Transferwise transfers to Bangkok Bank

Every transfer this year apart from one a the beginning of June has arrived FTT. Both the Bangkok Bank and Transferwise told me that the one in June was due to a software upgrade. Since that upgrade there has been a "new reason for the transfer" option available in the transfer application for transfers to Thailand. It's been successful every time for me.

Since that upgrade there has been a "new reason for the transfer" option available in the transfer application for transfers to Thailand. It's been successful every time for me.

What are the "new reason for the transfer" options? or which one do you choose to ensure it's FTT foreign?

"Funds for long term stay in Thailand", I can't say that even this guarantees the coding required by our friends in Immigration.
I asked TransfereWise, they told me "Funds for long term stay in Thailand" was for information only and did not guarantee international code at the reciving bank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CharlieBri said:

So are ATS transfers considered by Thai Immigration to be the same as FTT, from a foreign bank?

Unlikely, I would have tbought. Strikes me that the ATS code may well be on a par with the dreaded SMT code applied by Bangkok Bank to TransferWise transfers where Kasikorn or TMB have acted as TransferWises's receiving agency bank in Thailand.

25 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

"Funds for long term stay in Thailand", I can't say that even this guarantees the coding required by our friends in Immigration.

The only surefire method of guaranteeing the coveted FTT code in the case of us Brits with Bangkok Bank accounts IMHO is by making transfers via their London branch (notwithstanding the formidable bureaucratic hoops which first need to be jumped through before this facility can be used) - although it is essential to ensure that GBP-to-THB conversions are performed in Bangkok post-transfer rather than in London pre-transfer.

Am totally bemused with this ongoing situation
Surely but surely you bring the bank statement from (insert your thai bank) showing last 12 months or whatever showing incoming funds and alongside (insert your foreign bank) your statement showing the corresponding outgoing transfers....how simple does it need to be

I simply dont believe that Thai immigration are that stupid

There several ways of getting the money into your Th account. 1. Via a third party bank in Thai 2. They don’t send the money but transfer it locally. Both these ways it will shows as Domestic code, like a interbank code. If they send it direct to your bank than it’s fine, but it’s like Russian roulette.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

There several ways of getting the money into your Th account. 1. Via a third party bank in Thai 2. They don’t send the money but transfer it locally. Both these ways it will shows as Domestic code, like a interbank code. If they send it direct to your bank than it’s fine, but it’s like Russian roulette.

Totally irrelevant to what I wrote.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Surely but surely you bring the bank statement from (insert your thai bank) showing last 12 months or whatever showing incoming funds and alongside (insert your foreign bank) your statement showing the corresponding outgoing transfers....how simple does it need to be

Has anyone tried this, I for one would like to know, as it had been one of my plans. All my transfers show as TRN in the passbook, and some times Dummy on line. I was confident that it would work but many here have been agonizing over the FTT code so I assumed that it had been tested with Immigration and have gone with Plan B. This is what happens when you go away from the forum for extended periods, you dont see the germination of an idea or whether the answer seems reliable or not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Whilst it's obviously more expensive that the TransferWise option, peace of mind certainly makes it worthwhile.

It is also possible to set up a monthly standing order with one's UK bank (as I have done) with the Bangkok Bank London branch method - whereas this is not possible with either TransferWise or SWIFT as far as I can tell. That ensures further peace of mind through eliminating the risk of a particular month's transfer being inadvertently overlooked (although it is, of course, necessary to keep a weather eye on the prevailng Bangkok Bank TT rate, particularly in cases where there are fine margins with the GBP amount being transferred each month relative to the required 65,000 THB minimum).

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

I also simply can't believe farangs are so stupid to inundate IOs with with useless documents and expect them to by their concocted documents.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, colinchaffers said:

I disagree with you there. 

In my case I opened my TW account last December and my BKK account in January. 

I get 3 different pensions on different days of the month and so far this year I only had one go via KBank and the rest showed up as FTT at BKK Bank.

I rang TW and asked for my transfers go via BKK and into my BKK account. The lady at TW said that they couldn't guarantee that 100%, but since then the transfers do go via BKK Bank and into my BKK account.

If you are using TW and BKK Bank the option is to talk to TW and they will do their best to route your transaction via BKK Bank all the way and that will show as FTT on your bank book and statement.

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

it sounds simple on paper, but most people don't transfer 65,000 THB from their Foreign bank account, they transfer £1,750 or $2,150 or s$3,000 or a$3,100 which lands as approx 65,000 THB & I doubt the IO will want to sit there to match them up (especially if the Foreign Bank statement isn't in English), could you not get a letter from your Thai Bank confirming all of the transfers came from Overseas or use the Transferwise receipts? 

FWIW, my last 3 Transferwise transactions since July (all Citibank SG - Bangkok Bank) have shown up as "Interbank Transfer via SMART" which I'm pretty sure won't show as an FTT, the ones before that (May & before) showed up as "International Transfer" & was marked as FTT, I use the money in the bank route so it's not important to me but I can see how lots of people could get caught out by this when it comes to their renewal.

Have made another transfer this morning so let's see what this one arrives as... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluetongue said:

Has anyone tried this, I for one would like to know, as it had been one of my plans. All my transfers show as TRN in the passbook, and some times Dummy on line. I was confident that it would work but many here have been agonizing over the FTT code so I assumed that it had been tested with Immigration and have gone with Plan B. This is what happens when you go away from the forum for extended periods, you dont see the germination of an idea or whether the answer seems reliable or not.

Yes I have and it worked no problem. See my post #23 above.

I have believed for some time that all this palaver regarding the transaction code is a complete red herring. From my experience, it's the supporting documents that the IO wants to see.

Edited by Moonlover

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

The problem is, the amounts shown in the passbook may be incoming, but they could come from NOT a foreign source, which is that FTT coding people are talking about.  Drones will do what drones are told, and a local down the chain of command IO will just follow orders.

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Henryford said:
NO. My last one wasn't shown as FTT which defeats the whole point of having a BBK account.

When was that?

Just last month. I had opened a BBK account purely to get the FTT on my 65k transfers. A waste of time. Too risky to argue the toss with Immigration next year that my transfers were valid.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Surely you can believe how pedantic they might be!

Your Thai bankbook showing the deposits tagged as FTT... and maybe photocopies with them highlighted should suffice too! But the rule as written says nothing about foreign bank statements... 

My friend did as you suggested in Jomtiem and that worked, fortunately the foreign bank statement is likely to be in English.

Edited by jacko45k

8 hours ago, Chivas said:

At the moment it doesn't matter how many bank letter/statements you get from your bank,if every transfer in the bankbook doesn't show up as a foreign transfer. It might change when Immigration learns how transfers actually work.