Jump to content

The getting old curse – How are you dealing with it?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a start I avoid mirrors at all costs, but I also try not to think about death being just around the corner, it's inevitable anyway and can only cause major depression if you become too fixated on

i stay with people who have a younger mind set. i had to tell a lifelong friend to stop with the old folks jokes because they don't apply to me.   i am 64 and go dancing in clubs in Bangkok

I fire up a bowl, take a walk, take some pics, eat a steak or something good and then go to a GoGo/Mixx/Thermae after taking my meds. That way if I dont wake up the next morning, I had a good time the

Posted Images

12 hours ago, tomgreen said:

 

 

 So how about you - do you feel that if you had remained back in your home country and not moved to Thailand , that in some way if you had not moved here you would now be in a better state of mind and possibly looking physically better than you do now residing in Thailand .

 

 

 

.

No way Jose. I would be bored and depressed in Australia, deprived of accommodating female company, and dining off bowl noodles.

Physically, I am 90 - 92 kg here. I balloon out to 100kg after any length of time in Oz. Play golf and swim. I'd have to take out loans to play golf in Oz.

Yes, Thailand is corrupt. I'd still much rather spend my retirement funds here, than give them to the sanctimonious weasels in charge in Oz.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Tom, given all the positives you state you possess then perhaps your "depression" itself needs some investigation as a possible clinical state?

Thats a good point , I’m fairly sure that my thoughts about getting old and my getting stressed out at the drop of a hat are some what related . I am currently seeking counseling for the problem.   Funnily when I now watch any very old films I keep thinking to my self all these actors are dead and then that thought seems to trigger my thoughts about getting old and dying 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tomgreen said:

Thats a good point , I’m fairly sure that my thoughts about getting old and my getting stressed out at the drop of a hat are some what related . I am currently seeking counseling for the problem.   Funnily when I now watch any very old films I keep thinking to my self all these actors are dead and then that thought seems to trigger my thoughts about getting old and dying 🙄

I would suggest that you keep busy, find activities to do daily, find chores to attend to, go to the cinema, go to see friends, start a hobby you've always liked, it's just a matter of not having any time to think about being old.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Although my Thai wife speaks fairly good English I have not really talked to her much about my thoughts on getting old / the downward slope . But on the odd occasions when I have brought up the subject, her reaction like many times is to say , you think too much . I then reply that us British are born thinkers and forward planners and its some thing I can’t stop doing , its just a genetic curse 🌝 

 

Some times I wonder what it would have been like to have been born a Thai , where thinking too much and constantly planning ahead and worrying appears not to be part of their normal brain function . My wife also loves to use to use a phrase at the drop of a hat  ( that tends to infuriate me ) and that is ….  My pen rai 🤪

 

In your opinion how much does you wife / partners support and understanding play in your attempt to stay positive about getting old .  

 

 

 

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, KKr said:

suggest you better clarify who can make the demand 😛 .

Seriously? Obviously it's the person wanting the pill, and also with an end of life directive in case of being unable to ask due to disease or accident. I have a do not resuscitate order that everyone that needs to know is aware of, but at the moment they won't actually kill me if I am in a coma- I want that to change.

All good though- when had enough, have a big goodbye party, spend all the money and take the pill.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I would suggest that you keep busy, find activities to do daily, find chores to attend to, go to the cinema, go to see friends, start a hobby you've always liked, it's just a matter of not having any time to think about being old.

That's why I like my DVDs. When I'm watching them I'm not thinking about my life. It's not good to think too much when the die is cast and unchangeable.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

No way Jose. I would be bored and depressed in Australia, deprived of accommodating female company, and dining off bowl noodles.

Physically, I am 90 - 92 kg here. I balloon out to 100kg after any length of time in Oz. Play golf and swim. I'd have to take out loans to play golf in Oz.

Yes, Thailand is corrupt. I'd still much rather spend my retirement funds here, than give them to the sanctimonious weasels in charge in Oz.

WELL SAID.

Anyone that says a western country is better than LOS is obviously past wanting to play with lovely girls.

Girls where I am only look disdainfully at me because they are ageist. In LOS they are friendly- even if it's only the money, it sure beats going to bed alone every night.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I would suggest that you keep busy, find activities to do daily, find chores to attend to, go to the cinema, go to see friends, start a hobby you've always liked, it's just a matter of not having any time to think about being old.

Thanks for the advice , I do try and keep busy and have a few hobby's but I made the mistake of building my house in a fairly rural location and its a 140km round trip to the nearest large city so going to the cinema or other activities other than rural country side one’s  are not an easy daily option.  

 

Add to that where I live there are very few foreigners around and the ones that I come across locally , seem to want to keep themselves to themselves . So most of my friends are online friends.

 

 

 

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...