No place to hide: Immigration’s new biometric system nabs 45,000 overstaying foreigners in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, Pasuwan said:

I came though immigration and had no problems a few weeks ago. It's a new system and takes time to settle in. All I read on this forum is constantly bashing Thailand. I've lived here for over 20 years. And I'm personally very happy here. If its so bad leave! Remember Thailand didn't ask you to come here. This is the main reason why I avoid Farangs. All you Trolls and moaners. Get a hobby. ????????????????????????????????

I almost forgot it was bootlicker and low life standards o-clock.

Thanks for reminding us. ???? 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I am wrong but not so long ago Big Joke said that there were no more ' illegals ' left in Thailand. Now we are told that 45,000 have been discovered almost overnight.

Call me a cynical old amphibian but I cant help but feel that an odd bit of exageration has taken place.

6 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Correct me if I am wrong but not so long ago Big Joke said that there were no more ' illegals ' left in Thailand. Now we are told that 45,000 have been discovered almost overnight.

Call me a cynical old amphibian but I cant help but feel that an odd bit of exageration has taken place.

"..that an odd bit of exaggeration has taken place.."

Gasp-how could you possibly imagine that?

8 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Biometrics is the future in all developed nations. What's sad is that refugee families are getting nabbed at the airport, while wiser criminals are slipping across land borders and hiding far from any biometric scanner or official that doesn't accept brown envelopes.

Still a step in the right direction. The days of jumping on a plane to Taiwan or Thailand to duck a warrant are over.

Now if Immigration would just take some time to review the "business" visas of all those Russians and Chinese running around the Kingdom . . . baby steps.

Refugees! Get a dictionary pal. These are international criminal scum, jumping immigration queues using their wealth and corrupt contacts to increase their wealth at the expense of genuine immigrants.

11 hours ago, OffshoreMig said:

How is it that Thai Nationals still are required to have their bio metric data collected on every UK, Australia and Canadian visa application?  At a cost of 1000THB plus additional cosst Surely bio metric data once collected does not change?

My wife has gained about 18 kg since we've been married.  Times change.

5 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

They used to have an old wire caged truck at the old Koh Samui Immigration office, it has disappeared, so maybe they are using that, just a coat of paint would be enough.

I saw such a truck a few months ago at Jomtien IO. One European,  an Ivan I think...the rest poor asians....very sad

18 hours ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

People on this site are always bashing Thailand, yes it's not perfect by far but it has some good points. You talk as if it's the worst country in the world lol I don't understand this constant flaming of Thailand or anything it does. I think this scanner is a good thing so stop bad mouthing it. It helps keep the doggy people out and that is a good thing. But you people constantly ridicule and make fun of Thailand, sure it's funny to start with but please change the the record everything you say is a so negative. I would judge from some of the ridiculous comments posted, people making the posts don't even live in Thailand, you just use this site to sound off your bigoted ignorant views that are so toxic. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY GET A LIFE

If absurd authoritarian figures make stupid false claims, using the language of freedom,  democracy and critical thought, ie English,  then they they dont need lickspittle, @rse lickers like you to defend them. Let them give their speeches in Arabic, Russian and Mandarin,  otherwise they can  expect to be ridiculed. You are not defending Thailand or the Thai people.  You are a Quisling and traitor.  A collaborator in the oppression of the Thai people.

12 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Sounds very much like a a lot of the motoring fines and  hidden cameras in Australia fines for driving over the speed limit by a couple of kms per hour, overstaying a parking meter by a couple of minutes, school zones the list is endless

As a matter of interest which laws in which  countries benefit the people who break the laws?

My point is police here do nothing to to curb the daily road deaths except collect money at roadside stick-ups. IOs use TM30 enforcement to collect fines from farangs not for security as the Immigration chief argues.

The people breaking the law benefit by not being one of the 60 who die daily on Thai roads.  There would be safer roads IF the police did proper work.

It looks as though all the farang here on forged passports and dodgy documents will soon be leaving TVForum. 

Real shame that. I got to know many and enjoyed their posts.

They will get rid of us all soon. Will not be long. Thai technology will sort it all out and the Chinese systems will keep everyone (including Thais) in check.

I'm getting ready as I type.

I fail to see how biometrics at the airport find overstayers. If they are at the airport then a check of the passport will show that up. If they are overstayers they stay well away from anywhere that will bring them to the attention of the authorities and biometrics will not come in to play. I also object to referring to asylum as a destination in the UK, brexit notwithstanding.

21 hours ago, thequietman said:

This will surely affect the 'tourist' numbers as TAT count all the passengers, even those in transit.

Evidence for that please?

Transit passengers do not fill out TM6 forms, do not pass immigration, and are obviously not counted in arrival figures (how could they be?).

So, let's see your evidence for that statement, I'm really interested in your inside knowledge.

20 hours ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

People on this site are always bashing Thailand, yes it's not perfect by far but it has some good points. You talk as if it's the worst country in the world lol I don't understand this constant flaming of Thailand or anything it does. I think this scanner is a good thing so stop bad mouthing it. It helps keep the doggy people out and that is a good thing. But you people constantly ridicule and make fun of Thailand, sure it's funny to start with but please change the the record everything you say is a so negative. I would judge from some of the ridiculous comments posted, people making the posts don't even live in Thailand, you just use this site to sound off your bigoted ignorant views that are so toxic. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY GET A LIFE

Good heavens!  Why are you so negative?  This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black!!!

16 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I have an instinctive dislike of people who use 'Big' as a prefix in their names. That aside, I have been looking for the 45,000 'nabbed'.

