life in Thailand-still sweet?

jastheace

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

So you like to party, and now you will marry your girlfriend.  ( not my goal, but seems to work for 50% of people)

Life doesn't get any sweeter - eh?

Think this through about 100 times before you commit.  

Marriage and "party central" do not usually co-exist

Stay free, stay happy, and don't spend all your money in one place  - Happy trails sir

I explain a little better. I live in Pattaya so I have all the fun and excitement on my doorstep but, I think I’d be lucky to get drunk once a month now. It’s just nice to have to option plus it’s nice to have friends flying in regularly otherwise I wouldn’t see them anywhere near as often.

I guess when you live next door to the devil you don’t feel the need to knock on his door too often. 

My gf is one of the good ones.  She’s easily the best Thai girl I’ve met in the 7 years I’ve been travelling round and living in Thailand. Doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, had 1 boyfriend before and she’s gainfully employed. 

Definitely thought long and hard about it but she’s been back to Oz to meet the fam and has been welcomed into my family, usually a tough gig. 

She’s smart, educated, self motivated, polite and gorgeous. What’s not to like!

I’ll definitely be staying happy and money conscious so thanks for your kind advice. Good things to you also ???????? 

Today I was having lunch at a Beach restaurant. 

Nice cool, a bit rainy weather, nice wind!

There comes a Farang parking his big SUV on the parking lot ... old guy, maybe 70 or something.

He sits down next to my table, really grumpy and aggressive demeanor ... can't wait a minute for the waitress to come to serve him. 

Instead he smashes on that bell ring thing on the table, until it was broken. 

When the waitress came, he immediately complained that the bell is 'kaputt'.

I heard the waitress mumbling something like 'jai yen' ... and she looked a bit abused/helpless around.

Before I left, I wanted to give him the bell from my table, and tell him ... here, a bell, before you get a heart attack ... but I bit my tongue and just left.

So many happy Farang's I see around me, a large number, they all add up over the years, day after day ????

Agree 100%. I love it here. I may have said before that my income is still in GBP which is a bit of a bummer but I'd still rather live in this sweet country than the sour, bitter UK

A word on surrounding yourself with positive people...use the ignore function! Weed out the naysayers with their inane comments and this forum becomes a much nicer place. Good thread.

Where is the ignore button? Has it been worn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Lets stop  kidding ourselves how wonderful this place is. Australian dollar has lost  a third to the baht. I have friends who buy beer at the 7/7 store and sit  out the front and drink. Other friends who only go to the bar once  a week.
  Food is very much the same price but I have noticed portions have halved.Hotels are just catering for the tour Chinese  and do not really give a hoot if you like their breakfast or not.
 I come and go  as  i have a house in Australia and frankly I find it cheaper to live at home.  I have come  for some Dental treatment  and that use to be 25%  of Australian prices now about 50% cheaper.
Yes people on a pension still stay here because they cannot go back to their country which is a terrible situation to be in. Some have gone to Cambodia or Vietnam to live which is marginally better.
   Not much positive to say but that is the truth of the matter.More to the point does the Government of the day really want us Farangs living here?i think they  see more value in the Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese tour groups  coming and going . Spending money on  island tours,  duty free shopping etc.Now they big push to sell condos to these groups which create employment. 
 We all know  who is missing out  on this pie but I am sure you smart Farangs know what I mean?

Where do you live in Oz? Is it vegemite that’s the same price? Mate I came from Melbourne and am constantly gloating about how cheap things are to my mates back in Oz. As for the government comment, does the LNP want anyone to stay in Oz?

6 minutes ago, singking said:

Where do you live in Oz? Is it vegemite that’s the same price? Mate I came from Melbourne and am constantly gloating about how cheap things are to my mates back in Oz. As for the government comment, does the LNP want anyone to stay in Oz?

I agree! My day to day budget is at most 2/3’s of what is was in Melbourne inc health insurances, utilities, food, beers, everything. 

There’s a ton of free entertainment here, vehicle running costs are next to nothing. Some days I’m lucky to spend more than $5aud on food (eating out twice). 

The beach isn’t a patch on St Kilda foreshore where I lived for 15 years and the exchange rate sucks about but gee, cheaper in Oz?? I doubt it 

On 9/16/2019 at 4:15 PM, jastheace said:

misses keeps leaving the tap on as well, hope your water bill is less than mine.

my misses often leaves her top off.    hmmmm,  how do i download photos ?

22 hours ago, jastheace said:

my thai neighbours , for some reason, stood on the blue supply pipe near the meter, and a leak followed. they did attempt to make good, and wrapped the spilt pipe up with Sellotape, bless them. wish i'd taken a picture of their repair. 50% amused, and 50% bemused at having to fork out 58 baht at homepro for bits to fix it. it's worth living in Thailand just for the entertainment. 555

Wait. And while you fixed it for the magnificent sum of about $1.75, they stood their and watched in awe, right?

