus just for the sheer joy of it.  I like being able to have an eternal erection.  I like being brilliant too.  All that's out the window now.  I feel like an old cat, sitting around with its eyes half closed, its chin wet with spit, always on the verge of upchucking something.  Bloody horrible that. 

On 9/15/2019 at 11:59 PM, yogi100 said:

What about if you've packed up smoking! Having a puff of weed might get you back on the fags again.

It took me nearly 6 months to pack up and that was with the help of Champix. I really swear by Champix tablets, I'd never have quit without them.

You don't need tobacco to consume it

If you really want to have your eyes opened to the current science of aging, I suggest you check out the research of Harvard University's Sinclair Research Lab, headed up by Dr. David Sinclair, internationally renowned Professor in the Department of Genetics and co-Director of the Paul F. Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging at Harvard Medical School.

The premise of their radical research is that the pace of aging is not inexorable or predetermined, but rather can be slowed and even reversed by a variety of approaches. These include activating the body’s defenses against aging, deleting senescent cells, and reprogramming cells.

Unlike a lot of research, their work is not merely theoretical with lofty promises of real world applications far into the future.  Rather, in many areas of their research they are on the verge of major breakthroughs which will radically alter the course of aging as we know it today.  It's truly exciting work that they are doing.

What's more, Dr. Sinclair is very prolific at sharing his insights with the public, and is a gifted speaker.  If you google his name you'll find many talks, interviews, and papers that are a perfect blend of hard science delivered in a way that almost anyone can understand, and appreciate the significance of what's being discussed.

His research has been primarily focused on the sirtuins, protein-modifying enzymes that respond to changing NAD+ levels and to caloric restriction (CR) with associated interests in chromatin, energy metabolism, mitochondria, learning and memory, neurodegeneration, and cancer.

The Sinclair lab was the first one to identify a role for NAD+ biosynthesis in regulation of lifespan and first showed that sirtuins are involved in CR in mammals. They first identified small molecules that activate SIRT1 such as resveratrol and studied how they improve metabolic function using a combination of genetic, enzymological, biophysical and pharmacological approaches.

They recently showed that natural and synthetic activators require SIRT1 to mediate the in vivo effects in muscle and identified a structured activation domain. They demonstrated that miscommunication between the mitochondrial and nuclear genomes is a cause of age-related physiological decline and that relocalization of chromatin factors in response to DNA breaks may be a cause of aging.

Some of the areas of their research include:

• Exploring whether aging involves loss of digital or analog information? And whether epigenetic noise is the reason we age?
  • Reprogramming cells to be young again

• Developing drugs that slow aging

• Understanding the role of mitochondria in aging and disease

• Delaying menopause and reversing female infertility

• Whether we can slow down or even reverse neurodegenerative diseases

• Uncovering the human secretome

Some of their current research has real-world relevance today for anyone concerned about their own aging; things you can do right now to improve quality of life as we age.

If you are seriously interested in the REAL underlying science of aging, and what you can do right now to minimize or even reverse certain negative aspects of aging, you really should be aware of what they are doing!

For me, their research into caloric restriction (CR) and the role of mitochondria in aging and disease is incredibly fascinating.  For instance, they discovered that Metformin (a drug used for patients that are pre-diabetic) also has the ability to significantly increase the number of healthy fully functioning mitochondria.  They were also responsible in part for discovered the existence of "brown fat", and its' significance to health, most notably, the role it plays in mitochondrial functioning.  

Anyway, if you are interested in the actual science of aging, as opposed to the guru-speak of aging, you should check out the work of the SInclair Lab:

https://genetics.med.harvard.edu/sinclair-test/

TIP TIME: Use a chair for exercises that require balance like high knees, drinking birds and lunges, or use it to help you get up and down between exercises!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
There’s no shame in modifying or needing the extra support, so don’t let it stop you from getting an awesome workout!

