The getting old curse – How are you dealing with it?

tomgreen

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

How awful it would be if you knew the way and the time it would actually happen? At 70, you can believe you will live to a 100 and therefore have nearly 50% of your life still to come! Yes, you will become weaker and maybe suffer some ill health along the way but there are many much younger people (including a few on this forum) for whom being weak and unhealthy are facts of life for them now and are concerned about dying sooner as well!

For me, I have my moments when I fear dying - but not of death itself! I am not depressed and believe I can avoid an even earlier death by not thinking so much and creating stress about a very much unknown quantity. If I can go to bed one night and never wake up, that is my preferred way out.

You wouldn't be human if you didn't think this way from time to time but one of the best ways of thinking in a certain way is to find as many distractions as possible: your loved ones, your activities, your plans, whatever they are or could be. Somebody suggested you make a plan to do some things you really would like to do.

Not a wish list but a To Do List!!

Don't die your death while you still have your life!

A Bucket List.

I got to the last Item on my Bucket List, Retire in Thailand.

Now making a New Bucket List, Item one "Plan B"

On 11/2/2019 at 2:43 PM, emptypockets said:

Let me get this straight...you were 62 and your partner was not yet 20?

And some people wonder why the Thais apparently want us out of the country.

I don't care if you are a rock star or a billionaire...that is downright creepy by any standard.

You play World of Warcraft, what does she do? Play dress up Barbie and Ken?

So we should all throw in the towel and spend our money on grouchy 70-year-old ladies, never touching firm flesh again before they throw us in a hole on our one trip through life, all to accommodate your sensibilities. Remember that when you get there. I truly hope you live by your words. 

I don't care if you are a rock star or a billionaire...that is downright creepy by any standard.

3 hours ago, Mac98 said:

So we should all throw in the towel and spend our money on grouchy 70-year-old ladies, never touching firm flesh again before they throw us in a hole on our one trip through life, all to accommodate your sensibilities. Remember that when you get there. I truly hope you live by your words. 

Oh come on fellas, you both know that once you get to a gap of, say, 25 years you are really into generation differences rather than anything else. I'm no 'prude' but once a chap enters into a relationship with a woman 30 or more years younger there are all kinds of traps here...he may want to sit at home and read a book or other and she wants to go out etc. I mean, it is unjust for her as it is for him.

9 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Oh come on fellas, you both know that once you get to a gap of, say, 25 years you are really into generation differences rather than anything else. I'm no 'prude' but once a chap enters into a relationship with a woman 30 or more years younger there are all kinds of traps here...he may want to sit at home and read a book or other and she wants to go out etc. I mean, it is unjust for her as it is for him.

For whatever reason, some people genuinely like older partners. I don’t think we can make blankets statements. They may want security, feel they are treated better, and the older partner may have an appealing attitude for them.

22 hours ago, TKDfella said:

On 11/4/2019 at 8:00 AM, Mac98 said:

Not really – "...unjust for her as it is for him" – it depends on your mind, the way you think, and your life-style...????

Thai men are by the way mainly into younger women, i.e. much younger women. My legal adviser got married for, I think it was, the fourth time. He is same age as me, by that time 62, and his new wife was just 20.

Age difference might work well when you share interests.

My Thai girlfriend is 32 years younger than I. We have been together for 15 years now, and I might in some situations even be the "younger one". I don't want "to sit down at home and read a book or other", I want to get out to a dance-party in a club and dance. Most of the times we are together, but occasionally she may wish to stay home, if she want, or need, to get up early next morning, or just fell tired, so I'm alone out in the vibrant nightlife. It's not unjust for either, we are both Okay and happy.

And if my 32-year younger girlfriend occasionally wish to head out with her girly friends to a Thai-music place where they mainly eat and talk Thai, it's no fun for the fairly young ladies to have a bored me hanging around. Then I gladly voluntary stay "home and read a book or other" until past midnight, and catch up with the girls in a night-club, where there are some good dance-music. It's the normal procedure that the girls move on to another place later at night, and their preferred other place is my favorite club – everybody are happy, and neither of us feel any "generation difference"...????

