So where are the cheapest pubs in Sukhumvit then?

FruitPudding

8 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I heard they have a pub out in Bering, but I forgot the name, sorry. ????????

Oh man, all the way out at Bearing? There's nothing cheaper downtown?

I still don't get it though, for a 150 baht (or less) in the UK you can get a PINT of GOOD QUALITY European beer!

LOS has gone bananas, I think.

12 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I heard they have a pub out in Bering, but I forgot the name, sorry. ????????

Even out in Bearing, I was paying 100 or 150 in the karaoke at the end of the soi for a big Singha. I’m not one for remembering beer prices, though. It was a good night out, as I recall, and I regretted wasting time going to the cheaper place first

Usually, a post likes this gets a lot of scorn from the "I fly business class" crowd.  But, since nearly all of them have left, (because they ran out of money), the coast is clear.  Sports corner...hadnt been in a while...or the bars on soi 7-1 were about 80 for a small.  Even on cowboy street some decent happy hours, but I just dont do thimble pour, unless I need to sober up.  Lighthouse is consistent.  Robin Hood has a following..and aussie pub was doing 42 thb smalls, but it kind of sucked, and has ended.  I live on the purple line, which may be an easier trip to asok...2 large for 100 is a recent promo.  A case of Tigers is 620 at Tesco..the one in my other hand was born on 23 August, and brewed in Sai Noi...so I get all the thrills of supporting a local brewery without ripoff pricing.  Stickman covers a few happy hours...if they are advertisers, but at least you can see local trends.

The Nana Condo was always the cheapest place in Soi 4. Not sure these days.

Not to be confused with the Nana Hotel which is more like a retirement village. The hookers who hang out around that place are even older, they have done a lot of kilometres and well past their use by date.

Three baggers, one for you and one for them and a bag for anyone who might be watching.

17 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Not to be confused with the Nana Hotel which is more like a retirement village. The hookers who hang out around that place are even older, they have done a lot of kilometres and well past their use by date.

Three baggers, one for you and one for them and a bag for anyone who might be watching.

Lol.

Heaven@4 Hotel does draught Singha for around 160 a pint (buy 1 get 1 free) all night the last time I was there. But it is dismal. Always empty. And the bartender blares <deleted> music. After suffering through that you have no choice but to venture out.

16 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Lol.

Heaven@4 Hotel does draught Singha for around 160 a pint (buy 1 get 1 free) all night the last time I was there. But it is dismal. Always empty. And the bartender blares <deleted> music. After suffering through that you have no choice but to venture out.

that seems to be true of a lot of promo places near the red light areas...the atmosphere is so dire, that eventually you bite the bullet and go to the high priced venues...I recall the AYCD promo at Bangkok Beat about 6 years ago...370 for about 4 hours.  I did 14 Tigers, but damn, only a few flirty comments with the waitress, who seemed to be entertained by my ability to quaff, but the ambiance was so seriously lacking, wouldnt have passed as a Sunday brunch at the frat house.  Ended the night at Thermae with a woman who looked like Carrie Lam, except a bit older.

2 for you in case one falls off lol

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was in Bkk 2 months ago and we ended up drinking in a little narrow soi at a street bar. Lady selling som tum with some tables and selling big Leos 80 baht. Had an absolute ball. Dont know if they were avail but 3 or 4 middle aged ladies hanging around. In any case they were great fun and youd only have to walk 20 metres to find a 1000 baht freelancer. Could of been soi six? Or maybe other side of the road. I was staying in soi 8 and it was one of the sois on the way to soi 4. Definitely something different :-)

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I was in Bkk 2 months ago and we ended up drinking in a little narrow soi at a street bar. Lady selling som tum with some tables and selling big Leos 80 baht. Had an absolute ball. Dont know if they were avail but 3 or 4 middle aged ladies hanging around. In any case they were great fun and youd only have to walk 20 metres to find a 1000 baht freelancer. Could of been soi six? Or maybe other side of the road. I was staying in soi 8 and it was one of the sois on the way to soi 4. Definitely something different ????

