The getting old curse – How are you dealing with it?

tomgreen

78, still mobile and brain seems to work ok most of the time. Happily married to my Thai wife, 65, for 35 years. Main worry is who will care for our cats and dogs should we both expire. I have to fight against worrying about that and all the other usual ageing issues every day, and so far just about winning but very much aware that time is running out. I try just to take things day by day and occupy myself with exercise, tv news, word games and some exercise.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An old physician, Doctor Gordon Geezer   , became very bored in retirement and decided to re-open a medical clinic.  

He put a sign up outside that said: "   Dr. Geezer's Clinic   . Get your     treatment for $500 - if not cured, get back $1,000."   

Doctor Digger Young   , who was positive that this old geezer didn't know beans about medicine, thought this would be a great opportunity to get $1,000. So he went to Dr. Geezer's   clinic.  

Dr Young   : "   Dr. Geezer   , I have lost all taste in my mouth. Can you please help me?"  

Dr Geezer   : "Nurse, please bring medicine from the box 22 and put 3 drops in Dr. Young's   mouth."     

Dr Young   : 'Aaagh! -- This is Gasoline!"  

Dr Geezer   : "   Congratulations   !  
You've got your taste back. That will be $500."

Dr Young   gets annoyed and goes back after a couple of days figuring to recover his money.  

Dr Young   : "I have lost my memory, I cannot remember anything."

Dr Geezer   : "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in the patient's mouth."   

Dr Young   : "Oh, no you don't -- that is Gasoline!"   

Dr Geezer   : "   Congratulations ! You've got your memory back. That will be $500."  

Dr Young   (after having lost $1000) leaves angrily and comes back after several more days.  

Dr Young   : "My eyesight has become weak --- I can hardly see anything!"   

Dr Geezer   : "Well, I don't have any medicine for that so, "Here's your $1000 back" (giving him a $10 bill).  

Dr Young   : "But this is only $10!"   

Dr Geezer   : "   Congratulations ! You got your vision back! That will be $500."   

*   Moral of story   * -- Just because you're "Young" doesn't mean that you can outsmart an "old Geezer” 

*Remember:* Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to annoy us.

ENJOY YOUR DAY   !!!  

P.S. Written in large print for old   Geezers

5 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Soalbundy:  Congratulations!  You have reached what Jon Kabat Zinn describes as one of the objectives of mindfulness.  I am able to do that sometimes.  I feel victorious when I am able to remain calm during the racket that occurs at my coffee shop while I am reading and writing.  Sometimes I can’t maintain sufficient detachment and just have to leave.  I have taken many meditation courses but can’t seem to get my mind in the right place.  My daughter suggested a new course by Kabat Zinn on soundstrue so I paid my $97.00 and signed up.  I hope that I will be able to obtain a little more mindfulness after taking it.

So far as the discomforts of old age, I try to accept them and face them directly.  I believe that doing that helps me.

You don't have to take courses, simple breathing exercises stop you thinking, breath in counting 'one' breath out counting 'two' up to ten and then start from one again if you concentrate on breath you can't 'think', of course the mind doesn't like not thinking so you are always prodded by the mind and you go off on a tangent but you can always pull yourself back. Do that enough and you can leave the counting and just observe without using concepts, "that isn't a tree, it just is" etc. it's very relaxing.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Life span has been the same for the last 3,000 years.

(If you exclude infant mortality, war and accidents)

It may have been if there was no disease, better nutrition, better hygiene etc, but we have no way of knowing do we?

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

We also live longer because a lot of fatal diseases have been eradicated and hygiene and nutrition has improved.

i'll go along with disease eradication and hygiene but it has been found that the hunter gatherer societies had a healthier diet than we do today in fact when farming was first introduced the diets were no longer so healthy and mortality rose, man was on a treadmill, abundant crops meant larger families which meant more work in bigger fields and when the wild life was diminished through over hunting and the wild fruits were all picked they started to domesticate animals and live with them which caused people to start having all sorts of parasitic illnesses. They could also no longer up sticks when the environment changed for the worse, too many children, too much property to carry around, too much investment in the dwellings to leave.

I might soon hit the magic 60 in May, and I have similar thoughts in my brain.

It hurts when 40-year-olds call you Lung! But don't you worry, many others didn't make it, and you should be positive about it.

Be surrounded by positive thinking people and not by guys who always tell you how bad it is to get older. Do some exercises and eat healthy food.

Older people are often ( not always) much wiser and know what they shouldn't do.

I guess you're one of them by reading your post.

My sister had a cancer group for 25 years, and what she told me was very frightening kids with cancer who finally passed away being alone.

Be happy when you're healthy and see each day as a present.

There are people out there who believe that they have to help others, not even thinking about themselves. If you're one of them put yourself on the top of the list, without being selfish.

Don't waste your time with idiots, unfortunately, are there way too many. Enjoy a good glass of wine from time to time and travel around if you can afford it.

