life in Thailand-still sweet?

jastheace

23 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

while I agree the base line of where you are coming from, to me, it's accepting that Thailand is not the easiest place to live, for expat or local, but that it has its compensations.  I disagree that there are no pressures here to have to deal with.  The driving is dangerous and stressful, the corruption is endemic, the officialdom is irritating and all are undeniable negatives. I agree that immigration is not a real issue once you get to grips with it. It's an 'on balance' judgement for me.  On Balance, I would rather be here than in my home country.  On balance, I am happy here in comparison to the alternatives.  But I don't kid myself that it's all wine and roses.  

I think the base differences we have between you and me are purely location based, you are city-mouse and me country-mouse ???? so I don't have the traffic/driving issues etc some of the pluses to being in the boonies.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Gosh....well I'd like to but I'm kinda marooned at the moment..????

IMG_8476.jpg

Up sheets creek without a paddle.  ( amereekan proverb)

But remember:  all things that go up will eventually come down  (water in this case)

Keep the humor  ????    

Its ok here i have my house its pretty much isolated 1 Km from beach and 6 Km from mountains on Burmese border and 15Km from nearest town so location is excellent.

Mrs is good, life is relaxed i avoid immigration and their problems enjoy the countrylife here despite being a city person and if i need to party i go to my old haunts in Bangkok.

Thai food never been my favourite so i do enjoy my UK life as well i do find my yearly visits there are getting longer each time

The culinary and beer ties are still binding  after 25 years away.

All in all ok at this time but i am always aware changes can or might be necessary

As others have already said, life is what you make of it.

Take me for example live out in deepest Issan, most locals perfectly ok, just a few younger ones, who rely on drugs, but sadly that is a problem all over the world.

I have limitations getting about, but if i get in difficulties many people step up to help, i try to make the best out of life.

Now there are some folk, who just have to moan about anything/ everything, poor me people next door parked outside my house, and i spat out the dummy and made a scene, hells teeth there is a pickup parked outside my gate now, who is it? dont know few meters along the road, there is building work going on, maybe from there, but what the hell they aint making problems.

5 hours ago, jastheace said:

how is it for you? I love it here, and despise comments especially on forums, just airing grievances, without any weight.

pls keep it positive guys....#

really fantastic. i am having the time of my life.

My "I Am Living the Life" topic was locked because of all the negative comments. So the Misery Zombies do win out in the end. Sad really. 

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

really fantastic. i am having the time of my life.

My "I Am Living the Life" topic was locked because of all the negative comments. So they do win out in the end. Sad really. 

They didn't 'win out', you are clearly 'winning' because you're having a fantastic time.

I think some people on here most probably have - as my Dad used to say:

"A face like a bulldog chewing a wasp" :laugh:

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Life here is very good. Once people learn to forget the happier they'll be. Yes, forget! stop making constant comparisons from wherever you came from, stop thinking in your home currency, stop trying to make here like there and wondering why it isn't and how you can change it.Enjoy the overall freedoms you have here, less rules regs etc, you have a great freedom here to do pretty much whatever you want. Life is uncomplicated there are no pressures here. Immigration is no real issue for me, 15 minutes each 90 days and 45 minutes once a year is no problem.

A lot of truth in what you say CharlieH, although I have to admit, now that the rain season is almost past us, I am getting a little anxious here in rural Isaan about the burning season, everything else I can get my head around with turning the negatives into positives, because as you and others have said, nowhere is perfect, but with young kids, the smoke can be really bad during the burning season, no where near Chiang Mai from what I have heard, but on occasions I have seen the school contributes to the already polluted air by burning plastics while the kids stand at assembly for 45 minutes. 

Naturally any parent would want their kids growing up with healthy lungs, that said, if people want to burn their rice and sugar cane fields and law enforcement just turning a blind eye to it, does nothing to put me at ease, but then again as we all know, one has to make up their own mind if they want to go back to a different environment where at least they know the air is crystal clear and law enforcement is not relaxed on burning anything, not even firing up a BBQ on balcony, (strata title).

It is what it is, not complaining just stating the fact, as obvious as it is, and Thailand is not my country, so as a guest, I have the choice to either suck it in, or exit, stage left...., this burning season will certainly be a real test for me, after enduring it for 4 years in a row, just saying.....and if I do part back to where I came from, I will have to readjust to all the negatives there, trying to turn them into positives, but at least I know what to expect from the air quality ????

love living here with my wife, I know many are now p*ssed at the govt and new regulations but it is a part of living here, every country makes regulations people dont like. I have no qualms about bitching about the roads/drivers/riders, police etc as I would do the same in Australia, just because we love living here doesnt mean we cant point out the <deleted> we see, does not change our opinion of the country and I definitely dont want to leave here or live somewhere else. I moved here to be with my wife, the love of my life so we could  grow old together, this fact alone makes everything else mute,  enjoying being here and  loving our lifestyle are all bonuses

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2 hours ago, fishtank said:

I hate it here.

It was very good until the (deleted) opposite turned his front yard into a work shop.

One (deleted) has  made my life totally miserable.

Happiness in LOS is not buying property, so one can move when the (deleted) opposite turned his front yard into a work shop.

That's been so as long as I've been visiting Thailand ( many decades ).

OP, yes, life was sweet when I spent holidays in LOS, and then I got married to a Thai girl and ruined it all.

Not for her I'd still be living the life I dreamed of.

5 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

the real world to me is recognizing everything that happens to you, be it positive or negative.

