No place to hide: Immigration’s new biometric system nabs 45,000 overstaying foreigners in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Wonder where else you can buy EU passports? 

31 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Wonder where else you can buy EU passports? 

You dont need to buy them they give em away free! Germany gave a million away to Syrian  Afghani and north African activists in one year. Thousands of immigrants in the UK now have EU passports. The EU/UK passport queue at LHR looks the line at the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. Under Blair the British Labour party cheated in hundreds of thousands of mainly muslim immigrants to change voting patterns and to ' rub their noses in it' ..to  punish white people,  especially working class people who objected to the mass immigration experiment. 

2 hours ago, Pisdjuk said:

Excellent! Thailand should not be known as a transit camp for foreign criminals and terrorists!

Try Viktor Bout, try Kalid Shiekh Mohammed! Both apprehended in Thailand!

Google them if you don't know who they are.

4 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Maybe they installed the system in full knowledge of declining western tourists.  Meaning a higher percentage of bad guys coming...

Its frightening to think why it took them that long to buy and use it when tourist numbers are half of entire population.

But looks like now they are super happy as the amount of money being made in fines paying itself off.;)

Biometrics is the future in all developed nations. What's sad is that refugee families are getting nabbed at the airport, while wiser criminals are slipping across land borders and hiding far from any biometric scanner or official that doesn't accept brown envelopes.

Still a step in the right direction. The days of jumping on a plane to Taiwan or Thailand to duck a warrant are over.

Now if Immigration would just take some time to review the "business" visas of all those Russians and Chinese running around the Kingdom . . . baby steps.

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

It's happening now in China.

Check out their Social Credit System, and what they're doing with facial recognition.

Every citizen is being tracked and categorized.

Facial recognition also starting in the USA - if you use Global Entry they just take a picture of you and the receipt has your name, passport etc... 

Some airlines use it to board planes...  

If a picture of your face taken in the USA verifies that you are who you are when you hold a EU passport, do you still believe that computers are not connected across borders?

How does the biometric system at arrival identify an overstay?

Or does the biometric system capture my intent to stay longer?  that would be a ground-breaking system worldwide.

or is that system working at departure and matching arrival and departure dates?  Which would be possible.  But these are overstayers who actually are leaving... still won't catch the overstay inside the country.  So not security benefit.  

Another case of weak reporting....

14 hours ago, webfact said:

...making Thailand look good

Again, that's all that matters. Looking good. Face. If that is what you want, then for a start, consider going on a diet and getting trim (not necessarily fit - that's a different thing). Or have your tailor make the uniforms in a way that don't show your appendages. Tight is sexy, but it does not work with clowns.

I came though immigration and had no problems a few weeks ago. It's a new system and takes time to settle in. All I read on this forum is constantly bashing Thailand. I've lived here for over 20 years. And I'm personally very happy here. If its so bad leave! Remember Thailand didn't ask you to come here. This is the main reason why I avoid Farangs. All you Trolls and moaners. Get a hobby. ????????????????????????????????

38 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

So nothing to do with Farang then ?

Funny, I thought I said " I suspect most of these would be Cambodians, Burmese etc". If I had meant that it's nothing to do with Farang I would of probably said something along the lines of "I suspect all of these would be Cambodians, Burmese etc"

8 hours ago, samsensam said:

if the TM30 system was fit for purpose how come there are so many overstaying foreigners i the country - it should have been easy to round them up without the 2 billion baht spend on a new system...

Ah, good call. That's where the 45,000 figure comes from. Those trying to do TM30's and can't! ????

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Of the arrests cited in the OP article, at least several of them specifically say the fake passports were purchased abroad (outside Thailand). And in the other couple cases, the article doesn't clearly say where.

Indeed, but when you have an axe to grind facts are irrelavent. 

Already well commented upon, but my first blush was us "legal" aliens are helping to pay the bin with our TM30 fines as well. 

No problem with Thai Immigration running out the riff raff from the country.  They are the ones who make it harder for us "legal" aliens, and all the s**t we've endured in the past 2 years, and moresoe in the last 9 months, is due to their nonsense.

81 million Baht in fines stand against 2'000 million in acquiring "THE system"; latter - in real money - still some USD 60 million. Must be a hell of an immigration monster - congratulations to the seller of this stuff. 

And yes, good luck to the boys at immigration. 81 million Baht among 17 million tourists = 190 million Baht in a year (taking 40 million tourists as so claimed by the Tourism Authority of Thailand). So, after 11 years you hit the break-even, guess the system will brake before ???? 

There's so much missing from the article:

How many overstayers are normally caught without the biometric?

Was a lot more effort and man hours expended to catch overstayers, to try to show benefits of biometric?

Would those with forged passports have been caught anywithout the biometric?

Isn't there a database and they scan the passport and things don't match up, regardless of biometrics?

Overstayers who don't leave Thailand are caught with biometrics?

I doubt it - when would it come into play?

Etc.

The article is like an ad for Biometrics to try to justify the expenditure.

16 hours ago, thequietman said:

On the 'down side', criminals and other dodgy people will now be aware that Thailand is not the easy transit point that it once was and so will be using somewhere else.

This will surely affect the 'tourist' numbers as TAT count all the passengers, even those in transit.

Numbers should fall which I am sure, TAT will be concerned about as they can no longer BS about the numbers. ???? 

"TAT will be concerned about as they can no longer BS about the numbers".

Yes they can and will....

Archived