Nab means arrest, apprehend or capture. Have 45,000 people been arrested, apprehended or captured? Why talk about 8 people arrested over 3 days when you have 45,000 to go for? Why not a photo-op picture with the whole 45,000 people arrested?

Sickening PR to justify a stupid system. To get people through the queues in Suvarnabhumi they need to reduce the transaction time at the window, not extend it.

Have you used the system?  I think not.  I pass through the airport very frequently.  The finger scanning has not delayed processing time whatsoever.  Walk up to the desk, hand over your passport and start the scan - you are done before they've finished looking through your passport.

Nothing wrong with the system.

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Evidence for that please?

Transit passengers do not fill out TM6 forms, do not pass immigration, and are obviously not counted in arrival figures (how could they be?).

So, let's see your evidence for that statement, I'm really interested in your inside knowledge.

From the TAT website International passenger traffic increased 10.80% from 1,060,636 to 1,175,179. Of that, 578,405 were disembarking (+10.41%; 523,877); 588,618 embarking (+11.37%; 528,517); and 8,156 transiting (-1.04%; 8,242). Domestic passengers increased 12.27% from 1,910,098 to 2,144,416.

Chiang Mai International Airport continued to show growth in March. International aircraft movements registered an increase of 16.99% (1,307 to 1,529), while domestic aircraft movements increased 18.21% (4,124 to 4,875).

International passenger traffic increased 6.76% from 175,674 to 187,552. Of that,  91,013 were disembarking (+4.80%; 86,843); 93,875 embarking (+6.62%; 88,050); and 2,664 transiting (+241.10%; 781). Domestic traffic gained 13.74% from 579,072 to 658,634.

Phuket International Airport registered improved of 9.26% in international aircraft movements from 4,253 to 4,647, while domestic aircraft movements grew 10.03% from 4,078 to 4,487.

International passenger traffic increased 11.52% from 764,080 to 852,089. Of that, 411,138 were disembarking (+10.82%; 370,983); 437,056 embarking (+11.20%; 393,025); and 3,895 transiting (+5,309.72; 72). Domestic traffic improved 6.51% from 625,770 to 666,516.

26 minutes ago, thequietman said:

From the TAT website International passenger traffic increased 10.80% from 1,060,636 to 1,175,179. Of that, 578,405 were disembarking (+10.41%; 523,877); 588,618 embarking (+11.37%; 528,517); and 8,156 transiting (-1.04%; 8,242). Domestic passengers increased 12.27% from 1,910,098 to 2,144,416.

Chiang Mai International Airport continued to show growth in March. International aircraft movements registered an increase of 16.99% (1,307 to 1,529), while domestic aircraft movements increased 18.21% (4,124 to 4,875).

International passenger traffic increased 6.76% from 175,674 to 187,552. Of that,  91,013 were disembarking (+4.80%; 86,843); 93,875 embarking (+6.62%; 88,050); and 2,664 transiting (+241.10%; 781). Domestic traffic gained 13.74% from 579,072 to 658,634.

Phuket International Airport registered improved of 9.26% in international aircraft movements from 4,253 to 4,647, while domestic aircraft movements grew 10.03% from 4,078 to 4,487.

International passenger traffic increased 11.52% from 764,080 to 852,089. Of that, 411,138 were disembarking (+10.82%; 370,983); 437,056 embarking (+11.20%; 393,025); and 3,895 transiting (+5,309.72; 72). Domestic traffic improved 6.51% from 625,770 to 666,516.

Those are flight and airport statistics. That's got nothing to do with TAT tourist figures. 

17 hours ago, SilverBeast said:

So,  they made 81 million baht. But me and all my like minded friends won't be coming to Thailand ever again.  I'm a well paid, crime free individual with good money to spend.  And lots of friends in the same boat.

Thailand will just continue to make itself suffer.

So Thailand installs biometric devices in its airports just as dozens of other countries have done (and will do) and has caught some overstayers and you'll never come back to Thailand ever again? Do you overreact like that to everything in life? You must have banned or boycotted nearly everything. - must be a strange existence. 

Bye bye Mr Well Paid Man. 

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

So Thailand installs biometric devices in its airports just as dozens of other countries have done (and will do) and you'll never come back to Thailand ever again? Do you overreact like that to everything in life? Must be a strange existence. You must have banned or boycotted nearly everything. 

Bye bye Mr Well Paid Man. 

Also not forget he is crime free

I’d bet a pretty penny that a group of thai officials have already constructed a nice bribery scheme to falsify biometric data on the server side. Pay for play entry for the right price, and it bypasses the need to involve and train front line low level immigration officers to boot, schawiiiing!

On 9/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, mtls2005 said:

Seems like most of the recent "successes" have been people LEAVING Thailand.

All eight of them. And now what? Keep them? Deport them? Bad guys in, bad guys stay.

Didn't seem to prevent them from entering Thailand, with a real or fake passport, spending time here, procuring fake passports locally.

The cynic in me assumes the local document producer, or thief, then rats out the client, making a bit of dosh on both ends? 

i doubt the biometric is linked to passport initially. thus why they are catching people leaving and not arriving.

i think they pair the biometric data they take with the passport when people arrive.

maybe they see the embedded passport rfid chip which may have passport number etc, basically just passport and your description info on it, but not biometrics to my knowledge.

if there are any irregularities on exit between the chip, passport and your description they may know by just looking at the passport and seeing if stuff matches the biometric they take a second time and the entry biometric, then query database for interpol etc like they mentioned if there is a mismatch.

Archived