Wife kinda cute, fifteen years younger. Teach, surrounded by healthy, vibrant, active, bright attractive students. Take trips as much as possible. Camping, outdoors, islands. Steak, sushi. Stay out of the US and away from that noxious political mileau as much as possible.

Like going to work - lots of beauties on mrt/bts

13 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

For whatever reason, some people genuinely like older partners. I don’t think we can make blankets statements. They may want security, feel they are treated better, and the older partner may have an appealing attitude for them.

If my wife and I were to part I could easily see her going for a guy 50+. She's 43 and looks 34-37.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:05 PM, Tim K said:

From an ancient chinese book, I-Ching
Hexagram 30, line 3.

Siu: The man reaches his declining years and recalls the transitoriness of life. Instead of enjoying the ordinary pleasures while they last, he groans in melancholy.

Wing: The best attitude to cultivate at this time in your life is a general acceptance of fate. To totally lose yourself in the happiness of the moment is as bad as to bemoan the passing of time. Such folly of the mind and the emotions leads to a loss of inner freedom. Misfortune.

So  true,  concentrate on your future ,  have you made a bucket list ?

I have ..

33 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Not really – "...unjust for her as it is for him" – it depends on your mind, the way you think, and your life-style...????

Thai men are by the way mainly into younger women, i.e. much younger women. My legal adviser got married for, I think it was, the fourth time. He is same age as me, by that time 62, and his new wife was just 20.

Age difference might work well when you share interests.

My Thai girlfriend is 32 years younger than I. We have been together for 15 years now, and I might in some situations even be the "younger one". I don't want "to sit down at home and read a book or other", I want to get out to a dance-party in a club and dance. Most of the times we are together, but occasionally she may wish to stay home, if she want, or need, to get up early next morning, or just fell tired, so I'm alone out in the vibrant nightlife. It's not unjust for either, we are both Okay and happy.

And if my 32-year younger girlfriend occasionally wish to head out with her girly friends to a Thai-music place where they mainly eat and talk Thai, it's no fun for the fairly young ladies to have a bored me hanging around. Then I gladly voluntary stay "home and read a book or other" until past midnight, and catch up with the girls in a night-club, where there are some good dance-music. It's the normal procedure that the girls move on to another place later at night, and their preferred other place is my favorite club – everybody are happy, and neither of us feel any "generation difference"...????

Well, okay I accept what you say but whatever one's inclination there is a generation gap. In your case it has not affected your marriage and I hope it continues that way. However, It most certainly wouldn't work for me, I am TT, don't smoke cigarettes and haven't been to a bar in many years. And I am by no means a special case or unusual as I have learned since I have lived in Thailand. In my native country I did go to disco dancing (and won prizes for it) but it was more of a workout than anything else. I gave that up long before coming to Thailand but continued with martial arts. This did cause a problem in my marriage (lasted 18 years) because while I was teaching in the evening my Thai wife wanted us to be elsewhere. However, this was balanced by the fact that I supported in her college study (masters degree) where I was able to help her with the mathematics and she accepted this. There was a 15 year difference in age.

(our divorce was unrelated to this).

My two English friends weren't so lucky (ages 60 and 63 wives were 20-25 year difference) and both marriages ended after 5 years (or there about) partly due to the women wanting to stay out after midnight with their friends. My American friend (65 y.o.) found his 35 year old wife in bed with another (young) foreigner and that was that.

One has to accept that anyone younger than 40 is more resilient that someone of 60+ and it also depends on what 'types' husband and wife are. Sometimes like+like is good as they can enjoy similar things and sometimes like+unlike might provide a break in routine and boredom. But if there is a gap of a generation then there is greater chance of the differences being enhanced.

4 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Well, okay I accept what you say but whatever one's inclination there is a generation gap. In your case it has not affected your marriage and I hope it continues that way. However, It most certainly wouldn't work for me, I am TT, don't smoke cigarettes and haven't been to a bar in many years. And I am by no means a special case or unusual as I have learned since I have lived in Thailand. In my native country I did go to disco dancing (and won prizes for it) but it was more of a workout than anything else. I gave that up long before coming to Thailand but continued with martial arts. This did cause a problem in my marriage (lasted 18 years) because while I was teaching in the evening my Thai wife wanted us to be elsewhere. However, this was balanced by the fact that I supported in her college study (masters degree) where I was able to help her with the mathematics and she accepted this. There was a 15 year difference in age.

