life in Thailand-still sweet?

jastheace

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been knocked for commenting on several topics of doom and gloom, where I post positive comments about life here, on what have been initially negative posts. I have been encouraged to start a new post. so.... positive thoughts please. I have been here for 15 years, times were GREAT then, but even with exchange rates and having to think forward about travel plans re tm30, overall life is cool here, if I wasn't happy, I wouldn't complain, I would just up sticks and go back to where I came from. LIFE IS STILL SWEET in this country. I see people who complain but still want to be here, I hear people threaten to go elsewhere, not their home country though, but still remain here.
how is it for you? I love it here, and despise comments especially on forums, just airing grievances, without any weight.
pls keep it positive guys....#

You have to wonder about the whinging, they usually go off on racist tangents as well? Why in the hell are they here?? Oh wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Ill let  my 91 year  old compulsive moaning Mother know that despite her  good  health with no  issues  at  all.

OK so there are some folks who are only happy when they're moaning.

I have no problem with the visa or the TM30, but only with the stupidity of people with university degrees (Thai) who cover a position in the bank and in other offices (including government offices), who are absolutely unable to do their work properly!

There are so many!

I've traveled to and through forty countries and have since lived in my wife's tiny, remote village for seven years. We're not affected by anything happening in government or in the bigger cities. It's still a nice, simple, affordable, peaceful life.

Two sayings that I've come up with:

1) I have nothing to do and I'm never bored.

2) I can't remember what I was afraid to miss.

I love it here.

Just moved to the Algarve, Portugal after 16 years in Thailand. Reason? Better schooling for our kids, safety, and being closer to family and friends in the UK. Weather is great, food is great, locals are friendly, loads to do, relatively cheap too. Still have a business in Thailand and work online, albeit much less.

Do i hate Thailand? No. Is it the same place it was 16 years ago? No, its changed for the worse in my opinion. We will still visit twice a year and possibly live there again in the future, its just not the right place for us at the moment.

Portugal is a lovely country.

9 hours ago, jastheace said:

I have been encouraged to start a new post. so.... positive thoughts please.

Unhappy people and empty barrels tend to make the most noise. Sort of like the ratio of negative news coverage generally compared to good news anywhere.

I've had a home here for over twenty years, about 10 years for 3 or 4 months a year and twelve years full time. Life anywhere, especially as one deals with age-related issues, has its ups and downs, but all things considered I feel happy and comfortable here . No desire to move elsewhere.

i find the accusation that I am, or other positive people are, wearing rose colored glasses to be strange. I think I viewed and continue to view Thailand through realistic lenses. Those who had some rosy, unrealistic specs on when they decided to settle here are the ones who are cranky and moan about everything that doesn't live up to their childish Disneyland expectations. Not everything is perfect, but this often repeated claim that "they" don't want "us" here speaks more about those complaining than anything I've experienced with Thai people or Thai officialdom.

is life here still sweet. The only problems I have are age related. Things would be sweeter if my body was still 30 years old despite my age, but I can't blame that issue on Thais or Thailand. So I'd say life in Thailand is sweeter than it would be anywhere else.

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you want to stay positive, surround yourself with positive people.

I wouldn't swap my life in Thailand for anywhere else. If I won a large lottery prize, that statement would not change.

Agree 100%. I love it here. I may have said before that my income is still in GBP which is a bit of a bummer but I'd still rather live in this sweet country than the sour, bitter UK

A word on surrounding yourself with positive people...use the ignore function! Weed out the naysayers with their inane comments and this forum becomes a much nicer place. Good thread.

No

Not still sweet for me.

Already in a place I like more and will reduce my Thailand time.

Let me see

Better food.

Better infrastructure including electricity & water supply, better internet

Better roads.

No soi dogs, in fact no stray dogs.

Better medical facilities.

Pedestrian crossing rules are obeyed.

Excess noise after a certain time not permitted.

Friendlier people.

Not in anyway a moan about Thailand, just fancy spending some of my time in a place I prefer and consider superior for the things I regard as important.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems many people need something to complain about. Maybe the neighbors, the laws, the traffic, the food, whatever.

And when those people move to somewhere else they will still complain.

Because when they complain they basically want to say: I would be happy if this and that would be true.

But they are never happy. So if anything gets better and they could be happier they will sure find another reason why they are not happy.

