life in Thailand-still sweet?

jastheace

I've been knocked for commenting on several topics of doom and gloom, where I post positive comments about life here, on what have been initially negative posts. I have been encouraged to start a new post. so.... positive thoughts please. I have been here for 15 years, times were GREAT then, but even with exchange rates and having to think forward about travel plans re tm30, overall life is cool here, if I wasn't happy, I wouldn't complain, I would just up sticks and go back to where I came from. LIFE IS STILL SWEET in this country. I see people who complain but still want to be here, I hear people threaten to go elsewhere, not their home country though, but still remain here.

how is it for you? I love it here, and despise comments especially on forums, just airing grievances, without any weight.

pls keep it positive guys....#

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life is what you make it.

If things change, it's no use moaning about it, you need to adjust and adapt where necessary.

I am more than happy here.

Those that aren't happy, probably won't be happy with their new destination, once the novelty wears off, and will carry on moaning.

29 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Lately, more like bitter-sweet...

You do know it´s you that are the boss of your life? If you don´t like it, change it. if not already put yourself in a position thta makes further choices in life impossible, that will say. In that case, I just have to congratulate you to all the wrong choices in life.

15 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You do know it´s you that are the boss of your life? If you don´t like it, change it. if not already put yourself in a position thta makes further choices in life impossible, that will say. In that case, I just have to congratulate you to all the wrong choices in life.

Gosh....well I'd like to but I'm kinda marooned at the moment..????

IMG_8476.jpg

It seems many people need something to complain about. Maybe the neighbors, the laws, the traffic, the food, whatever.

And when those people move to somewhere else they will still complain.

Because when they complain they basically want to say: I would be happy if this and that would be true.

But they are never happy. So if anything gets better and they could be happier they will sure find another reason why they are not happy.

I try to avoid those people.

Sure for all of us there are real challenges from time to time. We can complain, accept what can't be changed, or try to change what can be changed. It's our choice.

I started to get bored of Bangkok and the pollution. I moved to a rural area in western central Thailand. I enjoy it a lot.

Everyone is super friendly and happy. However if I did not have a huge garden, I would get bored pretty quickly. I never used marijuana in Thailand but the future is looking great. If I could have my 6 plants then, I would spend a lot of time breeding some fine plants as a hobby. 

I would prefer the visa system and reporting to be more straightforward but it's nothing compared to my wife that has maybe 10% odds to ever set foot to my native Canada.

I have a newborn and enjoy taking care of him. He's very lucky since he will be able to travel almost anywhere he want. 

Every currencies are massively down to bitcoin this year. Life is good! 

22 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I never used marijuana in Thailand but the future is looking great. If I could have my 6 plants then, I would spend a lot of time breeding some fine plants as a hobby. 

Life is sweet I have a shed!Oh and a wife!I also have a taste for life.I too look forward to some fine cultivation time which was quite a passion of mine in the past.

Life here is very good. Once people learn to forget the happier they'll be. Yes, forget! stop making constant comparisons from wherever you came from, stop thinking in your home currency, stop trying to make here like there and wondering why it isn't and how you can change it.Enjoy the overall freedoms you have here, less rules regs etc, you have a great freedom here to do pretty much whatever you want. Life is uncomplicated there are no pressures here. Immigration is no real issue for me, 15 minutes each 90 days and 45 minutes once a year is no problem.

2 hours ago, jastheace said:

if I wasn't happy, I wouldn't complain

I think that says most of it right there... me too. I am quite happy here, surely more so than I would be elsewhere... even if not, I would have no need to trash a place... just move on and leave it in the past. 

And amongst the complainers, how many of them are experiencing financial troubles? - a tough fix after retirement... and would they likely just complain no matter where they were? 

I have just a few words to say, life is good, and the reason is

Cash is the king!

As long you got money, you have very few worries. But I understand those who came here 10 years ago or so, with their state pention, now having problems to enjoy Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you want to stay positive, surround yourself with positive people.

I wouldn't swap my life in Thailand for anywhere else. If I won a large lottery prize, that statement would not change.

Thus speaketh the voice of wisdom.

At least on this particular topic, otherwise, ignore him.

51 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Life here is very good. Once people learn to forget the happier they'll be. Yes, forget! stop making constant comparisons from wherever you came from, stop thinking in your home currency, stop trying to make here like there and wondering why it isn't and how you can change it.Enjoy the overall freedoms you have here, less rules regs etc, you have a great freedom here to do pretty much whatever you want. Life is uncomplicated there are no pressures here. Immigration is no real issue for me, 15 minutes each 90 days and 45 minutes once a year is no problem.

while I agree the base line of where you are coming from, to me, it's accepting that Thailand is not the easiest place to live, for expat or local, but that it has its compensations.  I disagree that there are no pressures here to have to deal with.  The driving is dangerous and stressful, the corruption is endemic, the officialdom is irritating and all are undeniable negatives. I agree that immigration is not a real issue once you get to grips with it. It's an 'on balance' judgement for me.  On Balance, I would rather be here than in my home country.  On balance, I am happy here in comparison to the alternatives.  But I don't kid myself that it's all wine and roses.  

2 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Do you live next door to immigration? 

Those time frames sound a little far fetched to me.

I would say more like 20 minutes for a 90 day report and I agree with Charlie H , 45 minutes for an extension.  It's Jomtein after all for me, which seems to be the most efficient of the Immigration offices. 

I don't hate it here. But I don't love it either. It's become a boring normality to be here. If I wouldn't have a house, family and kids who go to school here I'd be long gone. I'd love to spent half my time away from Thailand, maybe somewhere in Southern Europe, to be able to appreciate the good sides of being in Thailand again, but given current circumstances that ain't gonna happen for the next decade or so.

8 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Do you live next door to immigration? 

Those time frames sound a little far fetched to me.

One of the joys of living in the sticks! 

If I fill in the form prior to arrival the 90 day has been done in less !

1 hour ago, nikmar said:

Saturday night and Im sat in the market near my home with a cold beer and somtam. My wife gives me a big smle and I think, it could be worse, it could be a lot worse. 

Sorry ! but she "smiles" at all the boys!!

Archived