People these days seem to be blocking out negativity which creates delusion in the long term,

Not everything that happens in life (especially here) is positive.

To think in a positive way 24/7, no matter what adversity comes at you is delusional IMO.

And moaning too....

1 hour ago, kellersphuket said:

Do you live next door to immigration? 

Those time frames sound a little far fetched to me.

mine are the same. 5-10 minutes for 90 days reporting. one hour a year for retirement extention of stay. that is the sum total of all interaction with immigration. throw in travel time and a bank letter maybe 3 hours a year dealing with immigration. 

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Life here is very good. Once people learn to forget the happier they'll be. Yes, forget! stop making constant comparisons from wherever you came from, stop thinking in your home currency, stop trying to make here like there and wondering why it isn't and how you can change it.Enjoy the overall freedoms you have here, less rules regs etc, you have a great freedom here to do pretty much whatever you want. Life is uncomplicated there are no pressures here. Immigration is no real issue for me, 15 minutes each 90 days and 45 minutes once a year is no problem.

Disagree. I never forgot- when something irked me in LOS I just remembered what it was like in the other country and I felt happy again.

I constantly compared LOS to back home, as LOS was always better, which made me happy.

Other than immigration I had no problems- lived in a lovely hotel walking distance from Gekkos ( in Chiang Mai ) restaurant, the night market, the supermarket, the DVD guy, and there was a free shuttle to Airport Mall, so I never had to drive on the road.

All in all, life was as good as it gets, for me.

I only left because I couldn't afford medical insurance as well as living expenses, and no way I was living in LOS without insurance.

18 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I guess it depends on the day, the weather, the wife's mood, your mood, etc, etc, etc ????

44 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

A lot of truth in what you say CharlieH, although I have to admit, now that the rain season is almost past us, I am getting a little anxious here in rural Isaan about the burning season, everything else I can get my head around with turning the negatives into positives, because as you and others have said, nowhere is perfect, but with young kids, the smoke can be really bad during the burning season, no where near Chiang Mai from what I have heard, but on occasions I have seen the school contributes to the already polluted air by burning plastics while the kids stand at assembly for 45 minutes. 

Naturally any parent would want their kids growing up with healthy lungs, that said, if people want to burn their rice and sugar cane fields and law enforcement just turning a blind eye to it, does nothing to put me at ease, but then again as we all know, one has to make up their own mind if they want to go back to a different environment where at least they know the air is crystal clear and law enforcement is not relaxed on burning anything, not even firing up a BBQ on balcony, (strata title).

It is what it is, not complaining just stating the fact, as obvious as it is, and Thailand is not my country, so as a guest, I have the choice to either suck it in, or exit, stage left...., this burning season will certainly be a real test for me, after enduring it for 4 years in a row, just saying.....and if I do part back to where I came from, I will have to readjust to all the negatives there, trying to turn them into positives, but at least I know what to expect from the air quality ????

I here you and sympathise especially having children.

Perhaps if the air quality issue becomes too intolerable you could consider relocating within Thailand, I know thats not easy but surely would be preferable to "exit stage left" and more a case of "re-postion stage right" ????

All the best, cant be an easy decision either way, thats for sure.

Been here 15 years, 13 years married. Happy enough, life has its ups and downs, but that's the same anywhere. Having lived and worked in numerous countries over the last 40 years I recognise Thailand as being better than most. As others have said life is very much what you make of it, if you insist on dwelling on the negatives you're probably heading for an early grave. Better to focus on the positives, you'll enjoy life more and most likely live longer too.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

I here you and sympathise especially having children.

Perhaps if the air quality issue becomes too intolerable you could consider relocating within Thailand, I know thats not easy but surely would be preferable to "exit stage left" and more a case of "re-postion stage right" ????

All the best, cant be an easy decision either way, thats for sure.

Yes, thanks for that, been a thought in the back of my mind, probably Hua Hin or just outside of Phuket, near Karon/Kata/Nai Harn/Rawai, either way, no doubt it will be done by pulling straws, or little strips being pulled out a hat with the names of all the places we are considering, including back to Sydney ????

2 hours ago, thaibutty said:

I don't hate it here. But I don't love it either. It's become a boring normality to be here. If I wouldn't have a house, family and kids who go to school here I'd be long gone. I'd love to spent half my time away from Thailand, maybe somewhere in Southern Europe, to be able to appreciate the good sides of being in Thailand again, but given current circumstances that ain't gonna happen for the next decade or so.

Too many reports like this.

So, your family is a huge burden on your life and prevents you from doing what you truly want?

Sounds very very sad would not personally want to live my life in that manner.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I think the base differences we have between you and me are purely location based, you are city-mouse and me country-mouse ???? so I don't have the traffic/driving issues etc some of the pluses to being in the boonies.

Oh no no, sorry if I give that impression. I'm a country boy and live in the country here, well away from the two Cities that I live between.  It's 40 km from Pattaya and 30 km from Rayong. All I can hear are birds and of course, Mrs P talking to her Mum for hours at a time, but I blank that out after so many years of hearing it. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Too many reports like this.

So, your family is a huge burden on your life and prevents you from doing what you truly want?

Sounds very very sad would not personally want to live my life in that manner.

Condoms not diapers if you are over 45 is my recommendation or better yet get a vasectomy   

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

mine are the same. 5-10 minutes for 90 days reporting. one hour a year for retirement extention of stay. that is the sum total of all interaction with immigration. throw in travel time and a bank letter maybe 3 hours a year dealing with immigration. 

But "we"  are  lucky with our  local  office aren't we.

Archived