The getting old curse – How are you dealing with it?

tomgreen

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I actually did want to have a partner/ wife again, it's be to a woman never had children and never wanted any. They do exist.

i think you're right.  but mine is off the list now    ????

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/25/2019 at 10:33 PM, MeePeeMai said:

Thanks Tony

I started this journey about 2 1/2 years ago and began by doing a 25 day water only fast (had a Burger King super sized meal the night before my fast which was a huge mistake.. but live and learn).  I just rested in bed the whole time.  That fast was way worse than it had to be since my body was HIGHLY TOXIC and I did not do any 2 week fruit juice only prep or detox or diet changes prior to my 1st fast.  I just wanted to see if I could make it to 30 days.  I tapped out at 25 but I broke my fast with fruit juice and watermelon and stayed fruit only for about a month afterwards, which was the correct thing to do.  My BP went from about 220/130 down to 130/84 (no meds).  It was quite miserable I must say.

I then slowly fell back into my old habits again but tried to eat less complex carbs and sweets.  After about 6 months I gained back the 30 pounds that I lost on my first fast, I did another 25 day water only fast (no prep this time either).  This one was much easier and the detox symptoms and healing crisis' were much less severe as most of the heavy metals, sulfur and other built up toxins had already been released.  After this one I went all fruit again for about 2 months and felt wonderful.  My weight went from 236 down to 190. My blood pressure went from about 160/100 down to 124/76 (no meds).  After this I started doing some intermittent dry fasting (1 and then 2 and then 3 and then 5 days) periodically and eating a lot more fruit and less and less garbage.

About a year ago I started doing approx. 1 month all fruit and then 1 month mixed (some fish/seafood/chicken/rice) and did this for about 8 months.  I went all fruit about 4 months ago now and still do intermittent water and dry fasting although I haven't done any more water fasts longer than 10 days since then (but I am hoping to do one soon).  I still want to make it 30 days (or more).

Previously Mr doctor recommended that I go on statins and back on my BP meds (I refused to take them any longer) and she told me I was a pre-diabetic etc.  My BP is now 120/64 with a resting pulse of about 64 and my last blood test everything was perfect (no more high cholesterol and no longer told that I was a "prediabetic").  The Doctor told me to "just keep doing whatever it was that I was doing because everything looks perfect" as she put it.  I don't do any vitamins, minerals, supplements or nuts as I get all I need with the fruit (thanks though).

You said "later changed my diet to far less refined sugar, fish, lean meat, much more fruits and veggies , exercise and feel great so will stick with it."  That is awesome Tony and you are doing the right thing for sure!  As long as your body feels better then you know you are doing the right thing and moving in the right direction.  Good for you!!

I think a lot of us older folks really need to change our eating habits and lifestyle as we get older or things just spiral downhill from here if we don't.

Have a great day and it is a pleasure talking to you about getting healthy!!

Derek

While everyone is entitled to live their life as they please, I had 60 good years eating all sorts of delicious but very bad food and far too much sugar.

Although now a fat old man, that is mainly due to 10 years of gout making my knees hurt too much to do much.

I did discover how to avoid gout, but too late to avoid getting fat.

Too be quite frank, I'd rather eat myself in the grave with food I Iike, than torture myself with weeks long fasting and eating boring food.

PS before saying I had gout from drinking too much alcohol, know that I rarely drank alcohol before and never the last 25 years.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While everyone is entitled to live their life as they please, I had 60 good years eating all sorts of delicious but very bad food and far too much sugar.

Although now a fat old man, that is mainly due to 10 years of gout making my knees hurt too much to do much.

I did discover how to avoid gout, but too late to avoid getting fat.

Too be quite frank, I'd rather eat myself in the grave with food I Iike, than torture myself with weeks long fasting and eating boring food.

PS before saying I had gout from drinking too much alcohol, know that I rarely drank alcohol before and never the last 25 years.

