Farage says Brexit will be delayed again when PM Johnson's deal falls

webfact

Farage says Brexit will be delayed again when PM Johnson's deal falls

By Guy Faulconbridge

2019-09-16T070930Z_1_LYNXMPEF8F0D7_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-VOTERS.JPG

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage speaks during a Brexit Party news conference in London, Britain August 27, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls/Files

SOUTHPORT, England (Reuters) - Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage says he believes Britain's departure from the European Union will be delayed again because parliament will reject Prime Minister Boris Johnson's attempt to do a last-minute deal with Brussels.

Cast by his supporters as the godfather of Brexit, Farage said Britain's exit, due on Oct. 31, was now in doubt as what he called the political elite in London was plotting with the EU to betray the 2016 referendum, in which Britain voted 52%-48% to leave.

Farage said Britain was in the grip of its biggest row since the English Civil War in the 17th century and that Johnson risked destroying his Conservative Party as he was trying to reheat the failed exit deal of his predecessor Theresa May.

"At the Oct. 17-18 EU summit there will be some give from the European Union and Boris will bring it back to parliament before Oct. 31 and, I suspect, fail to get it through," the Brexit Party leader told Reuters in an interview.

"So we won't leave on the 31st of October and then we are really into uncharted waters - whether parliament imposes a second referendum or we have a general election, I really don't know," Farage, 55, said.

A former commodities trader, Farage has transformed British politics over the past decade by poaching Conservative voters to force a succession of prime ministers towards ever tougher positions on Europe.

The perceived electoral threat to the Conservatives from the United Kingdom Independence Party which Farage formerly led was one of the main reasons then-prime minister David Cameron decided in 2013 to promise the Brexit referendum.

A member of the European parliament, Farage has stood for a seat in the British parliament seven times and lost each time.

But shunned by the British political establishment, Farage, backed by Eurosceptic financiers, helped sell Brexit to millions of voters in England and Wales who felt ignored by the mainstream Conservative and Labour parties.

The United Kingdom was due to leave on March 29 but it was delayed because May's deal was defeated three times by parliament.

SOME KIND OF PACT?

With the United Kingdom split down the middle over Brexit, Farage has offered Johnson an electoral pact to ensure Brexiteers remain in power to deliver the divorce, but he has so far been rejected.

A Conservative source last week said Farage was not a fit and proper person to be allowed near power - a barb he dismissed as coming from a "pipsqueak" Conservative spokesman.

"I still don't rule out the possibility of some kind of pact, some kind of deal, but I am not banking on it," Farage said, adding if Brexit was not delivered on Oct. 31 then his Brexit Party would see its poll ratings surge beyond 20 percent.

Farage has offered to not stand against Conservative candidates in return for having a free run in 80 to 90 parliamentary seats in Wales, the Midlands and the North East where his party hopes to beat the opposition Labour Party.

If the Brexit Party held the balance of power after an election, what would the kingmaker's pound of flesh be?

Answer: "a clean break Brexit".

Farage dismissed concerns over the economic impact of no-deal Brexit as "Project Fear Mark II" confected by "Whitehall pen pushers".

When asked if Donald Trump, with whom he was photographed in a gilded lift at Trump Tower shortly after the 2016 presidential election, should intervene and get involved in Brexit talks, Farage said: "I think he already is."

Farage's enemies say he sells a vision of a Britain that never was to insecure voters challenged by globalisation, though opponents admit that the failure of the main parties to address concerns over immigration allowed him to win voters.

In the English seaside resort of Southport, Farage received a standing ovation from a 1,600-seat theatre packed with supporters, some of whom shouted out "traitor" when he named prominent politicians and media organisations who he said were trying to thwart Brexit.

"We are the safety valve for the anger that will be expressed on Nov. 1 if we haven't left the European Union," Farage said. "If we don't deliver on the result of this referendum this country will never be the same again."

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden and Angus MacSwan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-16

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life would be wonderful when all the Leavers could just leave and live with the consequences.

And all the Remainers would remain in the EU.

But obviously that is not possible - sorry to state the obvious.

It seems all over the world there are more and more politicians who like to divide their nations. It's all we against them and these politicians do their best to make the situation worse.

Where are the capable leaders who unite the nation and who are willing to do compromises and explain to people that compromises are inevitable? And where are the voters who vote for these uniting leaders? 

