Very annoying video ads

madmitch

I've recently started getting videos appearing in the bottom righ side of the TV webpage. Most I just click on the X but some are appearing with no means of closing without leaving the page or even the site.

Whilst appreciating that ads are needed to keep sites like this afloat do they really have to be so obtrusive?

This, coupled with the increasing number of topics immediately locked, is making TV a less attractive/interesting site,

On 9/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, toofarnorth said:

I get ads down the right hand side , not vids but several ones saying different people want a date with me .  Why joe wants to date a 72 yo bloke I can't fathom . Sue might be better but I expect she lives a 1000k away .

Take a bus. ????

in my case, when the ads appear I'm unable to use my mouse to move the curser to a new location when writing a post.  Rather, the curser moves, but when I click on it with it in a certain position and start typing, the words just appear where it was previously.  The only way to navigate around the post, and go back to edit miss-spellings etc as it's being written is by using the arrow keys, which is a pain in the butt at times.  Anyone else seen this?

why web designers and web marketing people think that by making their web sites/pages more annoying they will make the site more popular and/or increase sales is beyond me. but hey, maybe i'm just living in the past and these new fangled ways are just what people want these days.

just because you can do something it doesn't always make it a good idea to actually do it.

I decided to try and do something about it after my previous post, so I went into my browser (Microsoft Edge) settings and blocked all media autoplay.  I haven't seen a video ad since.  For sites where I do want videos to start automatically, such as YouTube, I can set them as exceptions to the rule individually.  Fingers crossed that I have seen the last of these ads.

I tried that too ballpoint and it was better for a day I think and then slowly got worse.  I also find it horrible.  It pops up, blocks a lot of my iPad, then makes the screen jump around, like it has to reset everything in a new place, every 20 or 30 seconds for some reason.  Can’t always click it shut, it is a sneaky trick, sometimes you can ...but sometimes no.  But who wants to do that every 30 freaking SECONDS????  Even if you get it shut, it will come back in 30 seconds ...unfreaking believable ....then showing me nonstop videos of craft projects that make me want to kill myself!!!  Over and over and over like I’m in a mental institution.  Do I need to see the same frame being made 500 times a day??

I spent a large portion of one day looking for other solutions ..nothing is working so far.  I have never complained once in all these years....but this is too much.  It makes my iPad not practical for this ...haven’t tried it on laptop or desktop yet.

Oh and while I was writing this, a problem occurred and my page <deleted> out, and reload ...that happens every time I try to write a post too, then I lose the post and have to get it back!!!  Fun!!!

After more than a week of no video ads, I decided to try allowing media autoplay in Edge again, just to confirm if blocking it was responsible for them going away.  Sure enough, they came back.  Blocked media autoplay again, and now no more video ads again.

Owners of TV gotta get their revenue up somehow, anyhow, any which way but loose.

This forum has always been commercially driven to the detriment of quality moderation, neutral posts and topics.

It has always had agendas and "advertorials".

It will only get worse. IMHO.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, madmitch said:

I've recently started getting videos appearing in the bottom righ side of the TV webpage. Most I just click on the X but some are appearing with no means of closing without leaving the page or even the site.

On 9/23/2019 at 5:35 PM, amykat said:

I spent a large portion of one day looking for other solutions ..nothing is working so far.  I have never complained once in all these years....but this is too much.  It makes my iPad not practical for this ...haven’t tried it on laptop or desktop yet.

Stick to the Support Desk Forum.

These annoying video adds don't pop up on this forum.

Wonder why?

On 9/16/2019 at 4:25 PM, ballpoint said:

I decided to try and do something about it after my previous post, so I went into my browser (Microsoft Edge) settings and blocked all media autoplay.  I haven't seen a video ad since.  For sites where I do want videos to start automatically, such as YouTube, I can set them as exceptions to the rule individually.  Fingers crossed that I have seen the last of these ads.

This problem was beginning to REALLY get up my nose, so thanks for sharing. I've just made the same setting and, fingers crossed, that should fix it.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:02 PM, ballpoint said:

in my case, when the ads appear I'm unable to use my mouse to move the curser to a new location when writing a post.  Rather, the curser moves, but when I click on it with it in a certain position and start typing, the words just appear where it was previously.  The only way to navigate around the post, and go back to edit miss-spellings etc as it's being written is by using the arrow keys, which is a pain in the butt at times.  Anyone else seen this?

Yes, I can confirm this.

It seems clicking with the right mouse button works - at least most of the time.

But that is obviously only a workaround and not a solution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 6:51 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, I can confirm this.

It seems clicking with the right mouse button works - at least most of the time.

But that is obviously only a workaround and not a solution.

Doesn't work for me. 

Has to be a TVF thing as doesn't happen elsewhere.

Please, whoever decided this atrocious intrusion was acceptable STOP IT.

Why should I have to close the site and go back on again just because someone thought it a good idea to annoy the <deleted> out of us?

An I holding my breath common sense will prevail- no!

The site is horrible already as we have to wait for everything to load up every time we click on anything, and now we have this awful situation. Enough already.

I hope someone from forum support is actually reading this thread.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't work for me. 

Has to be a TVF thing as doesn't happen elsewhere.

Please, whoever decided this atrocious intrusion was acceptable STOP IT.

Why should I have to close the site and go back on again just because someone thought it a good idea to annoy the <deleted> out of us?

An I holding my breath common sense will prevail- no!

The site is horrible already as we have to wait for everything to load up every time we click on anything, and now we have this awful situation. Enough already.

I hope someone from forum support is actually reading this thread.

I'll repeat what I said a few days ago and, hopefully I'll catch a few more folks attention.

I switched to using Crome Browser about a week ago when visiting TVF. So far, fingers crossed I've had no further issues with video pop-ups nor a lot of other intensive interference I was having with my browsing experience.

In fact, Crome proudly announces how many pop ups and videos it has blocked! I'm beginning to rather like Crome now.

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I'll repeat what I said a few days ago and, hopefully I'll catch a few more folks attention.

I switched to using Crome Browser about a week ago when visiting TVF. So far, fingers crossed I've had no further issues with video pop-ups nor a lot of other intensive interference I was having with my browsing experience.

In fact, Crome proudly announces how many pop ups and videos it has blocked! I'm beginning to rather like Crome now.

Oh silly me! I know it's not cool to quote ones own message, but I made a silly mistake last night.

I meant to say OPERA, not Crome! TVF runs very well on Opera Browser. Sorry for any confusion.

Have a good weekend folks.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:08 PM, samsensam said:

why web designers and web marketing people think that by making their web sites/pages more annoying they will make the site more popular and/or increase sales is beyond me. but hey, maybe i'm just living in the past and these new fangled ways are just what people want these days.

just because you can do something it doesn't always make it a good idea to actually do it.

Because when people often missclick to close an ads it generate a click. It's all about click. I agree TV has the most annoying ads of all the website I use and for this reason I installed Brave on my phone to deal with it. I think overloading a site with adds is an older flawed model and will disappear in favor of other less intrusive models. 

Screenshot_20191020_060539_com.brave.browser.jpg

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That &%^&%$%$^%$^%$^% video ad is still annoying the ^*%^%*^%*^%* out of me, and others, I'm sure.

I'm referring to the ones that don't have an x in the corner to remove them.

Why can't anything be done about it?

Does anyone from forum support even read these threads???????

Most of the time these website use a ads agency. The ads are displayed according to some algorithms and even the agency has no idea which ads will play where and when! 

Archived