I rarely drink but still have gout, as did my father, so it can be hereditary. I can only keep it under control with Allopurinol. Never want to experience that pain again.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:43 PM, giddyup said:

I rarely drink but still have gout, as did my father, so it can be hereditary. I can only keep it under control with Allopurinol. Never want to experience that pain again.

None of my family have it, but if one has some problem more likely to be passed on. Luckily I have no children to infect.

I'll probably get the diabetes my mother had.

I don't think I've ever experienced such pain before or since.

Someone on TVF informed me they use voltaren, and that literally saved my life.

Do you drink lots of water? I drink large amounts of water which presumably flushes the offending substance out. That of course causes having to pee a lot, which is the point of drinking large amounts of water.

Voltaren is toxic to the kidneys, and should only be used in the first 24 hours of an attack.

I used Voltaren 75mg SR which is available over the counter in Thailand, but only on prescription in NZ. 

69 heading for 70. Been very lucky not been sick for many many years. No meds at all for same. Seen many friends die younger than me and even more popping pills all day long. All that could change at any time and death is getting closer. Why worry about what you cant change. Its going to happen . Enjoy every day you can. Coming back shortly for the 17th year to avoid the winter in Europe.

On 11/25/2019 at 12:44 PM, MeePeeMai said:

Well that's where I must disagree with you.

We are not omnivores, we are frugivores. Same as chimps/apes and orangutans (even though when pushed out of their native habitat they must adapt and eat other than fruits to survive).  We are not carnivores as we have no claws or canines and cannot chase down and kill animals to eat them (as in the cat family).  We are not herbivores either (as you mentioned) so we cannot be omnivores (even though we seem to have evolved to eat as such and this is why our diets are killing us). 

This diet is sustainable long term as there are many how have done it for decades and some are in their 70's and 80's but it can be a challenge for sure.  The ones who cannot do it and do not look well are the ones who do not completely finish the detox process and complete the transition properly. 

I no longer eat grass, leaves, seeds, nuts, grains, roots, legumes, grass etc. I simply asked you where those animals get their protein from?  Would you care to answer that one?

BTW, fruits, berries and melons are high in sugar yes... but it is fructose (a simple sugar which DOES NOT require insulin to be able to enter the cells) as opposed to refined and processed sugars which are nightmares for the body.  Vegetables contain glucose which also does not require insulin to enter the cells.  Sucrose, refined and processes sugars AND sugar substitutes cause diabetes. 

In fact, eating only fruits berries and melons can cure a person of type 2 diabetes in a short period of time (as can long water fasts followed up with a proper supporting and healthy diet).  Lots of proof and studies on that. It's a fact.   It's the AMA and Medical Doctors that refuse to acknowledge these facts because it goes against their beliefs and what they were taught in school etc.  They would go out of business and go bankrupt if they actually "cured" people (of anything) instead of just "treating (masking) their symptoms" by putting them on medications for life.  It's a merry-go-round that is designed to be highly profitable and keep the sick people sick and on meds. 

Look up Dr. Robert Morse N.D. on YouTube if you care to do so, his channel is robertmorsend .  He promotes this diet and has even helped paras, quads, M.S. patients etc get out of their chairs and some are running marathons now.  He has also taken thousands of post chemo/radiation/immuno therapy stage 4 and 5 cancer patients (which were told they have only weeks to live and to call hospice) and has them completely cured and cancer free living happy and healthy lives where the allopathic doctors nearly killed them.  To each his own and everyone chooses their own path.  I do not trust or believe in Western medicine (other than for serious trauma and surgery).  I believe that most Rx drugs are poison that must be avoided (although there are some exceptions such as Lasix for CHF patients with sever edema (which is compromising their respiratory system etc.).  I was an EMT and worked on ambulances for 12 years so I do have some medical experience and I have my own stories to tell (but this is not the place for that).