"So we won't leave on the 31st of October and then we are really into uncharted waters - whether parliament imposes a second referendum or we have a general election, I really don't know," Farage, 55, said.

Or whether the would be "King Johnson the First" decides to defy Parliament, the Law, at least half of the people, and raise his standard in some provincial city and declare himself "Rightful and True Dictator" of........half of the people.

Not about Brexit anymore.

S***......Fan.......here it comes.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Life would be wonderful when all the Leavers could just leave and live with the consequences.

It seems all over the world there are more and more politicians who like to divide their nations. It's all we against them and these politicians do their best to make the situation worse.

Where are the capable leaders who unite the nation and who are willing to do compromises and explain to people that compromises are inevitable? And where are the voters who vote for these uniting leaders? 

Uniting a divided nation as polarised as ours just can't be done. Compromise? I am all for it, but I see the country spinning out of control as the wealthy look at at us as another asset strip and get us racing to defend our tatty flag while they live it up abroad. 

Why more people don't see this is a mystery to me.

A member of the European parliament, Farage has stood for a seat in the British parliament seven times and lost each time.

But shunned by the British political establishment, Farage, backed by Eurosceptic financiers, helped sell Brexit to millions of voters in England and Wales who felt ignored by the mainstream Conservative and Labour parties.

Sold and bought by fools????

It is a very sad situation,

Whichever way you go (remain, Brexit)  unless things go real well , which I don't think will happen,  because the dynamics that brought the ills that led to Brexit are not entirely EU caused but rather caused by the disruption the transition from the industrial era to the Information era has brought about.

In other words the snake oil you were all sold will do litle to remedy your condition, and the political will does not yet exist to do the necessary changes to adapt to the new socioeconomic paradigm. 

So if you remain and things don't go well,  Half the country will blame the other half, and if you leave, and things don't go well, the other half will blame the first half.

That's what happens when you have a vote of such importance without requiring a supermajority to provide a clear mandate. 

IMO the only viable way forward is another vote and a hope that there will be a clear decision one way or another.  Otherwise you will be fighting this thing for generations, Not to mention the real danger of the disintegration of the UK.

No skin in the game Just my opinion.

A friend of mine who has a bit of knowledge about politics told me several years ago, to be a popular politician these days you don't need to have a program that brings improvements, you need to be against the current program

Nigel Farage walks into a pub and says, I'll have a pint of beer please. The barman pours a pint, then throws it all over Farage.

'What did you do that for?' says Farage, drenched to the skin.

'Because you're in a metaphor which illustrates the stupidity of asking for something but not stipulating how you <deleted> wanted it delivered, you frog-faced sniveling cant!'

'But I'm still thirsty, so I want a pint -- this time in a glass!' says Farage.

'You can't ask again!' said the barman.

'Why not?' sniveled Farage.

'Democracy.' says the barman.

30 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Jo Swinson has the right idea, lets skip the second referendum...:coffee1:

If they not only had the majority of seats in the House, but also polled well over 50% of the votes nationwide, then I'd say go for it.

But even if she wins the most seats, will she have over 50% of the votes? The last time that happened was 1931!

So, I'm against her party's policy; let's settle this in the only true democratic way; a final, legally binding referendum.

11 minutes ago, tebee said:

But there isn't a good deal that's acceptable to any sort of majority  

I think you will find that almost any revised deal would find favour with parliament. 

The Lib Dems are duty bound to vote against against any deal as they have now said they would revoke Article 50. Labour have got to be careful; Corbyn has so many splinters in his ar5e from sitting on the fence that he will have to go with any revised deal (which is what he said he wanted) - or, concede that an election is only way to unblock the impasse.

5 hours ago, Basil B said:

Jo Swinson has the right idea, lets skip the second referendum...:coffee1:

Swinson, you and others posters who are against democracy are the swamp that has infested a great country. It is that statement of ignoring democracy embarrasses all those who fought for democracy, in two world wars.

You ought be be ashamed of yourself. If you are not, then I am ashamed for you and any other Brit who believes that ignoring the democratic referendum result, is more important than democracy itself.

3 hours ago, tebee said:

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I think you will find that almost any revised deal would find favour with parliament. 

The Lib Dems are duty bound to vote against against any deal as they have now said they would revoke Article 50. Labour have got to be careful; Corbyn has so many splinters in his ar5e from sitting on the fence that he will have to go with any revised deal (which is what he said he wanted) - or, concede that an election is only way to unblock the impasse.

