Need translation help please.

Don Mega

52 minutes ago, Aforek said:

In France, "poste restante " means that your parcel or letter is waiting for you at the post office

Because it's a French expression, I guess it has the same meaning in English 

Thanks, prolly does mean the same in English but its a term Ive never heard before, now to work out where the <deleted> Chaloem Thai Junction is !!

It's a special counter in the post office, with a board written " poste restante "; you go with your passport ; many years ago I received my mail in poste restante at the big Bangkok Post office

if it's a small post office, maybe there is no special counter 

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

It's a special counter in the post office, with a board written " poste restante "; you go with your passport ; many years ago I received my mail in poste restante at the big Bangkok Post office

if it's a small post office, maybe there is no special counter 

Thanks, Seems Chaloem Thai Junction  post office is 60km away in Chonburi.... kinda odd given I live darkside Pattaya.

Normally they leave a slip in the mailbox telling me to go to the post office........ Wonder why not this time ?

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

Maybe taxes? Or they can't decipher the address.

Normally for tax it would show something like "exception"

You can write Post Restante and it won't be delivered, but held at the local office until you contact them

Its definitely taxes, Not sure what would be wrong with the address as Ive had many parcels from abroad arrive and collection has been from the post office in my soi.

for taxes, you'd have to wait for them to deliver you the green slip, I've had case where I've shown up with the tracking no. but without the green slip telling you how much to pay, the local office don't have authority to set how much to charge. Or maybe that office in Chonburi can negotiate the tax with you.

For some really big ticket item, I've even had to go to the main sorting office in Bangkok (Laksi) to pay them, maybe they're fearing that if you see too big a tax bill and wouldn't turn up at all, and could make arrangement to go rummaging around the back of the post office after they have thrown out the item after a 'no show' or rejection to pay. 

3 minutes ago, digbeth said:

for taxes, you'd have to wait for them to deliver you the green slip, I've had case where I've shown up with the tracking no. but without the green slip telling you how much to pay, the local office don't have authority to set how much to charge. Or maybe that office in Chonburi can negotiate the tax with you.

For some really big ticket item, I've even had to go to the main sorting office in Bangkok (Laksi) to pay them, maybe they're fearing that if you see too big a tax bill and wouldn't turn up at all, and could make arrangement to go rummaging around the back of the post office after they have thrown out the item after a 'no show' or rejection to pay. 

Nah not big ticket, cost me $20 AUD..... Taxes will most likely be Bt.3000 !!

Archived