AIS internet reception

Haso

I spend 2 months of the year.. One month at a time in a village outside Surin Town. I would like to get a good internet connection to use my Android Box to watch movies and sport during that time without having a 12 month contract. Can you get a dongle from AIS on a monthly basis with a card that would give sufficient data to use my android box. Any other suggestions that might work. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Keep in mind that some things are against the terms of service using AIS data.  Such as downloading torrents.  They actually block bittorrent but there are ways around that.

Obviously they allow Netflix if their ad says that.  But you did not specify Netflix in your question. I am not sure what is allowed but I know bittorrent is definitely not.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, Buuge said:

http://www.ais.co.th/nextgmaxspeed/en/

the 1,099 plan should work for you.

I wouldn't pay extra for nextgmaxspeed super duper ultra blah blah or whatever they are calling it.  

The industry term is LTE advanced.  I got that package for one day to try it out.  I was rarely able to get up to LTE advanced speeds.  Only place I was able to get anything impressive was 3rd floor of Central Festival in Pattaya.  Near Carls Jr.  100Mb/s down, 50Mb/s up.  That's the ONLY place I got that.  Most other places in the mall it was about the same as non LTE advanced plan.  Maybe a little bit faster.  Non Lte Advanced plans seem to average around 20Mb/s down and up (can vary widely depending on signal strength and how busy that tower is) are probably more than adequate for most people.

Not sure if it's because they don't have a lot of towers that support LTE advanced yet in Pattaya or maybe you need a really good signal with direct line of sight to the tower or something.

21 hours ago, shdmn said:

I wouldn't pay extra for nextgmaxspeed super duper ultra blah blah or whatever they are calling it.  

The industry term is LTE advanced.  I got that package for one day to try it out.  I was rarely able to get up to LTE advanced speeds.  Only place I was able to get anything impressive was 3rd floor of Central Festival in Pattaya.  Near Carls Jr.  100Mb/s down, 50Mb/s up.  That's the ONLY place I got that.  Most other places in the mall it was about the same as non LTE advanced plan.  Maybe a little bit faster.  Non Lte Advanced plans seem to average around 20Mb/s down and up (can vary widely depending on signal strength and how busy that tower is) are probably more than adequate for most people.

Not sure if it's because they don't have a lot of towers that support LTE advanced yet in Pattaya or maybe you need a really good signal with direct line of sight to the tower or something.

I think I need to correct my previous statement.  Like everything else, AIS needs to make things as complicated and confusing as possible.  I went and talked to them in their office because I happened to be there anyways.  From what they told me, it sounds like the NextG plan(s) are nothing more than a regular 4G data plan bundled with superWifi whatever the hell that is.  I have found most of their WiFi hotspots to be almost useless, usually very slow or unresponsive.  I can't imagine SuperDuperWifi hotspots or whatever will be any better and what's the point trying to log in at different locations when you can just use 4G data and be done with it?  Works everywhere and no logging in at each location required.

Regarding LTE Advanced.  I think that just works if you have any 4G data plan, your phone supports it, and the cell site you are connected to supports it.  I checked at the same locations around Central Festival while on a regular 4G data plan and was getting the same speeds I was getting on a NextG data plan.

Archived