Yes, the latest talk is he will bring back TM's deal with or without cosmetic changes. They reckon there are only about 10  Tory eurosceptic rebels who will oppose it and maybe 50 Lab who will support it . 

It might pass.

It's still not a good deal.

46 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Swinson, you and others posters who are against democracy are the swamp that has infested a great country. It is that statement of ignoring democracy embarrasses all those who fought for democracy, in two world wars.

You ought be be ashamed of yourself. If you are not, then I am ashamed for you and any other Brit who believes that ignoring the democratic referendum result, is more important than democracy itself.

You are living up to your name, I am ROFLMAO... ????????????

You do not know what democracy is, you and the others who say voters can not change their minds.

33 minutes ago, tebee said:

Yes, the latest talk is he will bring back TM's deal with or without cosmetic changes. They reckon there are only about 10  Tory eurosceptic rebels who will oppose it and maybe 50 Lab who will support it . 

It might pass.

It's still not a good deal.

Do not forget he has lost 23 MP's in the lats few weeks,  30 Tories in total since the last election.

First meaningful vote defeated 202-432 3 Labour and 3 independent MP's voted for...

Second meaningful vote defeated 242-391 3 Labour and 4 independent MP's voted for...

Third meaningful vote defeated 286-344 5 Labour and 4 independent MP's voted for...

You really think Labour 50 MP's will vote with the Government on basically the same deal? 

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Swinson, you and others posters who are against democracy are the swamp that has infested a great country. It is that statement of ignoring democracy embarrasses all those who fought for democracy, in two world wars

...says the person who thinks people shouldn’t exercise their right of free speech by booing a Prime Minister ???? 

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It was an advisory referendum only. Nothing is being ignored.  

" "So we won't leave on the 31st of October and then we are really into uncharted waters.."

Nigel you said it would be as easy as falling off a bar stool during referendum..... and now UK heading into areas like old maps with warning "There be dragons here...."

6 hours ago, tebee said:

Remainers don't want a good deal, that's the problem. This defines their divisiveness.

For every single referendum we've had, the losing side has accepted the result and moved on, and that is key to repairing any rifts afterwards. Even in Scotland, an similarly contentious referendum, with a similar result, has not be dragged to the brink of civil war by the losing side. Until Remainers unite around a clear and sincere vision of what they want that also accepts the result, then this situation will drag on further. Leavers are very clear and consistent, we want out, and WTO is fine.

It's Remainers who are the problem, because they keep trying to apply post-referendum conditions that they have no reasonable right to. Remainers can be bitter and angry towards Leavers all they want, but it's Remainers' own leadership that failed them. Remainers failed to make the case for Remain, failed to inform the electorate of facts, and just expected voters to lap up overt apocalyptic propaganda, all voters ever heard from Remain was how bad Leaving was, not how good Remaining was. They did this with a fair wind behind their sails, and all the resources and support they would wish for from the establishment, they hijacked the Jo Cox murder, they pulled every dirty trick in the book, and they failed.

They haven't moved on from this failure, and haven't presented a deal that they want the government to present to the EU. It's a good chance that the reason the Remain faction in Parliament has run scared of a General Election twice, is a lot to do with them having nothing to present to the electorate in terms of a positive vision and nation-uniting deal, all they seem to have is more project fear, more Judicial intervention in the Executive and Legislature, and some of them, the Liberal Democrats, want to do away with the inconvenience of Liberal Democracy altogether and just bin the result and pretend the refendum didn't happen.

This is not an approach from the left that is going to win them a General Election, and so they sit there, sulking, opposed to the people, and refusing to get a mandate from them, whilst simultaneously calling those who want to go to the people, a dictator... it'd be laughable if it wasn't so serious. Remainers seem willing to bring down every structure of our democracy in the name of remaining in the EU. When it's reached depths like that, it's really hard to see anywhere good this can go.

Political parties need to present their case to the public in a General Election, and that is the only reasonable way to settle this. Trying to play games and undermine or wreck the constitution to slip in some General Election precondition is undemocratic and unacceptable. One of the worst Speakers in history has gone, and now it's time for the MPs to go to... It's that simple.

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Farage and Brexiteers  pointing fingers at the ‘the elite’ is laughable.

Brexit funded by a handful of Billionaires, Multimillionaires and hedge fund manager, lead by old Eton-ions and their Bullingdon club chums.

Goes to show just how thick a good number of the public are. 

Archived