Image may contain: 1 person

Teachings of a Rōnin -Most of us live life with the mindset of immortality and usually often behave as if we will live forever. The reality is that no sunrise promises a sunset. Every single day people wake up, fully expecting to be here tomorrow, but never make it to the end of today. It’s for this reason that we must appreciate each day and live in the moment. This is not saying to live life recklessly or abandon your plans and goals for the future, but it does mean we shouldn’t sacrifice everything in the present for a future that may never arrive. I truly try to live by these teaching daily- as I try to apply this precept by remembering to enjoy the journey and not become obsessed by the destination. My goal isn’t to amass possessions or wealth for my older age, but rather experience as much as I possibly can now and throughout all of my life. If I have my choice, I rather amass experience over goods of fiefs for my older age. We can’t take possessions with us when we die, so I’d rather have enriching experiences and fulfilling relationships over possessions any day

On 9/15/2019 at 12:09 PM, Rookiescot said:

Mate its inevitable. You cant avoid it.

My advice is you pick something you really would find fulfilling and make that your goal. That way when we all shuffle off at least you can say "I did it my way".

Apologies if I just planted  Frank Sinatra into your head ???? 

Regrets,i,'vehad a few,but then again too many to mention.

7 hours ago, kingdong said:

Regrets,i,'vehad a few,but then again too many to mention.

Indeed. I have many regrets, but only because I didn't just follow the usual boring path that most do- school, job, pub, marriage, kids, divorce, rest home, death.

I went out into the world, had adventures, lived in exotic lands, etc. Perhaps regrets are an inevitable part of a life less usual, but some of it did seem to be caused by an excessive amount of bad luck. I certainly seemed to end up with some especially evil people in control of my life, and unless a majority of managers are evil, it seems unlucky that I ended up with them, rather than good ones. Not to say all my managers were evil pond scum sucking filth ( some were great ), but there are a lot of very bad ones out there.

Now, at the end of my life, I have reached some equilibrium, where mostly I control my life, though renting is something I'd change if I could.

I still have many regrets, but about the places I never went, the adventures I'll never have.

I wonder if the Mars expedition will take old men? It is, after all, going to be an expedition of no return. Go out in a blaze of glory- seems like a good ending.

Ahhh yes...evil managers. I've known one, very successful, but a complete bashtard. Whereas a Scouse boss I had was soo funny, but steered me in the right direction.

Were you a Nurse in the NHS, TBL...?

Life is certainly a  mixture of good/bad/indifferent. Some of its luck, some chance & some 'right place right time'.

I do find myself these days, going through my whole life, piece by piece, & it's evoked some lovely memories.

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Were you a Nurse in the NHS, TBL...?

I was indeed. I was an agency nurse to start with, and worked on different wards every time. First thing I did was check what nationality the charge nurse was, as if it was an English female I knew I was probably in for a bad time. One or two were OK, but not usually.

When I got a permanent job in a London hospital I didn't have to worry about the English nurses as almost everyone was foreign, but some of them were just as bad. I loved the job, but the bullying from management made me so ill I had to retire early. Nursing is notorious for bullying whatever country it is in. Who said that women were kind and caring?

NB I'm not saying that all English nurses were horrible- some were lovely. However, I worked with very few English nurses as most nurses in London seem to be foreign- I guess English women don't want to be nurses any more, which is understandable given what a <deleted> job it is, coupled with the bullying and low pay.

5 minutes ago, Nemises said:

What about these pics of “Mary Ann” and “Jeannie”? Massively airbrushed?

I'm talking about Raquel Welch, never mentioned anyone else. This pic is probably a bit more realistic and you can see she's had a massive amount of surgery.

Raquel-Welch.jpg

31 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Crikey you’re right. Some serious airbrushing going on here! You got a recent (non airbrushed) one of “Mary Ann”?

Here's one of Ginger from Gillighans Island, reckon she's aged well?  Dawn Wells doesn't look too bad.

Ginger.jpg

Dawn Wells.jpg

Archived