Listen to your favorite music, some songs produce pure Adrenaline.

And don't forget to smile, and realize that it could be much worse.

Best of luck...

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

Listen to your favorite music, some songs produce pure Adrenaline. 

Just watched a doco called Yacht Rock, a title given to a lot of the music from the 70's and 80's, bands like Steely Dan, Hall & Oates, The Doobie Brothers, Boz Scaggs etc, and I realised just how good that music was, very laid back, lush productions, and great melodies. Made me want to start a mp3 compilation of all that music to take me back to those great times.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not necessarily. I'm sure I'd much prefer to die younger than to live longer, bedridden and incontinent.

Even bedridden and incontinent, I can read, listen to music, smoke a joint. I'll take that over dead any day of the week. Now, severe, unremitting pain, as with cancer, that's a different kettle of fish altogether. That's no longer living.

Just now, GalaxyMan said:

Even bedridden and incontinent, I can read, listen to music, smoke a joint. I'll take that over dead any day of the week. Now, severe, unremitting pain, as with cancer, that's a different kettle of fish altogether. That's no longer living.

You think bed sores and having someone change your nappies is living?

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Just watched a doco called Yacht Rock, a title given to a lot of the music from the 70's and 80's, bands like Steely Dan, Hall & Oates, The Doobie Brothers, Boz Scaggs etc, and I realised just how good that music was, very laid back, lush productions, and great melodies. Made me want to start a mp3 compilation of all that music to take me back to those great times.

Why don't you do that?

P.S. Nobody else than you had experienced that stuff that comes to your mind when you hear that music. 

Just now, GalaxyMan said:

I'll take it over dead any day of the week. I'm not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of not living. I LOVE life! ????

Sorry, I don't see that as living, being dependent on others to feed me, bathe me, and change my diapers. At least when you were a baby you didn't know any different.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Sorry, I don't see that as living, being dependent on others to feed me, bathe me, and change my diapers. At least when you were a baby you didn't know any different.

Sounds like a lot of ego. I don't have that problem. We're all dependent on someone for something to some degree all our lives. Each to their own. I hope you live 1,000 years. ???? I hope I do, too.

4 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Sounds like a lot of ego. I don't have that problem. We're all dependent of someone for something to some degree all our lives. Each to their own. I hope you live 1,000 years. ???? I hope I do, too.

Hell, no! Who'd like to see all friends and relatives dying?

And perhaps live on Jupiter because this planet is too fragged up?

As I have said before, about other topics, we are all different. As far as ageing is concerned, yes there is a general physiological change where blood, cells etc do change but there are so many other contributing factors that's it's almost impossible to say whether one will have a long life. There are athletes that have lived long lives and yet some that have died young; Some people have a worry free life but die at 70 while there are (or have been) war (WW) veterans alive in their 90's.

If you are really thinking about it too much then you are missing out on life; there is whole lot 'out there' to learn about, whether it's scientific, historic, nature etc. etc. etc. there must be something that will keep you interested and stop you thinking about death.

OP, getting old is not a curse. It's not getting old that's the curse.
About 60 million people die every year so you're not alone.

Is age a number" Well, yes it is but you can't put a number on attitude.

At 75, I feel like I'm still struggling with puberty.

Started riding a motorcycle at 72. Damn that's a lot of fun.
All my hobbies and other interests make every day a darn good day.

My health is astonishingly excellent. Must be the genes.

Am I fortunate? Yes I am because most of my long time friends are "old". No fun to be around any more.

My best friend and I have been friends for 70 years and he loves coming to visit me two or three times a year.

We have a blast. I am fortunate to have him in my life.

And my lady is a sweetie. I am again, very fortunate.

So my ramblings, OP are simply to say, you are focused on all the wrong things.
Live your life as if today is your last day.

Nobody gets out of here alive.

1 hour ago, GalaxyMan said:

Sounds like a lot of ego. I don't have that problem. We're all dependent on someone for something to some degree all our lives. Each to their own. I hope you live 1,000 years. ???? I hope I do, too.

Get real, there's a big difference between depending on some of the necessities of life like electricity and water, than someone wiping your <deleted> and hand feeding you, and I'd rather be accused of having an ego than dependent on someone for my every need, basically a parasite.

Live by the day, say every morning thank you wen you wake up and enjoy the day.

Don`t make plans for tomorrow or the next week Its always what the Thai people say

Tomorrow never comes 

even wen you are 30 or 90 you don`t know enjoy your life by the day.

tenor (4).gif

On 9/15/2019 at 1:22 PM, NCC1701A said:

i stay with people who have a younger mind set. i had to tell a lifelong friend to stop with the old folks jokes because they don't apply to me.

i am 64 and go dancing in clubs in Bangkok and all my girlfriends are half my age and that really helps. 

motorcycle trip all over Thailand coming up oct, nov dec.

if you don't like my illusion or delusion please keep it to yourself.