(our divorce was unrelated to this).

My two English friends weren't so lucky (ages 60 and 63 wives were 20-25 year difference) and both marriages ended after 5 years (or there about) partly due to the women wanting to stay out after midnight with their friends. My American friend (65 y.o.) found his 35 year old wife in bed with another (young) foreigner and that was that.

One has to accept that anyone younger than 40 is more resilient that someone of 60+ and it also depends on what 'types' husband and wife are. Sometimes like+like is good as they can enjoy similar things and sometimes like+unlike might provide a break in routine and boredom. But if there is a gap of a generation then there is greater chance of the differences being enhanced.

Thanks for your reply.

It's individual, we are all different.

However, I gave up smoking some years ago – I didn't smoke much, so easy to give up, whilst difficult to smoke at most places – and I normally never drink (alcohol) when out in the nightlife, I'm always a sober driver when heading back home. I don't go to bars, I'm out for dancing in clubs (discos), and occasionally a beach party; including Full Moon Party. My dancing is both fun and workout...????

Many of us aliens with Thai partner live a risky life. If someone more handsome and more rich shows up, we might be deselected.

I think, that in general many women look out for better hunters/providers, it seems to be deep in the human genes from ancient ages. Just like most men look out for young attractive females for breeding – also deep in the genes – but our various culture stop most of us from anything more than looking. Thai ladies might however be little more than looking, known as being number one in World for infidelity.

I agree in that age gap can be a problem, and also a culture gap can be a problem; combined they might generate serious problems.

And on top of gaps is a man's provider potential, which again might be of more importance in Thailand, than in a Western country where marriage of convenience is something that mainly belong to the past, though many Western women are still on the look for a billionaire. Thai culture is in many ways more old-fashioned, and with furthermore the obligation for the younger, often the girls, to support the elder in the family, a partnership of convenience makes sense. The middle-aged or elder man – and that's common among Thais that it's best if the man is older, even double as old – is often a better financial provider, and might therefore be selected as we no longer hunt for food, but use money instead. However the human 1.0 hardware-genes might still be attracted by the strong young handsome hunter. It's actually scientific facts from some fairly recently published studies.

It all fits quite well with men that are trying to keep themselves fit – one way or the other – in older age, and the saying: "A man is only as old as the woman he feels"...????

On 11/2/2019 at 7:39 AM, Fex Bluse said:

Really enjoy this thread. 

I masturbate quite alot since getting past middle age. 

It's healthy and afterwards I'm too tired to care much about anything else, especially since the end result takes so long and requires so much energy. 

That explains a lot...5555

Did you watch the movie 'Dirty Grandpa' by any chance.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:47 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

That makes him one lucky guy livin' the dream.

Really...what sort of dreams do you have...no..really...I don't want to know.

Honestly young ladies are nice to look at, they are hot I admit, but for fun I go for minimum of 35 preferably 40 year olds. The barely out of school young women just don't have it in them. No experience except, apparently, with some creepy old guys.

On 11/3/2019 at 2:32 PM, ChrisKC said:

How awful it would be if you knew the way and the time it would actually happen? At 70, you can believe you will live to a 100 and therefore have nearly 50% of your life still to come! Yes, you will become weaker and maybe suffer some ill health along the way but there are many much younger people (including a few on this forum) for whom being weak and unhealthy are facts of life for them now and are concerned about dying sooner as well!

For me, I have my moments when I fear dying - but not of death itself! I am not depressed and believe I can avoid an even earlier death by not thinking so much and creating stress about a very much unknown quantity. If I can go to bed one night and never wake up, that is my preferred way out.

You wouldn't be human if you didn't think this way from time to time but one of the best ways of thinking in a certain way is to find as many distractions as possible: your loved ones, your activities, your plans, whatever they are or could be. Somebody suggested you make a plan to do some things you really would like to do.

Not a wish list but a To Do List!!

Don't die your death while you still have your life!