Glad to hear there is still street drinking allowed around Sukhumvit! I thought those bars had been cleared away.

I will be looking out for it. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Nonsense.  The girls in the Nana car park are young.  The patrons of the hotel have changed in the last few years. The older European and American guys are still there but it became a Japanese go to place a few years ago and now they are letting indians in though keeping them to the lower floors. There are three really old women there, true. I have even seen some regular adventure tourists there. No idea what bagging refers to in the above post but I presume its pejorative and dismissive.

1 hour ago, CharlieBri said:

About 100 mtrs down Sukhumvit, Soi 7 is the "Beer Garden", 80 Thb for Chang Beer until 7pm. Many Freelancers there picking up men, so no bar fines, foods not bad either.

is that small bottles and the only choice?  The place is legendary, but they really ratcheted up their prices over the years, like 120 for a small.  It does seem to get going pretty early in there.  250 for a glass of <deleted> wine...

12 hours ago, moontang said:

Usually, a post likes this gets a lot of scorn from the "I fly business class" crowd.  But, since nearly all of them have left, (because they ran out of money), the coast is clear.  Sports corner...hadnt been in a while...or the bars on soi 7-1 were about 80 for a small.  Even on cowboy street some decent happy hours, but I just dont do thimble pour, unless I need to sober up.  Lighthouse is consistent.  Robin Hood has a following..and aussie pub was doing 42 thb smalls, but it kind of sucked, and has ended.  I live on the purple line, which may be an easier trip to asok...2 large for 100 is a recent promo.  A case of Tigers is 620 at Tesco..the one in my other hand was born on 23 August, and brewed in Sai Noi...so I get all the thrills of supporting a local brewery without ripoff pricing.  Stickman covers a few happy hours...if they are advertisers, but at least you can see local trends.

I was going to say Sports Corner (Sukhumvit end of Soi 20), IIRC beers in there are 75 THB during happy hour & 125 THB after, dito Otto Bar (Corner of Sukhumvit & Soi 22)

pavement bars are flourishing after 2 am in soi 4. the bars you are thinking of were between sois 3 and 5,  they were shutdown years ago. still great times and a laugh after 2 am in soi 4 , and some desparate bar girls on the way home with no customer,  ha ha

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I was in Bkk 2 months ago and we ended up drinking in a little narrow soi at a street bar. Lady selling som tum with some tables and selling big Leos 80 baht. Had an absolute ball. Dont know if they were avail but 3 or 4 middle aged ladies hanging around. In any case they were great fun and youd only have to walk 20 metres to find a 1000 baht freelancer. Could of been soi six? Or maybe other side of the road. I was staying in soi 8 and it was one of the sois on the way to soi 4. Definitely something different ????

You probably were at the street bars in Soi 7 across the street from where you were at. They get a nice crowd.

31 minutes ago, moontang said:

is that small bottles and the only choice?  The place is legendary, but they really ratcheted up their prices over the years, like 120 for a small.  It does seem to get going pretty early in there.  250 for a glass of <deleted> wine...

Dude think about it though for all you beer whiners...a guy like me, that cant drink at all right now, buying Chang Sodah in any bar. its even 60 baht in Thermae. 200 baht in Mixx. I buy it by the case from Big C. delivered, like 8 baht a bottle. I want to drink beer or even Samson just to get my moneys worth

29 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I was going to say Sports Corner (Sukhumvit end of Soi 20), IIRC beers in there are 75 THB during happy hour & 125 THB after, dito Otto Bar (Corner of Sukhumvit & Soi 22)

And that Thai lady named place that moved into the ground floor of the Holiday Inn, actually much nicer than sport corner, but good luck with the sports.. What's her name.. Darn, can't think of it.  Nice businesslike lady, friendly. 

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

And that Thai lady named place that moved into the ground floor of the Holiday Inn, actually much nicer than sport corner, but good luck with the sports.. What's her name.. Darn, can't think of it.  Nice businesslike lady, friendly. 