I was like you at 64. Now I'm on the point of reaching 68. Many things have changed , horror the better, in those 3 short years, whatever I try to tell myself. I lost 10 kilos in 4 months this year and that helped. I take more exercise out of the bedroom and less in it it seems, Maybe I should get an electric razor so I don't have to look at myself in the mirror to shave!!

On 9/15/2019 at 1:22 PM, NCC1701A said:

i stay with people who have a younger mind set. i had to tell a lifelong friend to stop with the old folks jokes because they don't apply to me.

i am 64 and go dancing in clubs in Bangkok and all my girlfriends are half my age and that really helps. 

motorcycle trip all over Thailand coming up oct, nov dec.

if you don't like my illusion or delusion please keep it to yourself.

Fully agree.

OP @tomgreen you should mingle with younger folks, and forget your age, and enjoy all the years ahead of you.

I just turned the 70-corner hardly two month ago, and just like NCC1701A, I go dancing in the clubs on the party island I live; my steady girlfriend was half my age when I was same age as NCC1701 – unfortunately she seem to grow older, however still as lovely as then, and she don't mind I'm attracted by younger girls – and most of the people I mingle with locally are so much younger than me that they technically could be my child.

I know it works, from my parents. They played tennis, and they forgot to stop. However, their double partners were getting slower and slower, so it ended up being the double partner's sons playing with my parent, as they could keep up with the speed. And in a way, they – the younger tennis partners – were probably a major part of my parent's longevity, especially my father that continued playing tennis after he turner the 100-corner.

When we reach 70 – or just "get older" at 64...???? – some friends begin to disappear. Thinking too much about getting old; that friends are dying; that my body begin to change; calculating numbers of years ahead if I only reach the age of (?); it's all a way towards depression and loosing, not only some great years, but perhaps even the best year.

Before many people retired at the age of 70 – my father did – after a long work life, perhaps 40, or 50 years, in the same company, the next section began: the otium. Now it's time to enjoy life, to enjoy all that one worker for during so many years, and often even savedup to enjoy. Today many folks retire in their 60'ies, or even an early retirement (like myself), the otium could be another 30-years, or many more.

Today we statistically even live longer than before, so 70 is not old, it's just a number, and a turning point for yet another great year in front of you, one of many more wonderful years to come.

Enjoy life, and if you don't have something you enjoy, then find something to enjoy, it's never too late to begin. When I was young, my mother told me about Grandma Moses. She was an American folk artist, and she began painting in earnest at the age of 78, and is often cited as an example of an individual who successfully began a career in the arts at an advanced age.

I've just bought brushes and colors, I always wanted to paint, but could never find the time. And if I don't find the time now, I hope the colors can last till I'm 78.

I also bought a big camera some years ago and began to take photos. I gave (uploaded) some to Wikipedia Commons, and gladly see that some of my contributions have been used, not only in the encyclopedia, but by news media and newspapers around the World, including Thai "Khaosod", and in some published books, and various Internet sites. Yes, I could begin something new, and I'm getting better, a little better, all the time.

It doesn't matter what you do, just you like to do it. That keeps you busy, and you forget your age, even there might be some things we begin to do little different when turning sharp corners like 16, 17 and 18 – ops, 60, 70 and 80.

By the way, I never danced, when I was young, so I was ages of dancing behind, but began hitting the floor in my mid 50'ies. Again the "getting better"-thing, and as I couldn't dance I found my own style, like forming the music with hands, arms, and body – a bit like some conductors does – and found that both "dance" and "tech-dance" are inspiring great music to dance to, my way. I upgraded myself from floor to stage – many clubs have dance podiums or a stage – and it ended up with the kinds in their 20'ies try to copy my style, and even ask "the old raver" to teach them to dance...????

So no matter what you do to enjoy – motorcycle trips, dance, paint, take photos, play tennis, or... – you are almost never too old, and there's always a future waiting...????????

By the way, someone said: »We don't stop dancing because we grow old - we grow old because we stop dancing.«

Other cool teasers:
»The idea is to "die young"... as late as possible.« (An extremely old lady posing as happy dancer)

»A man is only as old as the woman he feels.« (Graucho Marx)

»I never think of growing older, I barely think of growing up!« (Elisabeth Taylor)

????

I am almost 66 and starting to feel the various aches and pains that come with age, especially my feet. ????

Apparently I look younger than my age, but I don't think that will last long. My 24 year old Thai partner tells me I am starting to look old and should do more exercise. We have lived together more than 4 years and she definitely makes me feel younger. If not for her I might be in an old age home by now. Love my little fountain of youth. ????

I play World of Warcraft online most days and that definitely keeps my mind active due to all the fast action and difficult challenges. Been playing more than 13 years so I think that may have kept my mind from deteriorating too much, although I am starting to forget things... hang on... what was this topic about again?

Archived