Is it ILLEGAL that a currency exchange MARKED my US$100 Bills...???

39 minutes ago, elgenon said:

The currency exchanges I frequent in Thailand won't accept dollars that have been marked in any way or even with tiny tears at the folding.

But they can give me baht that are are marked.

Thai banks can collect damaged Thai notes and hand them over to the Thai central bank for replacement.

Thai banks and currency exchanges buy foreign currency notes with intention of selling to people who want to buy dollars, Euros, etc. They can't turn damaged dollars into the US central bank and if they could the shipping costs would wipe out any profit they wanted to make. Those notes are still OK but can be difficult to sell to paranoid customers.

In Thailand moderately marked or damaged Thai bank notes are not a problem. In Thailand foreign currency notes that are unattractive to buyers can be a problem unloading on some buyers.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:50 PM, Time Traveller said:

OP, first time in Thailand buddy?

Ok dude, you just need to calm down. Marking bills is not illegal. Nor is it "technically illegal" as you say - (whatever that means).

The law as it stands in the US is that defacing or marking bills WITH INTENT TO DEFRAUD is illegal. A stamp or check mark is not considered an intent to defraud.

So if you don't understand why currency exchange and banks put a stamp on all currency they give out let me tell you why. Some unscrupulous customers like to claim that they were given fake bills by the money changer. So, when they return to the currency exchange with their counterfeit currency without the stamps then it's obvious to the FX exchange staff that this scammer did not get the bills from them. It primarily to protect themselves against currency scams. 

"Oh, they never stamp my bills" someone will say. Well yes they do, but you don't see anything because some of the smarter places use ink that can only be seen under UV light.

And don't worry, no one cares that there is a little check stamp on the bills. You will be able to exchange them freely   

Not in Myanmar. No way Jose. Must be in absolutely pristine condition. I guess you don't travel much.

19 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Not in Myanmar. No way Jose. Must be in absolutely pristine condition. I guess you don't travel much.

Not just in Myanmar, I have had bills rejected for the tiniest of marks which I didn't even notice in Egypt, Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, but most of all in Thailand! A few months back I had two £20 notes rejected at Vasu exchange, one had what looked like a felt tip pen mark about 2-3mm in diameter, one had a biro marking about the width of a 1 baht coin. Luckily I bumped into someone who was heading back to the UK and he took them off my hands, but not before trying half a dozen places on Sukhumvit first.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:29 PM, wrazoru said:

So then I told him, I will not be using the bills in either of these 3 countries. With which he replied that he will be marking the bills, with a rubber stamp he has specifically to mark the bills he cashes out to me. HUH?... isn't this technically illegal! 

I didn’t have time to argue with him, and his explanation was in Thai so neither did I understand why... and of course I preferred the better exchange rate, so I accepted the marked bills. 

the wee, tiny stamps are to protect the exchange in case you decide to return some fake bills.  the stamps are to show they came from that specific dealer.

they ask about destination 'cause some places, like myanmar, won't accept bills with wee, tiny stamps on them.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:53 PM, Suradit69 said:

Thai banks can collect damaged Thai notes and hand them over to the Thai central bank for replacement.

Thai banks and currency exchanges buy foreign currency notes with intention of selling to people who want to buy dollars, Euros, etc. They can't turn damaged dollars into the US central bank and if they could the shipping costs would wipe out any profit they wanted to make. Those notes are still OK but can be difficult to sell to paranoid customers.

In Thailand moderately marked or damaged Thai bank notes are not a problem. In Thailand foreign currency notes that are unattractive to buyers can be a problem unloading on some buyers.

So would I have a problem converting marked or damaged Thai notes to an American bank for American dollars? Say, after a trip?

Inside of the USA it is common for cashiers these days to mark larger denomination notes: $100 and $50 definitely, maybe $20 in some places, but $20 notes are sort of the standard issue at ATMs so lots of them around.  It's usually a yellow-ish ink marking pen, they do a slash right across the portrait.  And that's all I know about it, never inquired why.

Also, inside of the USA, I have never had notes rejected because they were too old, worn, had markings or writing on them, etc.  Even notes that had been ripped in half and taped back together are accepted, though it's been a while since I had one of those.  These guys at foreign exchange places in developing countries and the touts at border crossings that tell you your US notes are defective or unacceptable are playing a different game.

One time when loading up on cash before heading abroad I told the teller at the bank I would be traveling and needed new bills.  Usually I get a look like I'm crazy, then I have to explain, then they really don't get it and just give me what they have.  This time I went to a teller with a Mid-Eastern name, and she knew exactly what I meant.  Turned out she was from Syria.

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Inside of the USA it is common for cashiers these days to mark larger denomination notes: $100 and $50 definitely, maybe $20 in some places, but $20 notes are sort of the standard issue at ATMs so lots of them around.  It's usually a yellow-ish ink marking pen, they do a slash right across the portrait.  And that's all I know about it, never inquired why.

Also, inside of the USA, I have never had notes rejected because they were too old, worn, had markings or writing on them, etc.  Even notes that had been ripped in half and taped back together are accepted, though it's been a while since I had one of those.  These guys at foreign exchange places in developing countries and the touts at border crossings that tell you your US notes are defective or unacceptable are playing a different game.

One time when loading up on cash before heading abroad I told the teller at the bank I would be traveling and needed new bills.  Usually I get a look like I'm crazy, then I have to explain, then they really don't get it and just give me what they have.  This time I went to a teller with a Mid-Eastern name, and she knew exactly what I meant.  Turned out she was from Syria.

The yellow marker is basically invisible and is used to test for counterfeit currency. With the new currency, you dont need to even do that.

I never travel without brand new Cs and I even have a stash of brand new singles and fins for Cambo. The banks I use are alwys cooperative to give me new unmarked bills. Last year a tiny rip appeared on one and I carried that in my hat until I got back, no good over here.

Archived