BANGKOK
Kinnock

Medical for Work Permit Renewal - TM 30 not the only pointless task

Just been informed that as from 19 August, for annual Work Permit renewal I now need to have blood tests to prove that I don't have "leprosy, tuberculosis, drug addiction, alcolism, elephantiasis or tertiary syphilis".

Not sure if this is just for BOI or all work permits, but what a total ffing waste of time (and blood)!

A medical certificate has been required for work permit applications and extension of them for some time now. 

Apparently it was not required before if working for a BOI company,

• Thanks 2

I doubt you really need the blood test.  That is just a scam by some clinics and hospitals (except perhaps for local country workers).  Go to Medconsult Asia and Dr. Donna will sort it for 180 baht and no blood test.  She is British but has a Thai doctor license.

20 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

I think what you mean to say is Dr. Donna performs all mandatory tests as set forth by Thai regulations and does as very good job of it for a fair price. I'll be seeing her next month for my annual renewal.

Nope. I think that is what you want to say.  Which is fine with me. 

Edited by ricklev
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jano22 said:

When i came here in 2010 , this test was listed on the web page of the Thai embassy in Norway. I came on a non-o visa from the Norwegian thai consulate. Before i went to immigration for extension i was in Bangkok hospital in Pattaya and took those tests. When i came to immigration they dont even want to look at it. The same for the criminal record that also was listed on the Thai embassy webpage.

The topic is about work permit applications not visas or extensions.

No Thai embassy or consulate can correctly list what immigration wants for extensions since they do not issue them. It seems you were reading the the requirements for a OA long stay visa.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kinnock said:

ust been informed that as from 19 August, for annual Work Permit renewal I now need to have blood tests to prove that I don't have "leprosy, tuberculosis, drug addiction, alcolism, elephantiasis or tertiary syphilis".

really intended for workers from under-developed countries/geography where those diseases are prevalent. blood tests for leprosy, tb, drug/alcohol addiction, elephantiasis dont exist. most of the stuff is based on history and ros

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ricklev said:

I doubt you really need the blood test.  That is just a scam by some clinics and hospitals (except perhaps for local country workers).  Go to Medconsult Asia and Dr. Donna will sort it for 180 baht and no blood test.  She is British but has a Thai doctor license.

Good suggestion - but not sure how you can confirm absence of TB, Elephantiasis and Leprosy without doing a blood test?

3 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Good suggestion - but not sure how you can confirm absence of TB, Elephantiasis and Leprosy without doing a blood test?

Just asked the WP agent who said tests need to be performed by a 'Government Hospital'.

I'll check again for next time, but short of time as about to head to US and UK so need a valid cert this week.

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

Just asked the WP agent who said tests need to be performed by a 'Government Hospital'.

I'll check again for next time, but short of time as about to head to US and UK so need a valid cert this week.

You or your company needs a new agent.

58 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Are you afraid of a little needle. 

• Confused 1