Medical for Work Permit Renewal - TM 30 not the only pointless task

Just been informed that as from 19 August, for annual Work Permit renewal I now need to have blood tests to prove that I don't have "leprosy, tuberculosis, drug addiction, alcolism, elephantiasis or tertiary syphilis".

Not sure if this is just for BOI or all work permits, but what a total ffing waste of time (and blood)!

I doubt you really need the blood test.  That is just a scam by some clinics and hospitals (except perhaps for local country workers).  Go to Medconsult Asia and Dr. Donna will sort it for 180 baht and no blood test.  She is British but has a Thai doctor license.

20 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

I think what you mean to say is Dr. Donna performs all mandatory tests as set forth by Thai regulations and does as very good job of it for a fair price. I'll be seeing her next month for my annual renewal.

Nope. I think that is what you want to say.  Which is fine with me. 

Edited by ricklev
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jano22 said:

When i came here in 2010 , this test was listed on the web page of the Thai embassy in Norway. I came on a non-o visa from the Norwegian thai consulate. Before i went to immigration for extension i was in Bangkok hospital in Pattaya and took those tests. When i came to immigration they dont even want to look at it. The same for the criminal record that also was listed on the Thai embassy webpage.

The topic is about work permit applications not visas or extensions.

No Thai embassy or consulate can correctly list what immigration wants for extensions since they do not issue them. It seems you were reading the the requirements for a OA long stay visa.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kinnock said:

ust been informed that as from 19 August, for annual Work Permit renewal I now need to have blood tests to prove that I don't have "leprosy, tuberculosis, drug addiction, alcolism, elephantiasis or tertiary syphilis".

really intended for workers from under-developed countries/geography where those diseases are prevalent. blood tests for leprosy, tb, drug/alcohol addiction, elephantiasis dont exist. most of the stuff is based on history and ros

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ricklev said:

I doubt you really need the blood test.  That is just a scam by some clinics and hospitals (except perhaps for local country workers).  Go to Medconsult Asia and Dr. Donna will sort it for 180 baht and no blood test.  She is British but has a Thai doctor license.

Good suggestion - but not sure how you can confirm absence of TB, Elephantiasis and Leprosy without doing a blood test?

3 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Good suggestion - but not sure how you can confirm absence of TB, Elephantiasis and Leprosy without doing a blood test?

Just asked the WP agent who said tests need to be performed by a 'Government Hospital'.

I'll check again for next time, but short of time as about to head to US and UK so need a valid cert this week.

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

Just asked the WP agent who said tests need to be performed by a 'Government Hospital'.

I'll check again for next time, but short of time as about to head to US and UK so need a valid cert this week.

You or your company needs a new agent.

One can expect that they will also look into the foreigner cases of those who are afraid of the needle too.

Just another source of income they are missing, and for some reason haav overlooked.

Beside why afraid of the needle as it is also extra heatlh check moment for yourself on this things.

In many other coutries or at work this is mandetory to do.

38 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

One can expect that they will also look into the foreigner cases of those who are afraid of the needle too.

Just another source of income they are missing, and for some reason haav overlooked.

Beside why afraid of the needle as it is also extra heatlh check moment for yourself on this things.

In many other coutries or at work this is mandetory to do.

Not much income - pointless blood test, unnecessary chest X-ray and urine test for drugs cost me 670 THB today.

And if somehow I'd contracted TB, leprosy or elephantiasis in the last 12 months, I'm pretty sure it was not from my home country.

Just received my work permit after renewal. Renewal was applied for yesterday with the same THB 200 medical certificate where only my weight and blood pressure was checked by the doctor. It was accepted and the work permit renewed with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went through this whole bs trip this yr (1st time ever working in BKK). 1st cert, 200 baht from a government hospital. Needed to show my renewed TCT Teachers Licence. Hadn't been able to apply as TCT required a WP app receipt. They gave me 3 months. Made the renewal app and TCT said 3 months by mail. Went back as WP was nearly up but nothing from TCT yet. Showed them the receipt and they then turned down my medical because it was over 1 month old now. Was also told that it didn't have syphilis included as an add on because their form didn't list it as the required 5. Got a new medical and had the doctor add syphilis to the list. Can do but it's an extra 100 baht for the extra blood test of the same vile of blood. Went back and they gave me 6 more months and said return in 5 and show new licence. Going back in dec but will need 1 more medical as the last 2 are more than 1 month old. In dec should get the last 3 months of my 1 yr WP that I should have been given the 1st trip.

Then it'll be time for a new contract and another freakin medical. Was tempted to ask why they check for syphilis as it's an STD and I only teach the kids, not date them but held my tongue. 

For any government related health checks I use the Police General Hospital in Phatum Wan.

They are usually aware of specific requirements.

Sometimes a bit crowded, but very friendly. Discounts if you show a valid WP.