I try to avoid those people.

Sure for all of us there are real challenges from time to time. We can complain, accept what can't be changed, or try to change what can be changed. It's our choice.

Maybe a little look at Buddhist teachings would help some?

15 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

40 years in Thailand. Some ups and serious downs along the way but still happy here. Wonderful wife who is a great cook, super loyal,  and whom I dearly love. 

stop it, you're bringing tears to my eyes..............

Lets stop  kidding ourselves how wonderful this place is. Australian dollar has lost  a third to the baht. I have friends who buy beer at the 7/7 store and sit  out the front and drink. Other friends who only go to the bar once  a week.

Food is very much the same price but I have noticed portions have halved.Hotels are just catering for the tour Chinese  and do not really give a hoot if you like their breakfast or not.

I come and go  as  i have a house in Australia and frankly I find it cheaper to live at home.  I have come  for some Dental treatment  and that use to be 25%  of Australian prices now about 50% cheaper.

Yes people on a pension still stay here because they cannot go back to their country which is a terrible situation to be in. Some have gone to Cambodia or Vietnam to live which is marginally better.

Not much positive to say but that is the truth of the matter.More to the point does the Government of the day really want us Farangs living here?i think they  see more value in the Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese tour groups  coming and going . Spending money on  island tours,  duty free shopping etc.Now they big push to sell condos to these groups which create employment. 

We all know  who is missing out  on this pie but I am sure you smart Farangs know what I mean?

My Thai partner and I have been here 9 years.  We landed in Thailand when he had visa problems in the US and had to leave.  The plan was to eventually get the visa problems sorted and move back to the US but it turns out we have a much better life here than we would in America.  So, here we happily stay.

Good to see a positive post. ????. People will whine wherever they are. If it’s not TM 30s it’s the queues at the airport or the price of wine. You are in control of your life, either change it ( ie leave) or put up with it and stop spreading negativity.

Again good up beat post. 

First came to Far East Japan 1966, then VN, then Thailand, Laos, Mayanmar, and Philippines and have lived here from that time until now appr 40 years, primarily in the Philippines 8 years and Thailand 25 years.  If I didn't like the life here I wouldn't have retired here in Thailand 15 years ago. 

I speak the language well enough to go anywhere and chat with just about Thai.  I love the food here in Thailand, love that there is no snow/ice, no really big storms (Typhoon), no really strong earthquakes, no volcano eruptions, and like hot weather as opposed to cold weather so Thailand suits me very well.

During my life as an adult, I spent almost all my time in foreign countries and kept a log of the goods and bads of each, planning on where I would retire.  The Philippines would have been first choice as I was a avid scuba diver previously but they have all of the negatives too except no cold weather/snow. Also their food just didn't suit me that well as it seemed a combination of Spanish w/traditional Filipino.  I really like the filipino people and enjoyed golf there very much as it was really cheap. 

Thailand when I first came here 45 years ago was also very very cheap and undeveloped.  The people were great and went out of their way to welcome me wherever I went.  Traffic in Bangkok only was really bad but as there were fewer cars outside the city it was okay.  I retired in Bangkok 15 years ago, and then totally fed up with the traffic/pollution moved to Chiang Mai.  Now the traffic multiplies almost monthly with very aggressive drivers who lack driving skills and too many motorcycles running amok on the roads. 

Everything else good about Thailand still remains here in the north except for the traffic and the air pollution during the winter/spring months.  We found a great intl school (CMIS) preparing my child for US college.  Some of the previous students are currently enrolled in the best colleges in the US.  Therefore, I will remain here until my child finishes HS, then will move back to the US to help her integrate into the society there.

If I was there, I would be getting free HS but think CMIS is worth the 15KUSD a year with classrooms of 15 or less.  My child currently is studying 4 languages (all with different alphabets) and wants to begin a 5th language.  In the US this would be cost prohibitive even if I could find the teachers where we would be living.  Our lives are not into the rat race as it would be in the US although some things would be cheaper food wise except for Thai foods which would be more expensive than here. 

I still think this is a great place to raise my child.  Autos are approx 30-50 percent cheaper in the US while housing is higher.  Gasoline is cheaper than here too.  But overall, living there would be just as expensive/cheap as here depending on lifestyle.  Hope this wasn't too drawn out!

Archived