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Wait. And while you fixed it for the magnificent sum of about $1.75, they stood their and watched in awe, right?

no. for $1.81 (exchange rate just changed) it was not worth the fuss obviously. like the 'minivan door opening on its own' (a news topic elsewhere on TV), it happened 'all on its own', and whilst I fixed it (work permit sought first before anyone gets a higher horse) they either hid, kept out the way, or weren't too bothered. TBH it wasn't that interesting. point is it was no big deal. no fuss. once job done and I was out of view, a crowd did gather, to inspect the work and various comments made between themselves.

I feel I must add, this was not the highlight of my 15 year stay in Thailand, before some expected comments ensue.

12 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I explain a little better. I live in Pattaya so I have all the fun and excitement on my doorstep but, I think I’d be lucky to get drunk once a month now. It’s just nice to have to option plus it’s nice to have friends flying in regularly otherwise I wouldn’t see them anywhere near as often.

I guess when you live next door to the devil you don’t feel the need to knock on his door too often. 

My gf is one of the good ones.  She’s easily the best Thai girl I’ve met in the 7 years I’ve been travelling round and living in Thailand. Doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, had 1 boyfriend before and she’s gainfully employed. 

Definitely thought long and hard about it but she’s been back to Oz to meet the fam and has been welcomed into my family, usually a tough gig. 

She’s smart, educated, self motivated, polite and gorgeous. What’s not to like!

I’ll definitely be staying happy and money conscious so thanks for your kind advice. Good things to you also ???????? 

nice post, thanks

I can relate to most of it. so that is why I am happy here to. the gf going home to meet fam, is a tough gig, too many pass judgement, wrongfully too, but good for you cobber !!!! all the best in the future to both yers.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:34 PM, bwpage3 said:

At the end of the day, every single one of you made the decision to move and live in Thailand.

How can you be bitter or unhappy with a choice you made all by yourself? Did not not think/plan the third world would change over the course of 20+ years?

By that logic, we should have all been happy with our original Brit wives.

Did we not think/plan the woman would change over the course of 20+ years?

My personal philosophy is to make a choice, good or bad, then hope I die before it all turns to pooh.

Failed once, but my second attempt seems to have a better chance of success.

How refreshing to hear a positive post about Thailand. Thai Visa seems to be dominated by people who aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

I alway say if you don't like it here and constantly complain then leave. To put it bluntly either put up or shut up. Lets have no more negative thoughts. We stay because we like it.

14 minutes ago, 30la said:

During the last 24 years here in Thailand I have never had the idea of calling it a sweet life, the situation has worsened in recent years!
Thailand is dangerous, full of restrictions and full of hatred and envy towards us!

Well I've lived here for over 12 years and I can't say that I consider it dangerous and full of hatred and envy towards us, because I just don't feel that at all.

Sure there are things that get "up my nose" like the poor infrastructure along with unfettered building which just goes to ensure that the infrastructure gets worse, and the sometimes stupidity of everyday "workings" here in Thailand.

Corruption is a pet hate of mine, however it is endemic, from top to bottom and nothing that I do will change this, so I try to ignore it.

In the main I am happy here and live my life as I want, going out on a daily basis for a wander around, a chat to the lovely girls in the shopping malls, perhaps a coffee with a friend or two and so on. Going out at night perhaps once a week (twice maximum) for a meal with friends and perhaps a singsong with a band is something I enjoy and don't want to change it. 

Having "my" Thai daughter in Phuket is a bonus and I enjoy some weekend lunches and shopping with her, although she will soon be off to Uni somewhere.

The Thai folk with whom I come into contact always give me a smile and a welcome and this especially from the motorbike taxi drivers who pick me up and take me home on my nights out, and they are nice guys who look out for my welfare, despite what others might say about motorbike taxi drivers etc.

The litmus test for me has been the times that I've been overseas to the likes of the UK, Australia and New Zealand and more close by, to Cambodia and Vietnam, and after being in these places for a week or two, I am keen to get back to Patong (and the vibrancy of the place) and on one occasion even bringing my flight forward to enable me to do so. 

Yes it has its downsides, but then again doesn't everywhere, and IMO it's how you view these things and how you overcome them that makes the place what it is and makes you what you are – – and for me, here, I am one happy camper!

We live in two different places, we have two points of view and certainly different experiences.
I'm not saying that living in Thailand is bad, it's certainly better than in many other countries including my own, Italy.
I live well here too, but I have to pay attention!
Thanks in any case for having given your opinion in a very civil way!

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I find that statement astonishing, suggesting that no matter how much money you have Thailand is the best place in the world to be. It demonstrates a remarkable lack of imagination. I'd retain a base here, but there are countless places infinitely better if you can afford it. But each to their own, and I'm happy that you are so contented where you are.

You only say that because you haven't been to some of the places I've been in LOS.

PS, not many people go to them, which is why they are wonderful. Too many people always ruin a place.

Archived