large air bubbles rising from return lines

ThePioneer

Please see if you can explain this.

A filter cycle is 3 hours. The pump get activated by the timer in the Zodiac Tri, so cell and pump get switched on and off simultaneously.

When a filter cycle ends, immediately a few big air bubbles will rise from the return line into the cell housing, rendering it almost empty.

These are know facts which I have explained before.

Now this is new.

Twice now I have let the pump run for 3 hours without the cell powered up. So it is a 3 hour filter cycle with no chlorination.

When after 3 hours I switch off the pump not even the tiniest air bubble will rise from the return line, and the cell housing will be full of water

Dear Pioneer,

Normally when air is returned it is because it is being sucked into the system on the 'sucking' side of the pipework.

This will not always be visible in the front of the pump or pumps in your case, via the perspex lid.

The most likely culprit is the seal on those perspex lids under which you can see the filter baskets.

So the first thing to try is to close down the system, isolate the pump (s) with valves which are normally there so the pumps can be removed for repair or maintenance, and undo the lid, s. I suggest you replace the neoprene seals, a light coating of grease and replace. at the same time check the actual lids for cracks etc. Tighten down well, but do not overtighten with a lever of some kind. Remember this is a plastic. Check the pumps for any kind of small leak between the electric motor and the impeller. There is a ceramic seal there that, when or if, the pump is run dry, will over heat and crack. Usually this is denoted by a leak there. I would like to see more of your pumps and pipes. the pump with the gold colour motor also has a perspex inspection lid I think. But the big black one does not. Can you tell me where this one is sucking from? Bottom of the pool? why does it not have a filter?

Less probable is the level of the pool water, falling below a skimmer level, so the skimmer is sucking air. This would be more obvious. Is your pool leaking at all, does it need topping up more often than before? This would indicate a leak in the pipework around the pool. I imagine that it is a concrete pool and not a vinyl liner. As a later date if no luck with the above, then dig down to reveal the pipes behind the walls, and look for leaks, suction side first. Ie skimmers, hope it is not the bottom suction point. Let me know how this goes.

1 hour ago, oxforddiver said:

Dear Pioneer,

Normally when air is returned it is because it is being sucked into the system on the 'sucking' side of the pipework.

This will not always be visible in the front of the pump or pumps in your case, via the perspex lid.

The most likely culprit is the seal on those perspex lids under which you can see the filter baskets.

So the first thing to try is to close down the system, isolate the pump (s) with valves which are normally there so the pumps can be removed for repair or maintenance, and undo the lid, s. I suggest you replace the neoprene seals, a light coating of grease and replace. at the same time check the actual lids for cracks etc. Tighten down well, but do not overtighten with a lever of some kind. Remember this is a plastic. Check the pumps for any kind of small leak between the electric motor and the impeller. There is a ceramic seal there that, when or if, the pump is run dry, will over heat and crack. Usually this is denoted by a leak there. I would like to see more of your pumps and pipes. the pump with the gold colour motor also has a perspex inspection lid I think. But the big black one does not. Can you tell me where this one is sucking from? Bottom of the pool? why does it not have a filter?

Less probable is the level of the pool water, falling below a skimmer level, so the skimmer is sucking air. This would be more obvious. Is your pool leaking at all, does it need topping up more often than before? This would indicate a leak in the pipework around the pool. I imagine that it is a concrete pool and not a vinyl liner. As a later date if no luck with the above, then dig down to reveal the pipes behind the walls, and look for leaks, suction side first. Ie skimmers, hope it is not the bottom suction point. Let me know how this goes.

I understand everything you say.

The water level is way above the skimmer level, in fact with the current weather the pool is overflowing.

There are no water leaks at all inside the pool house, and the pool is also not leaking, as it doesn't lose water abnormally and I know how to check for leaks.

I have also replaced the pump seal with an new one.

But what you clearly have missed is my last post.

The pump whole in the back is the filter pump, the black one supplies the waterfall and feeds from the main drain.

Twice now I have let the pump run for 3 hours without the cell powered up. So it is a 3 hour filter cycle with no chlorination.

When after 3 hours I switch off the pump not even the tiniest air bubble will rise from the return line, and the cell housing will be full of water

The problem only occurs when chlorinator is activated.

Dear Pioneer,

Hmmm ok, well then the likelihood is air being sucked in in the chlorinator cycle. I am sure you have thought this one out.

All I can suggest is closer inspection of the pipework around and connecting to that cycle. there may be a crack in there somewhere that only opens up under use, pressure or passage of water.  Difficult.               I have not seen a chlorinator like yours before, if possible can you send me better pics of the entire cycle, valve to valve?

Chin up!

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived