Jump to content
BANGKOK
Don Mega

Need translation help please.

Recommended Posts

Got a parcel arriving and according to my missus it is out for delivery but what is written in the far right column at the bottom..

thailand post.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In France, "poste restante " means that your parcel or letter is waiting for you at the post office

Because it's a French expression, I guess it has the same meaning in English 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

 

Awesome, thanks.

 

What does post restante mean ?

Post Office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Aforek said:

In France, "poste restante " means that your parcel or letter is waiting for you at the post office

Because it's a French expression, I guess it has the same meaning in English 

Thanks, prolly does mean the same in English but its a term Ive never heard before, now to work out where the <deleted> Chaloem Thai Junction is !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a special counter in the post office, with a board written " poste restante "; you go with your passport ; many years ago I received my mail in poste restante at the big Bangkok Post office

if it's a small post office, maybe there is no special counter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aforek said:

It's a special counter in the post office, with a board written " poste restante "; you go with your passport ; many years ago I received my mail in poste restante at the big Bangkok Post office

if it's a small post office, maybe there is no special counter 

Thanks, Seems Chaloem Thai Junction  post office is 60km away in Chonburi.... kinda odd given I live darkside Pattaya.

 

Normally they leave a slip in the mailbox telling me to go to the post office........ Wonder why not this time ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe taxes? Or they can't decipher the address.

Normally for tax it would show something like "exception"

You can write Post Restante and it won't be delivered, but held at the local office until you contact them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Thai it actually says 'awaiting delivery' so maybe don't hurry down to that office until tomorrow. Normally for tax in Pattaya it is handled at Naklua office

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, digbeth said:

Maybe taxes? Or they can't decipher the address.

Normally for tax it would show something like "exception"

You can write Post Restante and it won't be delivered, but held at the local office until you contact them

Its definitely taxes, Not sure what would be wrong with the address as Ive had many parcels from abroad arrive and collection has been from the post office in my soi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for taxes, you'd have to wait for them to deliver you the green slip, I've had case where I've shown up with the tracking no. but without the green slip telling you how much to pay, the local office don't have authority to set how much to charge. Or maybe that office in Chonburi can negotiate the tax with you.

 

For some really big ticket item, I've even had to go to the main sorting office in Bangkok (Laksi) to pay them, maybe they're fearing that if you see too big a tax bill and wouldn't turn up at all, and could make arrangement to go rummaging around the back of the post office after they have thrown out the item after a 'no show' or rejection to pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, digbeth said:

for taxes, you'd have to wait for them to deliver you the green slip, I've had case where I've shown up with the tracking no. but without the green slip telling you how much to pay, the local office don't have authority to set how much to charge. Or maybe that office in Chonburi can negotiate the tax with you.

 

For some really big ticket item, I've even had to go to the main sorting office in Bangkok (Laksi) to pay them, maybe they're fearing that if you see too big a tax bill and wouldn't turn up at all, and could make arrangement to go rummaging around the back of the post office after they have thrown out the item after a 'no show' or rejection to pay. 

Nah not big ticket, cost me $20 AUD..... Taxes will most likely be Bt.3000 !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...