I so agree!! I was diagnosed with melanoma 15 years ago. Statistically my life expectancy wasn't the best. What did I do? Started smoking again (yeah that wasn't real bright), drinking beer, riding my (1000cc) motorbike and really not giving a stuff about anything. Here I am 15 years later working in a country I had barely heard of, holidaying in Thailand every month or so, on what I consider to be borrowed time and loving it. I'm happy.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:45 AM, simon43 said:

I had a neck lift a couple of years ago.  Definitely worthwhile to get rid of the chicken folds! I wouldn't advise doing under a local, (as I did) - too much neck ache from keeping my head still for 3 hours...

I've never noticed any chicken folds at the girls at Lolitas.  Mind you their heads are never still for 2 seconds .

Maybe a career change might be in order? 555.

On 11/4/2019 at 2:00 PM, Mac98 said:

You can spend your money whereever you like old son. I'm just saying I find an over sixty man getting it on with a barely legal girl a bit creepy. 

3 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

How to be fit in your 60s and beyond

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fit-60s-beyond-114722935.html

Is this forum becoming  a facebook type site where all people do is post photos and links?

if you do not or cannot have an original/personal opinion it would be better not to post in my opinion.

I never click on links even though I have a pretty good anti virus programme. I'm simply not interested.

20 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Is this forum becoming  a facebook type site where all people do is post photos and links?

if you do not or cannot have an original/personal opinion it would be better not to post in my opinion.

I never click on links even though I have a pretty good anti virus programme. I'm simply not interested.

We are not supposed to copy and past  whole articles from other news sources so I attached a link on how to keep fit last longer  which is what this OP's post is about that people can clik on and read. If in your opinion I should have posted the article or in your opinion a large age gape is freaky and you don't aprove we don't care about your opinion . A newcomer who has been on TV less than 8 months and has more  non informative posts than peopel on here for years. Don't click on the links or bother reading my posts , up to you.

4 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

We are not supposed to copy and past  whole articles from other news sources so I attached a link on how to keep fit last longer  which is what this OP's post is about that people can clik on and read. If in your opinion I should have posted the article or in your opinion a large age gape is freaky and you don't aprove we don't care about your opinion . A newcomer who has been on TV less than 8 months and has more  non informative posts than peopel on here for years. Don't click on the links or bother reading my posts , up to you.

You foolishly did not understand my post. That is to be expected. 

Tell me something that I need to know about, in your opinion, that will keep or make me young. I'm truly interested in.

You can put a few words together without regurgitating someone else's internet waffle??

If you can then I am listening: if you can't well bye bye.

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

You foolishly did not understand my post. That is to be expected. 

Tell me something that I need to know about, in your opinion, that will keep or make me young. I'm truly interested in.

You can put a few words together without regurgitating someone else's internet waffle??

If you can then I am listening: if you can't well bye bye.

Many pages to this thread and I have posted more on this thread to give advice opinions than on any other posts I have contributed on in 7 years. I gave examples of what I do (exersizes,nutrition, vitamins suppliments) Gave links photos of examples of things to do  so if you want to see my personal beliefs you will have to go back and read my posts.

On 11/3/2019 at 8:32 PM, ChrisKC said:

The only thing that would  make my life have more meaning than just waiting for something to happen to end it would be to have a family. I thought I had one till I didn't, but it's the first time in my life I wish I'd had children.

Of course, nowadays, having western children is having grandchildren that don't care about granddad, so perhaps it wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome.

Lots of things I'd like to do, but I'm never going to climb Everest or drive a dog team across Antarctica now, so I have to be happy with less wanted to do things.

8 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Really...what sort of dreams do you have...no..really...I don't want to know.

Honestly young ladies are nice to look at, they are hot I admit, but for fun I go for minimum of 35 preferably 40 year olds. The barely out of school young women just don't have it in them. No experience except, apparently, with some creepy old guys.

LOL. At my stage of life, just waking up next to a girl that doesn't look like my granny is the dream. The idea that I would be engaging in gymnastically challenging horizontal folk dancing is something that ended long ago.

The beauty of LOS is that it doesn't have to be permanent. When she no longer wants to be with papa, she moves on, as do we. No court cases, no hatred ( that goes with marriage ).

Archived