Luxury resort development halted in Koh Samui

webfact

Luxury resort development halted in Koh Samui

Naew Na reported that a luxury resort development in Koh Samui has been ordered halted for flouting building regulations. 

A raid was mounted on Saturday at the hillside property by a large contingent of local land and environment ministry officials. 

The media said that buildings were being built over the 6 meter height restrictions and there was not enough common area space in contravention of the rules. 

An official said that many developments on Samui were flouting the regulations and were under investigation. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-16

If within 50 meters from the beach (coastal line) the total height of a building cannot exceed 6 meters, and any single construction cannot be larger than 75 to 100 square meters (depending of actual zone), and buildings cannot be tied together, i.e. most be separated with a certain distance between (cannot remember if it's 6 or 10 meters). Furthermore any construction must be 10 meters behind the coast line. There are some exception rules for hotels and resorts.

However, the island is divided in zones, so if it's within a so-called "city zone" by the sea, a construction can be 12 meters high, and only 3 meter from the water edge, but 2 meters inside own land. A city-zone can for example be in one of the original coastal villages where 100 or 200 meters each side of a pier construction – which might have disappeared during monsoon storms – is considered "city". 

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

If within 50 meters from the beach (coastal line) the total height of a building cannot exceed 6 meters, and any single construction cannot be larger than 75 to 100 square meters (depending of actual zone), and buildings cannot be tied together, i.e. most be separated with a certain distance between (cannot remember if it's 6 or 10 meters). Furthermore any construction must be 10 meters behind the coast line. There are some exception rules for hotels and resorts.

However, the island is divided in zones, so if it's within a so-called "city zone" by the sea, a construction can be 12 meters high, and only 3 meter from the water edge, but 2 meters inside own land. A city-zone can for example be in one of the original coastal villages where 100 or 200 meters each side of a pier construction – which might have disappeared during monsoon storms – is considered "city". 

On Koh Phangan the distance between buildings is 4 metres and no more than 6 metres in height however I was allowed a build of up to 150 sq mtr including all overhangs when I submitted the plans the Army was in situ in all the government offices there was no under the table brown envelopes indeed the planning department came out on a number of occasions before any blue books were issued my building is further back from the beach than properties around me as per the planning instruction so I can sleep at night knowing everything has been done as per their instructions.

8 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

On Koh Phangan the distance between buildings is 4 metres and no more than 6 metres in height however I was allowed a build of up to 150 sq mtr including all overhangs when I submitted the plans the Army was in situ in all the government offices there was no under the table brown envelopes indeed the planning department came out on a number of occasions before any blue books were issued my building is further back from the beach than properties around me as per the planning instruction so I can sleep at night knowing everything has been done as per their instructions.

Or as much as anyone can sleep at night on Koh Phangan.

11 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

from that picture looks more like a villa than a resort?

Numerous rental villas on Samui are intended for 6-12 gusts in 3 to 6 bedrooms, but it looks like there are more chairs than that in the photo.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Since all the links to "Naew Na" seem to be dead at the moment, I'm wondering what news source that is?

Running Okay for me, it's a Thai news site.

The inspection team randomly inspected the project for the construction of a holiday home on the hillside of Koh Samui. That is above the average sea level from 80 meters to 140 meters, which is allowed to single residential buildings. Not more than 6 meters in height, the size of the land plots submitted for permission must have an area of not less than 100 square wah, the maximum ground cover area of not over 90 square meters, which is free for not less than 70 percent of the land area for building permission. And there is a green area of not less than 50 percent of that space

100 square wah is 400 square meters.

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Until they change their mind or the local mafia want what you have

1 hour ago, Blue bruce said:

If the inspectors got out from behind their desks and did more field inspections they could avoid these problems

There are about a dozen houses built on illegal land titles in the area where I live. The brown envelope planning application form certainly works wonders.

Archived