BANGKOK
wrazoru

Is it ILLEGAL that a currency exchange MARKED my US$100 Bills...???

First of all... technically it's illegal in the USA: 
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/president-obama-wont-sign-dollar-bill-noting-its-a-crime

I found out because the cashier at a currency exchange near Victory Monument asked me WHERE I was using the money US dollar bills. In retrospect, Fiat Currency is universal so why should it matter where I use it? Anyway, my next trip was to Bali so I told him.

He replied immediately that suddenly there is a DIFFERENT RATE (WORSE RATE) than what is quoted on his exchange board if the US dollars will be spent in: Bali, Myanmar, Maldives.... HUH??? 

So then I told him, I will not be using the bills in either of these 3 countries. With which he replied that he will be marking the bills, with a rubber stamp he has specifically to mark the bills he cashes out to me. HUH?... isn't this technically illegal! 

I didn’t have time to argue with him, and his explanation was in Thai so neither did I understand why... and of course I preferred the better exchange rate, so I accepted the marked bills. 

However, why are they doing this? Especially when it’s likely to be ILLEGAL!

(See the marks that they made in the images attached...)

Marked USD Bills.jpg

Don’t use them. They have no right to mark currency! Of course in Thailand “ laws “ have an interpretation which are loose ! They probably did it to check if you wanted to change back to Baht ! Problem is someone you are paying may well not accept those bills!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Edited by blackcab
Name of currency exchange removed
  • Like 1

If you are going to exchange them in Indonesia,you might have

a problem,in Jakarta had a hell of a job changing some THB,

because they had marks on,little tears,bit dirty,had to take 

10 % less at a money exchanger,the only one who would do

it, it's the same as the banks in Thailand,Bangkok Bank the

worse.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Not sure about what's happening with your $ bills there, but when I used to holiday here back in the early 2000's I used to bring pristine unused £50 & £20 notes as I discovered that the banks here were very reluctant to change any notes that had any marks on them, you could find it difficult to exchange them at a local bank here.

I noticed the same thing. I had hand carried a very handsome some of money back to the U.S., but fortunately my bank in the U.S. didn't question it.

• Like 1

Ive bought a stack of $ in superich and they’ve never markedly the bills. Also, the bit about a different exchange rate is rubbish. Why did you accept ? 

I recently changed some GBP at super rich in central east ville.

He gave back 1 fifty note saying it could not be changed because it looked old and something else.

2 weeks later went back to the same place and put the said fifty in with some others and they changed it <deleted>.

I wouldn't want anyone putting a stamp on my money you don't know where you can and can not use it .

First of all... technically it's illegal in the USA: 
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/president-obama-wont-sign-dollar-bill-noting-its-a-crime

I found out because the cashier at a currency exchange near Victory Monument asked me WHERE I was using the money US dollar bills. In retrospect, Fiat Currency is universal so why should it matter where I use it? Anyway, my next trip was to Bali so I told him.

He replied immediately that suddenly there is a DIFFERENT RATE (WORSE RATE) than what is quoted on his exchange board if the US dollars will be spent in: Bali, Myanmar, Maldives.... HUH??? 

So then I told him, I will not be using the bills in either of these 3 countries. With which he replied that he will be marking the bills, with a rubber stamp he has specifically to mark the bills he cashes out to me. HUH?... isn't this technically illegal! 

I didn’t have time to argue with him, and his explanation was in Thai so neither did I understand why... and of course I preferred the better exchange rate, so I accepted the marked bills. 

However, why are they doing this? Especially when it’s likely to be ILLEGAL!

(See the marks that they made in the images attached...)

1940837237_MarkedUSDBills.jpg.5a89a8413467cd5a8479867a32795477.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If they accept only pristine unmarked bill's here in Thailand on the exchangers , so we are also entitled to the same when collecting money bills, should have refused them and go somewhere else 

• Like 1

Siam Exchange did the same thing to me years back before a Myanmar trip. First five or six bills were clean, I stopped checking and then the next five all had marks. Good bills legitimate currency, but Myanmar being finicky would not take them. Yes, really <deleted> me off too.  Never used Siam Exchange since.

I keep a little stash of US bills brought from home. I can always exchange in Thailand but it is more a travel stash. For Myanmar, Indonesia etc. I have a couple hundred Euros in there too. Always good to have. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Problem is someone you are paying may well not accept those bills!

Apparently, the bills won't be accepted in Bali, Mynamar & Maldives... 
according to SuperRich cashier.

Edited by wrazoru

21 hours ago, wrazoru said:

It's only illegal in the US, if the note is defaced...

"...with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued..."

• Like 1

Whether it's legal or not, you are now going to find it almost impossible to change those bills.

22 hours ago, wrazoru said:

at a currency exchange near Victory Monument

Sounds like one has to keep a good distance from Victory Monument for cash exchange.

I am completely clueless what this rubbish stamping earns him?

Otherwise it would be a very inventive scam.

I would be confronted with such I'd grab my money and run.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2