How do I fix this?

Bassosa

9 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Nah trust me they can go lower, when they use a stone as a  hammer its starting to  get bad, I sacked mine after 3  weeks ( 10  years ago), never  used one  since , prefer   to keep sane and do everything  myself, in fact it  gives  me something to do and I also take pride in what I've done, unlike a  lot of Thais.

I completely understand. As you say, it makes a difference if you care. Skills can be acquired.

My builder is nothing special, as is evident, but this was actually his subcontractor that did this. If my builder had cared, he had supervised the subcontractor, or at least instructed them. I suspect he pays his guys peanuts and therefore has no sway with them. 

6 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

I completely understand. As you say, it makes a difference if you care. Skills can be acquired.

My builder is nothing special, as is evident, but this was actually his subcontractor that did this. If my builder had cared, he had supervised the subcontractor. I suspect he pays his guys peanuts and therefore has no sway with them.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys

Here, get a  clue,  note rebar thickness/quantity, tied into the walls, note  block not kiddy  bricks, concrete with decent quantity of cement in not water with a  few  stones, vibrated  down, this one isn't for a  sink but same principle, Dumbo could sit  on this with his Mrs and the rest of the elephants and it would  still be standing.

20140113_141021.jpg

20140113_144854.jpg

6 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Here, get a  clue,  note rebar thickness/quantity, tied into the walls, note  block not kiddy  bricks, concrete with decent quantity of cement in not water with a  few  stones, vibrated  down, this one isn't for a  sink but same principle, Dumbo could sit  on this with his Mrs and the rest of the elephants and it would  still be standing.

20140113_141021.jpg

20140113_144854.jpg

Completely over the top unless you plan putting a couple of thousand Kilo's on top. 

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Double up the brickwork or give a good thick render boths sides.

@Bassosa Well yeah everyone becomes an expert builder when they come to Thailand.

It will be strong enough doesn't look finished to me yet !!!  give the guy more time if you have a problem with it, you need a good interpreter if your going intervene during a construction of something on Thai building works. 

11 hours ago, Artisi said:

Double AND render - a centre support wouldn't go amiss if it can be incorporated - will it take the form of a cupboard? 

As I've said wait until it's finished then take issue with it if you cannot show or tell a Thai builder what you want.

They do things different here

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As I've said wait until it's finished then take issue with it if you cannot show or tell a Thai builder what you want.

They do things different here

Interestingly, the builder I used for our construct, a qualified civil engineer - was more than happy to listen and incorporate ideas and suggestions, or at least listen and discuss the point.

At the end of the build he told me he had learnt a few different ways / ideas to go about things. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

@Bassosa Well yeah everyone becomes an expert builder when they come to Thailand.

It will be strong enough doesn't look finished to me yet !!!  give the guy more time if you have a problem with it, you need a good interpreter if your going intervene during a construction of something on Thai building works. 

Yes, communication is everything. My gf who partners with me on this project does the translating but even then things get lost in translation. I might ask her to translate a worry of mine, after which 5 minutes of Thai chatter emerges, only to find out that my question has remained unanswered and they're already onto another topic.

Very frustrating but I think most of you know the feeling.

And yes, because of that lack of communication there is always the risk of criticizing work before it's completed, which sours the mood. Also, it would be wonderful to find out what someone's intent is with a certain job. I find that some workers are able to explain it quite clearly. Others can't and other don't have any intent to start with.

Also, I expect my builder to collaborate with me in finding solutions to obvious problems but I've noticed that my guy doesn't always offers us his knowledge. 

And finally, someone's word means nothing and lying is A-OK.

10 hours ago, Artisi said:

Interestingly, the builder I used for our construct, a qualified civil engineer - was more than happy to listen and incorporate ideas and suggestions, or at least listen and discuss the point.

At the end of the build he told me he had learnt a few different ways / ideas to go about things. 

Exactly if you can communicate so much the better.

This thread makes me extremely nervous... I'm just about to have some work done (extension).

Pile driving starts in a couple of days. I've already been told my request is overkill but I've seen so many extensions subside over here. 

I was overseas when the Architects drew up plans, but he seems to have followed all my Wife's instructions (we'd discussed and agreed what we wanted). We met and agreed upon a final set of plans, the builder was present.... I've no idea where this goes from here, but the team have communicated well so far so I hope it continues. 

Payment is 40% at the start, then 30%, then 20% then 10% (I'm not sure when the last 3 are expected). Pile driving is paid for separately (I'll have to measure them myself I reckon !)...

• 2 weeks later...

Final result after asking for changes.

They poured a reinforced concrete column to support the slab. Then the pipework was boxed in with regular red bricks and finally a layer of render. There is an access hatch on the inside so we can troubleshoot pipes if needed.

basin.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

There is an access hatch on the inside so we can troubleshoot pipes if needed.

Which of course means you will never have an issue with the plumbing, because life's like that ????

Looks like it's turned out OK.

Archived