Turkey says Israel becoming 'racist, apartheid regime' with annexation plan

webfact

Turkey says Israel becoming 'racist, apartheid regime' with annexation plan

2019-09-15T161417Z_1_LYNXMPEF8E0L1_RTROPTP_4_TURKEY-LATVIA.JPG

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu attends a news conference in Riga, Latvia May 16, 2019. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins

ANKARA (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's announcement of his intention to annex areas of the West Bank following next week's elections shows Israel is becoming a "racist, apartheid regime", Turkey's foreign minister was quoted as saying on Sunday.

Netanyahu said on Tuesday he would annex the Jordan Valley, a swathe of the occupied West Bank that Israel captured in 1967 and which Palestinians want as part of a future state. The move alarmed Middle Eastern nations, European powers and Arab foreign ministers.

On Saturday, Turkey's foreign ministry said the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) would convene in Jeddah on Sunday to discuss Netanyahu's statement.

Speaking in Jeddah, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Netanyahu's "embarrassing" plan was a "despicable" attempt to earn votes ahead of Tuesday's election, and criticised what he called a lack of reaction from other Muslim countries.

"Israel, encouraged by the support of certain countries, is continuing its aggressive policies that are turning it into a racist, apartheid regime," Cavusoglu was quoted as saying by the state-run Anadolu news agency.

"If the whole Muslim community had reacted together, the reckless plans, policies and behaviour of the United States and Israel would never have reached this point," Cavusoglu said.

Around 65,000 Palestinians and 11,000 Israeli settlers live in the Jordan Valley and northern Dead Sea area, the Israeli human rights group B'Tselem says. The main Palestinian city is Jericho, with some 28 villages and smaller Bedouin communities.

Turkey and Israel, former allies, have long been at odds over Israel's policy towards the Palestinians and Jerusalem's status. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan called for a summit of the OIC twice last year after U.S. President Donald Trump decided to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Turkey and Israel also expelled each other's top diplomats last year during a dispute over clashes when dozens of Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces on the Gaza border. The two sides continue to trade with one another.

(Reporting by Tuvan Gumrukcu; Editing by Dale Hudson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-16

No kidding

Israel might be an "apartheid regime" but coming from a country that exterminated and ethnically cleared by massacre, your criticism loses some force. Maybe you could give them some hints on how to deal with the Palestinians,  as your clearing of Armenians and the Greeks from your country stands as the standard, Mevlut?!

Humm... invasion and occupation of north Cyprus, the Armenian genocide, onslaught of Kurdish people purging and imprisoning of thousands of Turkeys elite society army and police who dare to revolt against Erdogan just to nak a few and they have the audacity to criticise israel...  

5 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Humm... invasion and occupation of north Cyprus, the Armenian genocide, onslaught of Kurdish people purging and imprisoning of thousands of Turkeys elite society army and police who dare to revolt against Erdogan just to nak a few and they have the audacity to criticise israel...  

Its still the truth

2 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Turkey's opinion on anything is worthless. A once democratic country but now a basket case and almost bankrupt country run by a despotic megalomaniac who goes by the name of Erdogan....

I have a Turkish buddy here in the USA who has a Thai wife.  Great guy, good engineer who has been here maybe 25 years or so.  He's like family to us.  I don't even talk with him about the old country or politics, as he would just shake his head. He has no love lost for the rag head folks. Damned shame.

14 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I have a Turkish buddy here in the USA who has a Thai wife.  Great guy, good engineer who has been here maybe 25 years or so.  He's like family to us.  I don't even talk with him about the old country or politics, as he would just shake his head. He has no love lost for the rag head folks. Damned shame.

You might find this article interesting. Certain comments have a familiar ring.

"Erdoğan needs the support of some 23 million voters to keep monopolising the state"

"Thus, his strategy is to create a new economic model where the state is expected to be the major agent in distributing national wealth in a special way to secure those 21-23 million voters".

https://ahvalnews.com/economic-crisis/how-turkeys-economic-crisis-will-end

Israel might be many things. Some of which are certainly deplorable. Much of the criticism it receives is well deserved.

That said, it's hard to ignore the irony of such commentary coming from Turkey - as was already addressed by several posts.

Describing Netanyahu's statement as a despicable attempt to earn votes ahead of Tuesday's election is fair enough. Leaving out that there were plenty of similar reactions within Israel, or that Netanyahu's move was countered by Attorney General, IDF Chief of Staff, and heads of other security services is a choice.

I think most Arab countries are well aware of Netanyahu's ways when facing a closely contested elections, and his reputation for not delivering elections promises. At the same time, they all have more pressing issues to deal with - so the relatively mild responses are to be expected.

Erdogan, facing mounting economic problems, an apparent stalemate in Syria and a somewhat livelier opposition, simply sends out one of his lackeys for the spin job. For reference, last week it was threats to flood Europe with refugees, again.

I think this article is pertinent to the issues at hand concerning Israel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/there-definitely-wont-be-a-two-state-solution-if-netanyahu-wins-reelection/2019/09/15/a28bd1a6-d566-11e9-9343-40db57cf6abd_story.html

Opinions

If Netanyahu wins Israel’s election, the Mideast doomsayers may finally be proved right

September 15 at 7:41 PM

For 30 years and more, one faction of Mideast mavens has been arguing that it is too late for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, because of Israel’s relentless seeding of Jewish settlements in the Arab territories it has occupied since 1967. Most of the U.S. diplomatic establishment has resisted the argument, which often has relied more on emotion — including anti-Israel animus — than hard data.

That may be about to change. 

