Jump to content
BANGKOK
Bassosa

How do I fix this?

Recommended Posts

My builder really outdid himself. I think we hit a new low. Contrary to agreement, he came up with this concept for our "wash basin island".

 

That is a reinforced concrete slab, recently poured, that will have a wash basin and faucet on it, resting on a sad little pile of brittle thai red bricks.

 

I rejected the work and ask him to replace the brick column with a reinforced concrete column, tied into the slab on top and ideally tied into the surface below, but it might be a little late for that?

 

Then I've asked for an additional column for more support of the slab, in the pic just left of the pipes, but this one made out of load bearing bricks, probably Qcon blocks.

 

Then with timber we create the little "home" for the pipe work, with hatch of course so we can troubleshoot the pipework.

 

Does this make sense? 

 

16sep11.jpg

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, either he does what you say or you do it.

Don't you have one of those Thai GF or wives who will yell at them and fight for you to fix it?

 

With what you have shown makes me wonder about the quality of the rest of the project.

Good luck with it...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

 

That is a reinforced concrete slab, recently poured, that will have a wash basin and faucet on it, resting on a sad little pile of brittle thai red bricks.

 

I rejected the work and ask him to replace the brick column with a reinforced concrete column, tied into the slab on top and ideally tied into the surface below, but it might be a little late for that?

Anything like you suggest has to be done prior to pouring the top slab. The bricks are probably strong enough but if you are unconvinced then a second skin beside the current one with the bricks laid on their sides will be very much stronger.

 

43 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Then with timber we create the little "home" for the pipe work, with hatch of course so we can troubleshoot the pipework.

Don't use timber as that will be a "home" for termites.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can those red bricks stand a flooding of 6 weeks? If not don't use them. That brick wall doesn't look strong enough anyway...

 

And where is the opening for the sink?

 

An IKEA kitchen would be much easyier but can't stand floods and not sure about termites.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would suggest one of these is involved.

 

61rumS3uauL._SX425_.jpg

 

Alternatively, a good, solid "farang lean" on one end will "fix" the issue.

 

1: 20 lb is over-kill

2: simply sit in the middle of the bench top, same result. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That´s a big laugh. I would actually consider to not pay the man for that work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That´s a big laugh. I would actually consider to not pay the man for that work.

what WORK?????..........

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.e0c033688f39a86e443c753a93722838.pngimage.png.86f2433148c9ef984f5f47dbc198de91.png

 

maybe should consider giving him a call 

Edited by Mavideol
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The builder knows he's done wrong and is fixing the issue. 

 

We are now considering brickwork in the shape of a U to support the slab. Not the bricks pictured because they have no loadbearing qualities and probably also not Qcon because they are quite big and I have a feeling our builder doesn't know how to use them.

Could brickwork in a U-shape provide sufficient support for the slab and if so, what bricks to use? Are those little red pressed ones any good?

Edited by Bassosa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U shape...every time I have asked a builder here to make something that is 

not square or oblong, they go in a panic and say it cannot be done.

regards worgeordie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

U shape...every time I have asked a builder here to make something that is 

not square or oblong, they go in a panic and say it cannot be done.

regards worgeordie

You mean they can't interlock the bricks to make 90 degree angles? That's insane.

 

Edited by Bassosa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

With what you have shown makes me wonder about the quality of the rest of the project.

Good luck with it...

 

Take a look at the OP's other recent threads and you will have your answer

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...