How do I fix this?

Bassosa

My builder really outdid himself. I think we hit a new low. Contrary to agreement, he came up with this concept for our "wash basin island".

That is a reinforced concrete slab, recently poured, that will have a wash basin and faucet on it, resting on a sad little pile of brittle thai red bricks.

I rejected the work and ask him to replace the brick column with a reinforced concrete column, tied into the slab on top and ideally tied into the surface below, but it might be a little late for that?

Then I've asked for an additional column for more support of the slab, in the pic just left of the pipes, but this one made out of load bearing bricks, probably Qcon blocks.

Then with timber we create the little "home" for the pipe work, with hatch of course so we can troubleshoot the pipework.

Does this make sense? 

16sep11.jpg

43 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

That is a reinforced concrete slab, recently poured, that will have a wash basin and faucet on it, resting on a sad little pile of brittle thai red bricks.

I rejected the work and ask him to replace the brick column with a reinforced concrete column, tied into the slab on top and ideally tied into the surface below, but it might be a little late for that?

Anything like you suggest has to be done prior to pouring the top slab. The bricks are probably strong enough but if you are unconvinced then a second skin beside the current one with the bricks laid on their sides will be very much stronger.

43 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Then with timber we create the little "home" for the pipe work, with hatch of course so we can troubleshoot the pipework.

Don't use timber as that will be a "home" for termites.

Can those red bricks stand a flooding of 6 weeks? If not don't use them. That brick wall doesn't look strong enough anyway...

And where is the opening for the sink?

An IKEA kitchen would be much easyier but can't stand floods and not sure about termites.

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would suggest one of these is involved.

61rumS3uauL._SX425_.jpg

Alternatively, a good, solid "farang lean" on one end will "fix" the issue.

1: 20 lb is over-kill

2: simply sit in the middle of the bench top, same result. 

The builder knows he's done wrong and is fixing the issue. 

We are now considering brickwork in the shape of a U to support the slab. Not the bricks pictured because they have no loadbearing qualities and probably also not Qcon because they are quite big and I have a feeling our builder doesn't know how to use them.

Could brickwork in a U-shape provide sufficient support for the slab and if so, what bricks to use? Are those little red pressed ones any good?

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

U shape...every time I have asked a builder here to make something that is 

not square or oblong, they go in a panic and say it cannot be done.

regards worgeordie

You mean they can't interlock the bricks to make 90 degree angles? That's insane.

1 minute ago, Bassosa said:

You mean they can't interlock the bricks to make 90 degree angles? That's insane.

You said they are making a U shape, do you mean bricks on the bottom and two pillars

or something else.

regards worgeordie

Brickwork with two 90 degree angles, creating a U-shape to support the slab that's resting on top of it, basically partially enclosing the pipework, leaving one side open for access.

Possibly by using the little red pressed bricks I sometimes see in Thailand.

Sorry, English not my mother tongue and generally bad at building lingo.

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

My builder really outdid himself. I think we hit a new low. Contrary to agreement, he came up with this concept for our "wash basin island".

Then I've asked for an additional column for more support of the slab, in the pic just left of the pipes, but this one made out of load bearing bricks, probably Qcon blocks.

Does this make sense? 

16sep11.jpg

Edited 1 hour ago by Bassosa

Good to see that the Carrara marble dunny has been done first.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Double up the brickwork or give a good thick render boths sides.

Double AND render - a centre support wouldn't go amiss if it can be incorporated - will it take the form of a cupboard? 

6 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Thanks.

Does the render add strength or do you mention it just for aesthetic purposes?

Strength, especially if you double up on the brickwork. 

Although one single rendered "wall" should be ok. 

4 hours ago, Bassosa said:

I think we hit a new low

Nah trust me they can go lower, when they use a stone as a  hammer its starting to  get bad, I sacked mine after 3  weeks ( 10  years ago), never  used one  since , prefer   to keep sane and do everything  myself, in fact it  gives  me something to do and I also take pride in what I've done, unlike a  lot of Thais.

Archived