Will check it out the next time I go for a night out around there, though things won't be the same if the rumours are true and they really do close down Queen's Park Plaza ???? 

I wasn't talking about street bars. These are actually like Thai "street restaurants". Most sell grog too. I'm sure it was on the even number side of Suk road. I was staying in Soi 8 and I think it was the next small lane or two on the way to Soi 4. Only a very small lane not a soi but any of the small lanes with Thai food vendors usually sell grog and if they don't they will run around to 7 eleven and buy it for you.

And oh yes, how could I forget the beer garden ???? I can definitely confirm 80 baht beers as of a couple of months ago. Leo, Singha light, San Miguel etc. Small stubbies. I never stay too late so maybe gets more expensive evening not sure. I don't think so though. Good cruisey atmosphere though and interesting people watching. Girls never approach you unless you make eye contact. No bar fines. Most don't care if you buy them a drink or not. Hit and miss as far as the girls, often the same old slappers but every now and then a diamond in the rough. Best bet usually if you see a girl sitting alone. Have met a few girls there single mums maybe go a few times a month make ends meet. Mind you 2 months ago met this middle aged lady, maybe late 30's early 40's in the beer garden. Very tidy. Wouldn't pick her for a hooker. Ended up taking her and her friend home for 1500 baht both!  Was going to pay the lady 1000 baht and she asked if her friend could come along "just to look" lol and I give her 500. Usually taking 2 back in my experience a pain in the A but the friend turned out to be more of a goer than the other one but both great fun. The lady told me business very bad now. Before she was taking home around 120k baht a month! Do the math. Thats a lot of ck per day! 

I don't bother going to bars anymore doing the fake GF experience thing. Costs a fortune what with drinks, lady drinks, padded bins, having some old slappers bar fine added to your bill, bar fines. Then back home and the girl is too tired, "boom boom morning". Have had this happen more often than not. I went in one of the big bars entrance to Soi Nana with my son and no sooner had we sat down and some old crack hoe came over asking for drinks. I told her sorry we weren't staying long, just having a quiet beer. She walked over the other side of the bar and started screaming Kie neow, cheap Charlie etc. Management these places awful. Never again 

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Will check it out the next time I go for a night out around there, though things won't be the same if the rumours are true and they really do close down Queen's Park Plaza ???? 

I passed the plaza so many times and never went in for a beer, I don't think.

But I always was a patron of Soi 22, mostly the main road bars.

Soi 22 hasn't been the same since they moved Sportsman and all those other little pubs and built the mall. In general, the vibe of Soi 22 has change a lot in the past 5 years I have been upcountry (I was down at summer there and it was kinda disappointing).

Anyway, I shall go into the plaza before they close it. Any little establishment you would recommend in there?

4 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I passed the plaza so many times and never went in for a beer, I don't think.

But I always was a patron of Soi 22, mostly the main road bars.

Soi 22 hasn't been the same since they moved Sportsman and all those other little pubs and built the mall. In general, the vibe of Soi 22 has change a lot in the past 5 years I have been upcountry (I was down at summer there and it was kinda disappointing).

Anyway, I shall go into the plaza before they close it. Any little establishment you would recommend in there?

I like Rumours (The big bar at the front) for a Sunday afternoon chill & watch the world go by beer, Hideaway for a game of pool & Olive Oyl for a laugh with the girls, but as always in Bangkok on any one night any given bar can be great or rubbish, fortunately it's easy there to just stroll to the next one..

There's also a couple of nice bars down a small Soi on the right (coming from Suk) about 1/2 way down Soi 22 that might be worth popping your head into ???? 

39 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I recently had a big bottle of beer for 60 baht in a bar in a soi near on nut so there are deals but not in the touristy areas lol

I stay near On Nut BTS station, and am always looking for new places to eat & drink there, can you recall the name of the bar or the Soi it was on?

Thx

MTV

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Please don't tell me the rumours are about another shopping mall? That's all we need.

Archived