-----
As far as Turkey they don't have any credibility to criticize other countries.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, Morch said:

Israel might be many things. Some of which are certainly deplorable. Much of the criticism it receives is well deserved.

That said, it's hard to ignore the irony of such commentary coming from Turkey - as was already addressed by several posts.

Describing Netanyahu's statement as a despicable attempt to earn votes ahead of Tuesday's election is fair enough. Leaving out that there were plenty of similar reactions within Israel, or that Netanyahu's move was countered by Attorney General, IDF Chief of Staff, and heads of other security services is a choice.

The chief point isn't that there is still opposition to what Netanyahu is touting. It's that what not so long ago would have been considered anathema to all but the most extreme portion of the electorate is now a mainstream position and considered an electoral plus. Israel keeps on moving further and further towards the right. The younger the members of the electorate, the more right wing they are. They are Israel's future. 

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The chief point isn't that there is still opposition to what Netanyahu is touting. It's that what not so long ago would have been considered anathema to all but the most extreme portion of the electorate is now a mainstream position and considered an electoral plus. Israel keeps on moving further and further towards the right. The younger the members of the electorate, the more right wing they are. They are Israel's future. 

And with lots of support from Trump it's getting worse all the time.

israel acts in selfdefense to protect its people against muslim terror. in fact israel is the only

democracy surrounded by islam terror regimes.turkey is a muslim nation which commited already

genocide of 2 million christians. muslim turkey  like most muslims want to annihilate israel with its jewish people in line with quaran recommendation.

wbr

roobaa01

3 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

israel acts in selfdefense to protect its people against muslim terror. in fact israel is the only

democracy surrounded by islam terror regimes.turkey is a muslim nation which commited already

genocide of 2 million christians. muslim turkey  like most muslims want to annihilate israel with its jewish people in line with quaran recommendation.

wbr

roobaa01

The annexation proposal referred to doesn't have much to do with protecting Israel's people from "Muslim terror". That you need to co-opt any half-related topic to push your Islamophobic rubbish narrative is regretful.

Turkey is not in a good position to talk. Their history is horrific and their record is poor. But, what they are saying is the truth. israel has fallen off a cliff, when it comes to the principals the nation was founded upon. It is a pale shadow of what it used to be, and Netanyahu is a hater, a bigot, a racist and a warmonger. He is one of the world's most dangerous men. And his nation is becoming a true modern day apartheid nation. Shame on Israel. Shame on the American jews and the US government, who continue to support their extremist policies. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Turkey is not in a good position to talk. Their history is horrific and their record is poor. But, what they are saying is the truth. israel has fallen off a cliff, when it comes to the principals the nation was founded upon. It is a pale shadow of what it used to be, and Netanyahu is a hater, a bigot, a racist and a warmonger. He is one of the world's most dangerous men. And his nation is becoming a true modern day apartheid nation. Shame on Israel. Shame on the American jews and the US government, who continue to support their extremist policies. 

Shame on those who single out American Jews for the blame.

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Shame on those who single out American Jews for the blame.

Well, as an American jew, I think I am in a reasonable position to speak of such support. I do know some who are speaking out against Israeli extremism. But, not many. And yes, shame on those who do not, and continue to blindly support racist policy. 

When I grew up, I was taught tolerance and acceptance by my folks. Not the kind of crazy race hating that is going on now. Judge a man by who he is, and what he does. Not the color of his skin. 

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, as an American jew, I think I am in a reasonable position to speak of such support. I do know some who are speaking out against Israeli extremism. But, not many. And yes, shame on those who do not, and continue to blindly support racist policy. 

When I grew up, I was taught tolerance and acceptance by my folks. Not the kind of crazy race hating that is going on now. Judge a man by who he is, and what he does. Not the color of his skin. 

Nonsense. Just being an alleged member of a group doesn't mean you possess the knowledge to speak authoritatively about it. In fact, as polls show, American jews are far more sceptical about Israeli policy than, say Evangelical Christians, who outnumber them by about 20 to 1. Given that American Jews vote overwhelmingly Democratic, and it's the Republicans who are the most supportive of Netanyahu's policies, only makes your analysis even weaker.

5 hours ago, Morch said:

The annexation proposal referred to doesn't have much to do with protecting Israel's people from "Muslim terror". That you need to co-opt any half-related topic to push your Islamophobic rubbish narrative is regretful.

You want to know where to put your Islamic pity.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:09 PM, spidermike007 said:

Although you had the luxury of being bought up surrounded by people who didnt want you to leave the land that you were living on , make the USA non existent and killing you in order to achieve those aims .

Israel doesnt have the luxury of being able to treat the Palestinians the way the USA treated the American Indians

just a line to remind him/Turkey government ...

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones and further thought the self-righteous scream judgments against others to hide the noise of skeletons dancing in their own closets.

I would like to see Netanyahu annex area C. The charade of a 2 state solution would then be over. It would focus the world's attention on what Israel has now formally become. Israel wants the land but not the people who already live there. With Israel's new borders completely enclosing and including almost 3 million indigenous Palestinians who are subject to segregated laws yet have no civil rights or say in how they are governed simply because of their race/religion, it looks exactly what Turkey's Foreign Minister called it in the OP.. "a racist apartheid regime."

With the PA obsolete and hopefully a new younger leadership, the struggle will then enter a new phase for one man one vote. I think Netanyahu is about to shoot Zionism in the foot. A single state is inevitable anyway. I thought it would take decades, but Netanyahu is hastening the process with Trump cheerleading. It's like watching a regime change train crash in slow motion.

Archived