life in Thailand-still sweet?

jastheace

1 hour ago, jastheace said:

my misses keeps leaving the tap on as well, hope your water bill is less than mine.

Your'e  lucky my Thai neighbours  stole the water meter 3  times so  far in 7  years,  but then I  thought  positive and realised that I  wouldn't be paying for all that water pissing down the road.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s good to hear so many positive attitudes about where people live. That is as it should be. I came to Thailand to take care of my father in law. Built a house and now that he has passed, I want to go back home but can not sell the house. Different strokes for different folks.

At the end of the day, every single one of you made the decision to move and live in Thailand.

How can you be bitter or unhappy with a choice you made all by yourself? Did not not think/plan the third world would change over the course of 20+ years?

Change is inevitable and in the third world it is quite unpredictable.

Is life sweet? No it isn't. If it was, you would be welcomed to live there, allowed to own land, no VISA hurdles. The same right and benefits as every other country affords Thai's that move there.

Anything can happen at any time.

Best not to be set on your "sweet" laurels and always have a plan.

That way you will always be covered.

My first ever visit in Thailand was in Isaan, near Bueng Kan on the banks if the Mekong. I fell in love with that province and its people. Fell madly in love with one if their women too. She eventually dumped me, but that’s another story. If I could finish my life somewhere (am only 69), that would be the place. 

4 minutes ago, Jean Marie said:

My first ever visit in Thailand was in Isaan, near Bueng Kan on the banks if the Mekong. I fell in love with that province and its people. Fell madly in love with one if their women too. She eventually dumped me, but that’s another story. If I could finish my life somewhere (am only 69), that would be the place. 

who's holding you from going back....we only live once, go for it, maybe now she will take you back

47 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

At the end of the day, every single one of you made the decision to move and live in Thailand.

How can you be bitter or unhappy with a choice you made all by yourself? Did not not think/plan the third world would change over the course of 20+ years?

Change is inevitable and in the third world it is quite unpredictable.

Is life sweet? No it isn't. If it was, you would be welcomed to live there, allowed to own land, no VISA hurdles. The same right and benefits as every other country affords Thai's that move there.

Anything can happen at any time.

Best not to be set on your "sweet" laurels and always have a plan.

That way you will always be covered.

As far as I know, it has never been lawful for a foreigner to buy land in Thailand.

If that's one of the things that sours you, then perhaps a bit of research before

arrival would be useful. Far better than moaning about it later.

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

Your'e  lucky my Thai neighbours  stole the water meter 3  times so  far in 7  years,  but then I  thought  positive and realised that I  wouldn't be paying for all that water pissing down the road.

my thai neighbours , for some reason, stood on the blue supply pipe near the meter, and a leak followed. they did attempt to make good, and wrapped the spilt pipe up with Sellotape, bless them. wish i'd taken a picture of their repair. 50% amused, and 50% bemused at having to fork out 58 baht at homepro for bits to fix it. it's worth living in Thailand just for the entertainment. 555

3 hours ago, globalspark said:

Let's stop kidding ourselves how wonderful  this place is. Australian dollar has lost  a third to the baht. I have friends who buy beer at the 7/7 store and sit  out the front and drink. Other friends who only go to the bar once  a week.

Ah yes, "the 7/7 store. Sitting out the front."  Sad.

So the Aus dollar has sunk and you and your skint friends can't drink as much. Maybe you're kidding yourself if you think most people are struggling to stretch their shrinking, inadequate budget to cover a constant flow of booze. 

Start a GoFundMe appeal. Your heartbreaking tale will undoubtedly bring out the contributions.

"Only go to the bar once a week." Really wrenching to hear about the suffering in our midst. Who knew? Life in Thailand, hey. 

Just now, Chazar said:

If you want it positive why ask the question as if  its  open to all replies?

life in Thailand-still sweet?

He is merely trying to justify his staying in Thailand.

For some it might be great, for others not so.

Some have other options/homes, others do not.

There seems to be a lot of 'Thailand is great " posts.

Some are stuck here.

My life here is fantastic. I live in a nice condo near the beach. Quiet area but only 5mins from party central. I’ve got a fantastic girlfriend that I’m doin to marry. Never thought would happen. Finnancially I’m set for the foreseeable future. 

I have not had, nor do I hope to have any issues with visas/reporting/immigration. I love Thai food and the vast difference in cuisine from around the world and the cost of living is 2/3s of back home. 

Whats nit yo like?!

6 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Can an adult man seriously claim "I am happy"? All of us have good and bad moments. But being happy for 15 years in a row... I find an OP post to be provocative. Or he is gay.

Weird post! Yep I'm happy...constantly. Happy to be in a lovely country with lovely weather and a lovely wife who loves me. Away from the miserable weather, women and woes of the UK

ps...not gay.  ????

6 minutes ago, dode57k said:

Weird post! Yep I'm happy...constantly. Happy to be in a lovely country with lovely weather and a lovely wife who loves me. Away from the miserable weather, women and woes of the UK

ps...not gay.  ????