I am not planning to live like this the rest of my life (though I just might) but I am using this method to detox and heal my body (and all my organs) until such time that I think I am as healthy as I could be and then maybe I will add more foods to my menu as I see fit.  It's all about listening to your body and not your mind.  Your body knows what it wants and what is good for it.  Our minds are what keeps us addicted to the foods we shouldn't be eating.  These foods are addictive and cause the release of dopamine, seratonin and other endorphins which keep you (your mind) craving the foods that stimulate your glands to release them for that feeling of "pleasure".

Like I said, it's not for everyone and I am not trying to convince anyone here.  This is not medical advice.  That was not the reason I posted this info.  I simply posted my own personal experience to share with others who are suffering and offer them some hope (outside of Rx drugs and doctors visits for the rest of their days). 

If you disbelieve any of what I said, that is perfectly fine with me and I am not here to try to convince you or anyone else otherwise. It is up to each individual to do their own research and make up their own minds what they want to believe and which path they want to follow.

Cheers and thanks for the discussion!!

We are not omnivores, we are frugivores.

We are and always were omnivores.

Can you imagine a man who doesn't like meat?

Jing, any type of meat......

Halrey in Panties.jpg

12 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Just two weeks of reduced activity increases body fat and decreases muscle strength, particularly among seniors

https://www.yahoo.com/news/just-two-weeks-reduced-activity-increases-body-fat-092909721.html

No it doesn't. I spent over a year living in a hotel in Chiang Mai doing not much at all, except watching tv. Only went for a short walk a couple of days a week.

Not only did I not put on excessive amount of weight ( no more than 1 kg in the whole time ) when I returned home I was just as strong as when I left 16 months before.

It's more what you eat than what you do IMO. I've put on more weight now that I'm active than I did when I wasn't, but I eat more now.

PS, I was definitely a senior even then.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No it doesn't. I spent over a year living in a hotel in Chiang Mai doing not much at all, except watching tv. Only went for a short walk a couple of days a week.

Not only did I not put on excessive amount of weight ( no more than 1 kg in the whole time ) when I returned home I was just as strong as when I left 16 months before.

It's more what you eat than what you do IMO. I've put on more weight now that I'm active than I did when I wasn't, but I eat more now.

One has to realise that an awful lot depends on genetics and unique metabolism . Muscle also weighs m

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So you doubt that British Study that I gave the link to?  Here  is an  one from the USA  --

https://www.cheatsheet.com/health-fitness/skipping-workouts-how-long-does-it-take-to-lose-your-muscles.html/

I myself did my own test when in high school. After a summer off from running my freshman year I struggled to get back into condition, strenth speed after not exercising. From then on I trained over the summer so I never had to struggle to get back into top condition. The link above tells how decline of strenth, endurance, oxygen use depends on the individual but shows up in all who become sedanteray and explains why.

You may have thought you were as strong as you were before but did you test that ? If I slack off , not lift or run for 2---3 weeks I can see a decline. Both when I was young and now that I am  older. Sure I might be able to press say 100 lbs once  but if able to do 3 sets of say 10 reps of 80 lbs after a long inactiviity there is no way I can do that and would have to work up to it again.  Also if running/biking my speed and endurance would definately be affected by say 3 weeks inactivity and would probably not burned off somev weight. You said you were dtill walking  in Chiang Mai if done weekly that  might have  been enough to maintain your weight level.

14 hours ago, Tony125 said:

So you doubt that British Study that I gave the link to?  Here  is an  one from the USA  --

https://www.cheatsheet.com/health-fitness/skipping-workouts-how-long-does-it-take-to-lose-your-muscles.html/

I myself did my own test when in high school. After a summer off from running my freshman year I struggled to get back into condition, strenth speed after not exercising. From then on I trained over the summer so I never had to struggle to get back into top condition. The link above tells how decline of strenth, endurance, oxygen use depends on the individual but shows up in all who become sedanteray and explains why.

