Tax Lawyer for Thai individual

I was not able to establish a trustworthy and fair connection to a Thai Tax Consultant who could assist my Thai wife filing a future tax declaration (IF needed at all, even this question is not clear) and discuss possible issues with the authorities (IF any at all). It is even not clear as well if she needed to deal with the office of the ampoe where she is registered or with the one where she lives with me now.

Everybody I have talked to so far seems to be only interested to work for a company and not for an individual. The lawyer in question needs only to speak proper Thai, but should be connected to the tax office somehow if possible. We do not believe there should be any issues (my wife has never worked) and that she would not have to file a declaration anyway (taxes deducted by the banks), but this is in anticipation for next year and if someone would be needed it is not a good idea to wait until the last moment.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated for this seemingly very easy task is obviously more difficult than I thought. I have asked for something similar in the past here on TV but without success so I try again and hope that someone can help this time. Thank you.

Why a lawyer? If it's filing tax, I would choose a qualified accountant. They spend much more time dealing with accounts and tax filing returns than lawyers.

A lawyer tends to be more useful if you re clarifying legal aspects or technicalities of the law, or having legal disputes.

Most of the big accounting firms would have a department for this. However, depending on amounts involved they also may not be interested and/or would be expensive.

But, a small local accountancy firm sounds like it would fit the bill, would likely more suited and better value for money. 

14 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

Why a lawyer? If it's filing tax, I would choose a qualified accountant.

An "accountant" is fine. Any recommendation for one ? I suspect that for just filing a tax return the cost must not be more than 3K, but if questions arise this accountant must be able to support my wife at the Tax Office as well. Neither my wife nor myself are familiar with the tax code. See questions embedded in the original post to begin with.

Being a qualified accountant I do all my own tax affairs myself.

Years back when I was Head of Finance for a small group of Thai companies, they used to pay THB 5k a month, for filing all the VAT, WHT and other tax forms, before I brought that back in house. Again for a company and much more work, but gives an idea it's not that expensive. That was for regular monthly filings. 

If your wife has never worked, and has minimal income, and your main issue is getting money back from bank interest, I suggest you both just go along to your local tax office and ask.

If Thai she can use her Thai ID number as her tax number. It's not difficult, and the local revenue offices tend to be quite helpful.

When filing my tax returns I've asked them for clarifications from time to time and always found them helpful. I've had a few more complex issues over the years, and when I submit a tax return and I ask, they would make any minor alterations. They seemed quite happy I'd made an effort (being a foreigner especially) and changes were usually minor.

Archived