What should I know about adding injector cleaner to my diesel fuel

canuckamuck

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

But if it's the nozzlers, a cold start is very difficult because the Diesel oil isn't in tiny drops to self ignite. Once the engine is hot, you might not feel that much difference to a cold engine.

But of course, if the glow plugs don't work.........

But there can be other issues, a worn out starter can cause an older Diesel engine not to start. Some have bearings that can go bad, others have sintered bushings where the rotor runs in at the back and front.

That's causing that the rotor can't run straight and you lose a lot of energy you won't feel in hot weather.

A Diesel engine also needs certain RPM's to start. If the RPM's the battery and the starer are producing too low, it won't start. 

Which leads me to the next possible item, your battery. How old is it? 

A Diesel engine needs to rotate between 150 and 250 RPM to start.

Please see attached PDF file, actually for mechanic students. 

Starter systems.pdf 4.01 MB · 0 downloads

The battery is about 6 years old and has done a great job. The battery is one of the things I tend to forget about and around a month ago it wouldn't start for my Mrs. She got it jump started and drove home then I took it to a friendly tractor parts dealer who actually does a whole range of stuff including batteries where I bought 2 bottles of battery water and used 1 1/2 to fill the battery.

I got the truck home, disconnected the battery cable and gave it 13 hours on the battery charger and it was fine, but the cold weather this week is causing my bad starting problems.

So this month I will start by replacing the battery, probably next week and if that doesn't fix it, then then the next step is the glow plugs and after that it will probably be the injectors.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

A minute is enough when you've got some hills to drive up. But never accelerate a cold Diesel engine too high. Wait until it's got 80 degrees. 

It takes me a couple of km to get out onto the main road, taking abck roads around my village. Gentle and speeds below 60km/h. It's only the last two days I've noticed that. 

I didn't use the truck yesterday and today it was a right beast to start.

I did a Google search yesterday and came up with a link for 4 glow plugs. I typed in "glow plugs". I copied that plus a Thai translation and a photo and printed it out. I took it to the guy who does all the servicings and he came up with a price of 1.800 baht for the glow plugs plus labour.

I ordered them and he will do the job either late this week or early next week.

The battery seems still to be OK and once the engine fires up and is warm the truck runs as normal.

Good One. Good price.

Don't know where all the other opinions came from, but I am sure you will find that new plugs cure the problem.

They have a finite life. Be sure and check the harness - it lives a hard life under the hood getting heat soaked. If wires brittle / insulation cracked, best to replace

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Good One. Good price.

Don't know where all the other opinions came from, but I am sure you will find that new plugs cure the problem.

They have a finite life. Be sure and check the harness - it lives a hard life under the hood getting heat soaked. If wires brittle / insulation cracked, best to replace

Thanks for all the suggestions from everybody.

I will get them done and then see what happens.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:15 PM, billd766 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions from everybody.

I will get them done and then see what happens.

Hope it works out. Glow plugs and the associated temperature sensor are a common cause of your issues.

FYI, an OBD reader can be bought for a cheap price. Using one would give you a diagnostic advantage before taking your vehicle to Somchai.org.

43 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Hope it works out. Glow plugs and the associated temperature sensor are a common cause of your issues.

FYI, an OBD reader can be bought for a cheap price. Using one would give you a diagnostic advantage before taking your vehicle to Somchai.org.

I had to look up OBD reader to find out what it was. Having read about it I find that my truck predates OBD by a few years. It is old, basic and when you lift the bonnet you can see everything. No computer servicing on this one.

On 12/8/2019 at 5:56 PM, billd766 said:

The battery is about 6 years old and has done a great job. The battery is one of the things I tend to forget about and around a month ago it wouldn't start for my Mrs. She got it jump started and drove home then I took it to a friendly tractor parts dealer who actually does a whole range of stuff including batteries where I bought 2 bottles of battery water and used 1 1/2 to fill the battery.

I got the truck home, disconnected the battery cable and gave it 13 hours on the battery charger and it was fine, but the cold weather this week is causing my bad starting problems.

So this month I will start by replacing the battery, probably next week and if that doesn't fix it, then then the next step is the glow plugs and after that it will probably be the injectors.

Buy a CTEK 5.0 ....however 6 years is pretty good going especially without water ....

On Friday I took my truck in to get all 4 glow plugs replaced. I pick it up on Saturday after noon. The weather was warm and sunny and the truck started first turn on the starter.

I started it this morning and once again it started first time after the yellow heater lamp went out and it runs very well.

The cost was 1,800 baht for the glow plugs and 180 baht for labour. 

Thank you to all who made suggestions and comments.

???? ???? ????

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

On Friday I took my truck in to get all 4 glow plugs replaced. I pick it up on Saturday after noon. The weather was warm and sunny and the truck started first turn on the starter.

I started it this morning and once again it started first time after the yellow heater lamp went out and it runs very well.

The cost was 1,800 baht for the glow plugs and 180 baht for labour. 

Thank you to all who made suggestions and comments.

???? ???? ????

Missed how old our truck was. Job done anyways at a cheap as chips outlay. Well done.

The battery should be mounted in a frame and hung on a wall. An example of what can be achieved if manufacturers were more interested in efficacy.

Archived