You may have thought you were as strong as you were before but did you test that ? If I slack off , not lift or run for 2---3 weeks I can see a decline. Both when I was young and now that I am  older. Sure I might be able to press say 100 lbs once  but if able to do 3 sets of say 10 reps of 80 lbs after a long inactiviity there is no way I can do that and would have to work up to it again.  Also if running/biking my speed and endurance would definately be affected by say 3 weeks inactivity and would probably not burned off somev weight. You said you were dtill walking  in Chiang Mai if done weekly that  might have  been enough to maintain your weight level.

As a martial artist I'm not concerned so much with weight lifting (although I do a little) but more on keeping the muscles used to do 'abnormal' actions (stretching, splits etc.). But even doing a little less for a couple or three days shows up in performance. So I agree with you and anyone who disagrees is, in my opinion, just 'cheating' themselves into an illusion. Athletes suffer a price if they don't train.

I find gardening helps, especially if you propagate your own plants. You start thinking about their future more than your own. It helps keep you fit in declining years too. I found that I actually wanted to get up in the morning to tend my garden.

If you haven't got a garden houseplants are massively back on trend. 

Gardening is the best health insurance you can have. 

Yes, sitting too long can kill you, even if you exercise

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/11/health/sitting-increases-risk-of-death-study/index.html

https://www.theactivetimes.com/healthy-living/these-are-23-very-scary-effects-sitting-too-much

It would benefit our Thai Visa Keybord Warriors if they stood up for a min every 30 mins

On 12/14/2019 at 1:14 AM, Tony125 said:

You may have thought you were as strong as you were before but did you test that

Not having been a weightlifter before, I didn't test myself, but I had no problem lifting a 40 kg bag of dirt, so able to lift what I needed to, which is all I need to be able to.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:06 PM, TKDfella said:

As a martial artist I'm not concerned so much with weight lifting (although I do a little) but more on keeping the muscles used to do 'abnormal' actions (stretching, splits etc.). But even doing a little less for a couple or three days shows up in performance. So I agree with you and anyone who disagrees is, in my opinion, just 'cheating' themselves into an illusion. Athletes suffer a price if they don't train.

I agree that if one doesn't use it one loses it. I realised I couldn't put shoes on, so I had to start bending every day till I could. Now I use Crocks, so never have to bend to put them on- brilliant.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree that if one doesn't use it one loses it. I realised I couldn't put shoes on, so I had to start bending every day till I could. Now I use Crocks, so never have to bend to put them on- brilliant.

Crocs! Very expensive thongs!

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

Got to be worst footwear ever created!

????

You have no idea.

For start they are cheap.

Secondly provide more protection than flip flops, which I used to wear.

Thirdly, I don't have to bend over to put them on or tie laces.

Fourthly, in NZ it is polite to take shoes off when entering a house, which is easy when wearing Crocks.

Fifthly, I can leave them on to have a shower in a public shower where I don't want to stand on the floor.

While they make not look cool, I don't care what other people think. I don't live my life for their approval.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You have no idea.

For start they are cheap.

Secondly provide more protection than flip flops, which I used to wear.

Thirdly, I don't have to bend over to put them on or tie laces.

Fourthly, in NZ it is polite to take shoes off when entering a house, which is easy when wearing Crocks.

Fifthly, I can leave them on to have a shower in a public shower where I don't want to stand on the floor.

While they make not look cool, I don't care what other people think. I don't live my life for their approval.

NZ crocs !that’s new and probably not the best place to bend over in a public shower in a 2000 baht pair of jocks! 

6EE4D9C1-232A-41BD-A4EC-F9766388B8A7.png

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Crock, the most unattractive type of footwear irrespective of practicality

Hardly going look good if you need to wear trousers and jacket though ????

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't wear my Crocks as underwear, which is what a thong is, though worn only by women and ladyboys.

Chinese knock offs cost same as Jandals ( flip flops ).

In Australia Jandals/flip flops are called thongs

Archived