Ok, good for you

8 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Can an adult man seriously claim "I am happy"? All of us have good and bad moments in our life. But being happy for 15 years in a row... I find an OP post to be provocative. Or he is gay.

no, I am not gay. would it matter if I was ?

i came to Thailand a few times on holiday, then decided I wanted to spend 5 - 10 years of my life here. I made arrangements to be able to do that. I maintain ties to my country of origin, and can return to start afresh with relative ease. maybe this takes some of the stress away that others seem to have, ie, others may have completely up rooted to make Thailand their home, and invested their resources here to make that happen. I have now been here 15 years, and although can not say how much longer I will be here, I fear that date is approaching. I do not want to leave, and although my life here has had ups and downs, on the whole, I regard my experience as being positive. Thailand has been a significant part of my life, and I wouldn't change that for all the tea in china. I had to adapt, make a few changes along the, particularly regarding the financial side of things.

so, yes, life for me is still cool. 

To be honest, Thailand has lost a lot of it's magic for me but not enough for me to leave it. If I will try to explain (in my bad English) what still keeps me in Thailand, I would say it is its relaxed (ancient and authentic) atmosphere mixed with everything modern world has to offer. Usually you get only one of these, never the mix. Thailand is an exception.

23 hours ago, Tagged said:

I have just a few words to say, life is good, and the reason is

Cash is the king!

As long you got money, you have very few worries. But I understand those who came here 10 years ago or so, with their state pention, now having problems to enjoy Thailand. 

yep... life is good having lots of ca$h….. even better being single & renting & having lots of ca$h… can go anywhere, anytime! 

17 hours ago, mr_lob said:

being closer to family and friends in the UK.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but I have to wonder why anyone that thinks they are important would choose to live in LOS, thousands of miles from family and friends?

IMO one chooses to give up family and friends and make a new life, if one wishes to live in LOS. 

I lost almost all my friends while living overseas, but that was a price I was prepared to pay for the privilege of living in a country that was better ( for me ) than where I came from, and I have no regrets.

9 hours ago, dode57k said:

Happy to be in a lovely country with lovely weather and a lovely wife who loves me. Away from the miserable weather, women and woes of the UK

You lucky guy you.

I had all that except for the lovely wife, and that was my mistake. Oh well. 

PS She was lovely in the beginning.

38 minutes ago, Nemises said:

yep... life is good having lots of ca$h….. even better being single & renting & having lots of ca$h… can go anywhere, anytime! 

Im still happy being two, where we build trust and a future together, After been on and off relationships all my life, I really do enjoy having one by my side to grow old togehter. 

On 9/16/2019 at 5:51 AM, Lacessit said:

I wouldn't swap my life in Thailand for anywhere else. If I won a large lottery prize, that statement would not change.

I find that statement astonishing, suggesting that no matter how much money you have Thailand is the best place in the world to be. It demonstrates a remarkable lack of imagination. I'd retain a base here, but there are countless places infinitely better if you can afford it. But each to their own, and I'm happy that you are so contented where you are.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I find that statement astonishing, suggesting that no matter how much money you have Thailand is the best place in the world to be. It demonstrates a remarkable lack of imagination. I'd retain a base here, but there are countless places infinitely better if you can afford it. But each to their own, and I'm happy that you are so contented where you are.

What would change if you won the lottery? 

Change of personality? Or change of lifestyle? 

I do not think my life would change much from today actually, and Im not rich, but I have enough for a decent life. The only thing that would change, I would invest in my home country, make sure I had a decent base there if <deleted> hits the fan in Thailand, and maybe buy a condo here in Thailand on the beach. I can not think of other countries I would live in, even with more cash handy. 

Im not especially interesed in Europe or S-America, but those is an option, if <deleted> hits the fan in Thailand, and we have to leave because of happenings out of our control. War, etc

48 minutes ago, Tagged said:

What would change if you won the lottery? 

Change of personality? Or change of lifestyle? 

I do not think my life would change much from today actually, and Im not rich, but I have enough for a decent life. The only thing that would change, I would invest in my home country, make sure I had a decent base there if <deleted> hits the fan in Thailand, and maybe buy a condo here in Thailand on the beach. I can not think of other countries I would live in, even with more cash handy. 

Im not especially interesed in Europe or S-America, but those is an option, if <deleted> hits the fan in Thailand, and we have to leave because of happenings out of our control. War, etc

Change of lifestyle for me. I too would buy a condo on the beach, but not in Thailand. Australia, probably.

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Too many reports like this.

So, your family is a huge burden on your life and prevents you from doing what you truly want?

Sounds very very sad would not personally want to live my life in that manner.

No, my family is not a huge burden to me. 
But as a family father you have to decide what it's best for everyone in the family not only for yourself. And at the moment it is best for us to stay where we are although I personally would prefer to live somewhere else. 

My life isn't sad at all, I have a great family, good friends here in Thailand, earn enough to support a good lifestyle and keep myself busy with various activities. Despite all of this I still can't say that I love living here. It's ok, but for me personally there are a few too many annoyances or missing ingredients in order to be truly great. But this is only my personal pov. I can understand everyone who loves it here. 

14 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Quiet area but only 5mins from party central. I’ve got a fantastic girlfriend that I’m doin to marry.

So you like to party, and now you will marry your girlfriend.  ( not my goal, but seems to work for 50% of people)

Life doesn't get any sweeter - eh?

Think this through about 100 times before you commit.  

Marriage and "party central" do not usually co-exist

Stay free, stay happy, and don't spend all your money in one place  - Happy trails sir

Archived