Future of energy: What Thailand can learn from Finland, Denmark

webfact

Future of energy: What Thailand can learn from Finland, Denmark

24.jpg

Besides being among the world’s happiest nations, Finland and Denmark have another thing in common: They are both equally ambitious to become the world’s first carbon-free country.

Finland’s left-leaning coalition government, which came to power in the elections in April this year, has embarked on a daring plan to make the country carbon neutral by 2035.    And its ultimate aim is to make Finland the first fossil fuel-free country. While the plan definitely sounds ambitious, a quick look at what the country has accomplished so far in dealing with climate change should remove any doubts about how achievable it is.

Briefing a group of Thai journalists visiting Helsinki recently, Pekka Gronlund, deputy director general at the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, pointed out that currently 38 per cent of the country’s energy consumption is from renewable energy sources, mainly wood.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/future-of-energy-what-thailand-can-learn-from-finland-denmark/

thaipbs.jpg

In a land where 8-10 street vendor plastic bags/person/day ,is the average, and one day environmental wars ,are just an opportunity to showboat and selfie ,then forgotten in 23 hours....the environment is just another cash cow ...

1 hour ago, quandow said:

I just finished watching Netflix' "Chasing Coral." I we don't take drastic measures to reduce global carbon emissions real soon, our kids and their kids will be eating soylent green.

What are these carbon emissions you speak glibly about? Are they black particles of soot or something. Was it an Al Gore documentary you watched? 

I was always under the impression it was the gas carbon dioxide CO2 that was the big bogyman and the alleged threat to life on earth. 

CO2 which is that gas which is invisible, colourless, odourless and that makes up 0.0391 percent (391 parts per million) of the earth's atmosphere and keeps the trees alive which in turn produces oxygen which we humans need to survive.

No CO2 = no trees = no oxygen = no humans.......CO2 is the elixir of life.

If there is anything Thailand could do to help preserve life on earth it would be to stop destroying forests and trees just to satisfy personal greed.

https://www.masterresource.org/carbon-dioxide/myth-harmful-co2/

Seems they forgot to mention that 34% of Finland's power comes from the current 4 nuclear reactors, and with 4 more being build that will become over 60%. Also, currently, hydro accounts for 28%. So that's almost the whole country's requirement, and no need for those fugly wind generators.

But I always said that nuclear is carbon neutral.

Go green, go nuclear!

14 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

Seems they forgot to mention that 34% of Finland's power comes from the current 4 nuclear reactors, and with 4 more being build that will become over 60%. Also, currently, hydro accounts for 28%. So that's almost the whole country's requirement, and no need for those fugly wind generators.

But I always said that nuclear is carbon neutral.

Go green, go nuclear!

And of course the greens that managed to get into the cabinet are vehemently opposed to nuclear. They got sod all to do with actual preservation of nature but all to do with teenie girl emotions and faux activism.

Thailand should learn they don't have the same favourable condition for windpower, as especially the Danes have perfected to exploit... 

sudden sporadic massive cyclone bursts are not the same as what (yearly average) happens in the (western) Baltic Sea...

50 minutes ago, tifino said:

Thailand should learn they don't have the same favourable condition for windpower, as especially the Danes have perfected to exploit... 

sudden sporadic massive cyclone bursts are not the same as what (yearly average) happens in the (western) Baltic Sea...

A) you obviously have never been outside of your village, since f.e Phuket or Khao Lak quiet good wind all year round!

B) and of course "solar" is not an option, in a country with  approx. 400 days of sunshine a year!?

This is the problem with climate deniers and nay- sayers all over the world!

Maybe...just maybe...look what solutions are viable for each country and then try to go with that!

But no...Thailand is not like the Baltic, so they should burn stuff for all eternity!

3 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

A) you obviously have never been outside of your village, since f.e Phuket or Khao Lak quiet good wind all year round!

B) and of course "solar" is not an option, in a country with  approx. 400 days of sunshine a year!?

This is the problem with climate deniers and nay- sayers all over the world!

Maybe...just maybe...look what solutions are viable for each country and then try to go with that!

But no...Thailand is not like the Baltic, so they should burn stuff for all eternity!

Denmark/Finland would be more (significatly mostly) Wind than Solar, considering their far Latitudes... 

of course there will always be some choice seaside locations anywhere on Earth, that would be wind viable 

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

What are these carbon emissions you speak glibly about?

Speak "glibly" about? Shame on you. And, yes, it's not just carbon. Just about anything that is NOT renewable is polluting us to near extinction. I was staying with the main narrative, you pick nits.

1 hour ago, tifino said:

Denmark/Finland would be more (significatly mostly) Wind than Solar, considering their far Latitudes.

Denmark yes, Finland no. In winter months there can be days of dead calm. Solar is not working in the dark winter months either. The problem is storing generated energy to fill the gaps.

4 hours ago, quandow said:

I just finished watching Netflix' "Chasing Coral." I we don't take drastic measures to reduce global carbon emissions real soon, our kids and their kids will be eating soylent green.

Yawn.....Global warming is a scam....

6 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Thailand willing to learn ANYTHING from a farang country?! ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

but Finland is so close (physically) with Russia! that the wouldn't know the difference...

Thailand looks up to Russia

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Thailand with Prayut will never learn anything as they will push ahead with 3 coal fired projects in the not so far future. 

"Thailand with Prayut will never learn anything as they will push ahead with 3 coal fired projects in the not so far future."

Correct version. ???? Your welcome.

(no blame attached to you Eric)

5 hours ago, quandow said:

Your easily fooled! evidence posted below, you can't deny facts! but you can put a "spin" on them!

If Thailand is smart they will continue to use "fossil fuels" which they are not, but won't get off track!

Geological_Timescale.jpg

1 hour ago, Saint Nick said:

On which planet is this? Most countries on Sol-3 have 365.25 days in a year (Sol-4 might fit).

But I agree solar is the way forwards here, if you only need power during the day of course.

What we need is a balanced approach in which nuclear (yes, nuclear) has a place.

One day countries will learn to get energy from what their climates and weather conditions dictate. Thailand will eventually figure out that it should start putting up solar panels on an industrial scale as it is beaming hot sunshine almost everyday, especially in the Northeast. Just have to bite the bullet and invest. I wonder how many rai of solar panels the cost of a submarine, a silly stimulus package or two or 20 tanks could buy.

Archived